7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 6:09 AM by ishaang90865327

Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window

CarrieH94 Level 1

Hi,

I cannot add scenes to my flash animation. When I go to Insert>Scene, the scene button is not selectable. When I go to Windows>Scene, the scene window is not selectable. I have also troed using the keyboard shortcuts, which have not worked either. What can I do about this? I would like to add scenes, as I am working on rather large and confusing projects.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nstead of scenes you should consider using movieclips instead.  That way you can have all on the same single timeline but still be able to edit each individually on its own timeline.

• 2. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
            CarrieH94 Level 1

Thanks!

I hadn't thought of that. I've tried looking for a good tutorial on movie clips and it's still a little confusing. Could you recommend a tutorial for this?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can get away from using scenes you are moving in a better direction.  You can work in a movieclip the same way you work on the main timeline... a MovieClip is pretty much just a portable version.

Here is a quick guide...

1) choose: Insert -> New Symbol

2) in the interface that opens select MovieClip and give it a name like you would for a scene...  click Okay

The stage displays the work area for the movieclip and its inner timeline is showing (if you have the timeline panel opened).  You should be able to see the crosshairs that mark the 0,0 registration mark for that movieclip.  For the moment just draw something in it in frame 1 and then choose Edit -> Edit Document to get back to the main timeline.

Go to the library and drag a copy of this new movieclip out onto the stage and locate it as desired - you might consider placing it so that it is at the upper left corner of the main stage so that it has the same reference as the stage relative to x and y coordinates.  Then you can doubleclick that movieclip on the stage to edit it and build the animation inside it.

If you already have a main timeline with an animation in it, you could select all the layers/frames of that animation and right click it and choose Copy Frames.  Then you can paste what you copied inside the movieclip by opening it up for editing, selecting the keyframe in it and right click that and choose Paste Frames... all layers and frames that you copied will automatically fill out inside the movieclip.

I recommend you do something simple to get the hang of it.  It is not difficult and is really no different than building the animation in the main timeline.

• 4. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
                CarrieH94 Level 1

Awesome that sounds really simple. I'll see how that works.

Thanks so much!

• 5. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
                  hirama Level 1

Dang! This is so much better than scenes! I guess I'll Use this!

• 6. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
                    Elaysa4u Level 1

The reason is because you can't use Canvas with scenes

• 7. Re: Cant Add Scenes or Scene Window
                      ishaang90865327 Level 1

Thanks! This worked

I dont know why people complicate things up