7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 6:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips

Ron in Mtl

I an using Premiere Elements 8.

I have MP4 HD Clips from a Canon SX700 camera. When I start a project Pemiere uses DV Widesreen48KHZ Project Settings.The image on the monitor shows only a portion of the acual image. The image is distorted, vertically elongated.

The clip properties are: MPEG movie, 1920 x 1080, Frame Rate 29.97, Pixel Aspect Ratio 0.75.

I also tried starting a project with settings of AVCHD Full HD 1080I 30. I get the same results. The output on a DVD appears to be in standard format.

There is probably a simple solution for this. Could you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Ron

• 1. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Premiere Elements 8

On what computer operating system? For now assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

You need to review your video specification and project preset. There is a problem with what you presented.

You are using a 720 x 480 16:9 project preset for a 1920 x 1080 16:9 video source. You do not do that.

And, please check the pixel aspect ratio....no way 0.75.  More like 1.778 for display aspect ratio and 1.2121 for pixel aspect ratio. But, you should not be using that project preset.

Please use the project preset = NTSC/AVCHD/Full 1080i30. This has a display aspect ratio - 1.778 (16:9) and a pixel aspect ratio = Square Pixels (1.0).

If your intended export is a burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, the burn to preset in Share/Disc/DVD disc should be NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. This

is a standardized format which presents as 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. There is a 16:9 flag that

stretches the video (856 x 480)  for display after encoding.

If you have been there and done all that, then you should not be getting distortions along the way. If you are, then we have to

look deeper into your video source to make sure you have the format that you think you have.

Also, with Premiere Elements 8,

a. work with the 8.0.1 Update installed

b. have the automatic Background Rendering (Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General) and AutoAnalzyer Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options) features disabled.

Let us work through the above details to discover where the problem resides.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
            Ron in Mtl Level 1

Hello ATR

Thank you very much for the very quick response.

I am using Windows 7. As you suggested, I installed the Premiere 8 update and disabled the Auto Rendering and Auto Analyser.

I imported a new clip filmed in 1920 x 1080 16:9 format and started a new project with preset  NTSC/AVCHD/Full 1080i 30. I exported it to DVD with NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby format. The image still appears in standard format in the Premiere Monitor and also on the DVD. The image is still streched vertically.

The pixel aspect ratio of 0.75 sounds strange but that is what appears on the Properties window when I right click the clip in the Premiere Project view. My Canon camera doesn't give me any information on this, nor does the Properties panel of Elements Organiser. Is there another way of getting the properties of the clip?

Should I update to a more recent Premiere? Any help you can give me is apprciated.

Ron

• 3. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

There should be no need to move to another version of Premiere Elements regarding this matter.

If you have

1920 x 1080 16:9 source

1920 x 1080 16:9 project preset

and your burn that Timeline to NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc,

you will have 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second as NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

1. Right click the file's thumbnail under Project tab and select Interpret Footage. What does the Frame Rate area show for file frame rate, and what does the Pixel Aspect Ratio area show for the file's pixel aspect ratio?

InterpetFootage.JPG

2. Depending on the results from "1", please take the source file that you are importing into Premiere Elements and run it through the video properties readout program named MediaInfo.

MediaInfo | SourceForge.net

Use the MediaInfo (tree view) to view the video and audio properties. Please give us the essential details

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Width

Frame Height

Frame Rate

Scan Type = Interlaced or Progressive

If interlaced, Scan Order = upper or lower field first

Display Aspect Ratio

Please review and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
                Ron in Mtl Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks again for your help in solving my problem. I won't be able to get back to you for several days, but I will get back to you.

Ron

• 5. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Do not give up. The resolution will be in those details.

ATR

• 6. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
                    Ron in Mtl Level 1

Hello ATR,

Better late than never.

Since my last message I recorded more films while on a trip. When I tried to edit the clips in Premiere 8, it continuously froze. This continued even after I reinstalled the software.

I corrected the problem by upgrading to Premiere 13. This version is working well. I no longer have the aspect ratio problem that I reported with Premiere 8.

Thanks for your help. This is a very useful forum

Ron

• 7. Re: Cannot get widescreen proportions for MP4 HD clips
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ron

Thanks for your follow up. Much appreciated.

From what you described, you should have been able to use Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, but....  We are glad that Premiere Elements 13 is compatible with your computer operating system and your project goals.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification.

ATR