9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 7:15 AM by A.T. Romano

Choosing a target bitrate

Tebe

Greetings.

My source material is M2T 1920 x 1080i 25 and has an average bitrate of about 18.000 kb/s and I was wondering: When choosing the target bitrate for export does it make any sense setting it higher than the bitrate of the source material?

Can the output quality actually still improve when the target bitrate exceeds the original bitrate?

And if this is the case, what would be a good bitrate to choose for my project (its a holiday video and is supposed to be archived, high quality definetly desired)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

TB

• 1. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TB

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you sure about the bitrate of your source as 18.000 kilobits per second.

My source material is M2T 1920 x 1080i 25 and has an average bitrate of about 18.000 kb/s

What is your intended export of this file from your Premiere Elements project? Are you under any file size restrictions?

These types of bitrate situations are best addressed by exploration and experimentation for the specific video involved.

Setting a target (a relative average bitrate) and maximum for one encoding session for a particular video does not

necessarily mean you will get the same bitrate result with another video.

With some confirmation and additional information requested, we can try to fine tune the reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
            Tebe Level 1

Hi A. T. Romano.

Thanks for the response.

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Premiere Elements 12, Win 7 64bit.

Are you sure about the bitrate of your source as 18.000 kilobits per secondut the bitrate of your source as 18.000 kilobits per second.

Thats at least what the source file's properties say. The manual of the camera (Lumix DMC-TZ31) the footage was shot with unfortunately doesn't specify at which overall bitrate the files are saved.

What is your intended export of this file from your Premiere Elements project? Are you under any file size restrictions?

No file size restrictions. I'd like the export file to be stored in an archive on a portable harddisk with the possibilty of occasional viewings via a laptop connected to a TV with HD capability. No web uploads, no DVDs, no Blue Rays. High quality is definitely desired.

Cheers,

TB

• 3. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TB

Thanks for your reply.

If your source files are coming from that Panasonic camera (no detours for conversions), the the bitrate used for its formats are in units Mbps (megabits per second) and not Kbps (kilobits per seconds).

Since your question goes to video bitrate, we should confirm the bitrate of what you are importing into Premiere Elements.

The Lumix DMC-TZ31 has several recording modes. Can you tell us which one of these modes you are using? Some possibilities might be

GPH, GFS, FSH, others.

Let us see if we can find the bitrate of the source files from the camera's recording mode information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
                Tebe Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano.

Thanks for helping.

The footage is straight from the camera - no detours and the recording mode is FSH.

Cheers,

TB

• 5. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

TB

Thanks for the additional information.

From what I have read online, I am going with your source video from the FSH mode having a bitrate of 17 Mbps (megabits per second).

I am also assuming that your source video is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second.

Please look at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i25

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset

FSH.JPG

First try the Adobe default Target Bitrate (Mbps) = 25 and Maximum Bitrate (Mbps) = 30. If that looks great and the file size is OK with you,

then go with those Bitrate settings.

If you want to work with the original file's Bitrate = 17 Mbps, then change the Target Bitrate = 17 Mbps and the Maximum Bitrate = 22 Mbps and evaluate the quality of it as well as the file size.

There will get to a point where increasing the bitrate does not give better quality, just increases the file size. You need to balance quality and file size in your export bitrate settings.

Please let us know if any of the above worked for you. In this type of consideration, exploration and experimentation are keys to success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
                    Tebe Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano.

Thanks for responding.

I tested the default setting you suggested and the quality and file size seem fine, so I think I'll stick with that.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,

TB

• 7. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

TB

Wonderful news. Glad the bitrate settings turned out well for you. Often that is type of consideration is an exploration and experimentation exercise trying to balance quality with file size for your particular video.

You did well.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need clarification for your Premiere Elements workflows as you move forward.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
                        fredowww66 Level 1

Why not opt in for "render at maximum depth" ?

Is there a minus for this (beside the longer render time) ?

And for the sound, is 192 kbps not a little bit to small for, as demanded, a very good result ?

• 9. Re: Choosing a target bitrate
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

fredowwww

Apparently Tebe's specific issue was resolved in September 2014 with what was needed to resolve that issue. Now in June 2015, you have questions about "Render at Maximum Depth" and "the use of an audio bitrate of 192 kbps - too low".

The answer to both questions is "it depends". If you are having a specific problem in these areas with one of your particular Premiere Elements workflows, please give the specifics of that workflow and a description of the issue that is presenting.

1. Are you having video color issues with your source media?

2. Are you encountering audio quality issues related to bitrate as well as other properties of the audio clip?

3. Are you trying to export a Timeline content with transparency and maintain the transparency in the export?

Tags might be: color depth of source, more cpu need, audio bitrate and what can and cannot be typically heard, bitrate consideration in audio video out of sync issues.

ATR