3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 8:43 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I set the thumbnail image of my videos that export to my computer?  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a windows 8.1 PC 64bit.

Mike OPA

How do I set the thumbnail image of my videos that export to my computer?  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a windows 8.1 PC 64bit.

Or how does Premiere 11 determine where to set the image for the video it is exporting? 

I already know how to use Freeze frame and save the image to my computer by Publish+Share/Computer/ Immage.

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: How do I set the thumbnail image of my videos that export to my computer?  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a windows 8.1 PC 64bit.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

As far as I have ever seen, Premiere Elements Windows uses the first frame of the video for its thumbnail in the program.

I know of no way within Premiere Elements to control what the program opts to do in this matter. In some compatibility

issues, it opts to give no image but a generic one.

If this is related to video upload to YouTube, I wonder if this can be done at the YouTube site after upload?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72431?hl=en

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I set the thumbnail image of my videos that export to my computer?  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a windows 8.1 PC 64bit.
            Mike OPA Level 1

Thanks ATR,

For my video, it seems to be using the last frame of the first clip, but I'm not sure.  It is definitely not using the first frame. That would be easier to manage.

Thanks for the Youtube link.  That helps for posting, but it doesn't help for having useful thumbnails to view and manage on my hard drive.

Maybe you can purpose it as a feature for the next version?

Thanks again,

Mike

• 3. Re: How do I set the thumbnail image of my videos that export to my computer?  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a windows 8.1 PC 64bit.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. We are all visitors here.

Just a bit of history....back in the days of Premiere Elements 4, you could set a "poster frame" in what was called the Project area. You did this by right clicking a blank area there and, from the drop down menu that appeared, selecting View/Preview Area, and using the poster frame feature there.

As I said, when a video imports into Premiere Elements, the thumbnail of the import has been presenting as the first frame of the video. With this Preview area "poster frame" option, you could set the video's thumbnail in the Project area so that the first frame was another frame in the video. But, this "perk" was restricted to thumbnails of the video in Project area.

If you exported to file with the first frame modified video, the export's thumbnail in Windows Explorer would present with other than the real first frame or the poster frame as the first frame.

Also, in more recent versions, I have observed that the export to file does not display the real first frame of the video in Windows Explorer. Seems random, but I have not kept track.

And, remember, at the onset I wrote

As far as I have ever seen, Premiere Elements Windows uses the first frame of the video for its thumbnail in the program.

I know of no way within Premiere Elements to control what the program opts to do in this matter. In some compatibility

issues, it opts to give no image but a generic one.

I did not say that you can expect to have the Premiere Elements' export file's thumbnail in Windows displaying with its real first frame. And, the more you get into this, depending on the versions, more details need to be added to my comment about "...first frame of video for its thumbnail in the program..."

I would have to look into all this further to get perspective on the contributing factors.

ATR

Add On...The Poster Frame feature appeared in versions 4, 7, 8, and 9 by my count.