5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 7:37 AM by JimHess

Having a problem with Print Dialogue box

Sheena68 Level 1

Am using the Canon Pro 100 and the dialogue box is not allowing me to choose type of paper, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Having a problem with Print Dialogue box
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Only in Lightroom? What OS?

• 2. Re: Having a problem with Print Dialogue box
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have the same printer. The paper type is selected in the printer driver itself, and is accessed by clicking the Page Setup button in the print module. In order to choose the exact paper you are using, you have to install the profiles provided by the paper manufacturer. And that profile can be selected from either the Lightroom print module or from the printer driver, depending on how you have set your printing options. If you choose to let the printer manage the color then you need to choose the paper profile in the printer driver. If you choose to let Lightroom manage the color then you need to choose the paper profile in Lightroom. But the first step is to make sure you have installed the profiles. Have you gotten to this point yet?

• 3. Re: Having a problem with Print Dialogue box
              Sheena68 Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me.  My new iMac has Mavericks; my old computer iMac, Mountain Lion.  I have no idea if this contributes to the problem.  I also have an Apple laptop with Mountain Lion.

The print dialogue box in "Print Settings" of LR5 lists the following on both my laptop, and my old computer.   Then I've listed how my new computer reads.  As you can see, it's far less inclusive.

Old Computer & Laptop                                                                                               

Layout                                                                                                                            

Color Matching                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Paper Handling                                                                                                               

Cover Page                                                                                                                     

Quality & Media (where I could chose Plain Paper, Photo Papers > (whole list of options), Fine Art Papers > (again another whole list), Envelope, Hagaki > (a list of possibilities), as well as Other Papers > (with choices)

Borderless Printer

Margin

New Computer

Media & Quality.  In this category, under Paper Type, I have only:  Auto Select, Photo (which doesn't have any drop down menu to chose) and Plain.  That's it.

Layout

Paper Handling

Cover Page

Supply Levels

Canon usually gives you their paper automatically in the print dialogue box.  Glossy, Semi Glossy, Matte, etc.  My print dialogue box does not give me any of this.

I hope this was helpful in what's going on and that you can provide some assistance.  I went to the Print Job dialogue box >Color Management and there's a little arrow that either faces down or points to the word "Color Management".  I don't believe this is what you're referring to above.  I don't know where to go to make the choice about having LR manage the color, or the printer.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Having a problem with Print Dialogue box
                Sheena68 Level 1

Hi,

I answered Jim's response first, and if you'll notice, my new computer has Maverick.  Any direction as to resolve this issue is much appreciated.

As an aside, I had tremendous difficulty installing Creative Cloud and was an on line chat for hours to get it going.  I had no problem installing it the next day on my laptop with Mountain Lion.  I then had problems installing an update for CS6.  With Adobe's help, I installed it, but the very next day, it said I had an update in CS6 again, but it failed to update.  So, I'm having major issues with Adobe.

• 5. Re: Having a problem with Print Dialogue box
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use Windows 7, so I can't offer any help to you. I follow another forum where one of the contributors has much more knowledge about printing than I do. He has commented several times on how much more difficult it is to print using a Mac computer. I'm not trying to start any wars here. That's just what he said. I don't have any other information to share.