5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 11:28 AM by ssprengel
      • 1. Re: Organizing my folders and now cannot locate them...they are not showing up? Panic time!
        dj_paige Level 9

Step 1: Don't panic

Step 2: Tell us more about what you have done (especially concentrating on the time when the folders were present, and to the time where the folders are gone). Describe what you see (or don't see) in Lightroom that makes you say "now cannot locate them". (Or better yet, show us a screen capture) Also please state your operating system and your version of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Organizing my folders and now cannot locate them...they are not showing up? Panic time!
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What does “organizing folders” mean, exactly, moving then in LR or moving them in the OS?

What does “they aren’t showing up” mean, exactly, there is a question mark next to them in LR, or they aren’t showin in LR’s folder list at all?

• 3. Re: Organizing my folders and now cannot locate them...they are not showing up? Panic time!
            NEOS13

Hi   everyone, I have a similar problem:

Using windows explorer I copied all my data from my tower computer to a new external harddisk which is and operates as a NAS system (Western Digital myCloud).

The aim is to use my data from 2 devices: The tower computer and a laptop.

Unfortunately I had to learn that lightroom catalogues can't be opened when stored in the network. Thus I copied 1 catalogue from the NAS system to my laptop, again using windows explorer. This catalogue works perfectly except for developing the pictures... Lightroom can't find the originals.

How can I change the storage location / folder path of my original pictures belonging to this catalogue?

Thanks for every reply.

• 4. Re: Organizing my folders and now cannot locate them...they are not showing up? Panic time!
              DianeHolderfield'sphotos Level 1

Thanks guys! Not sure what the heck happened but I opened up in finder and located them finally! I have almost 13,000 images organized on there! Would have been a task to rename and re-do making all of the folders!

Thanks again---enjoy this forum!

• 5. Re: Organizing my folders and now cannot locate them...they are not showing up? Panic time!
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Neos13, the path to the NAS needs to be the same on both computers, device-name and/or drive-letter and the path down to each photo.  LR remembers the full path where you import the pictures from and if that is different, now, then LR cannot find the photos.  Once the path is the same on both computers, then you need to update LR's folders to use the new path.  You do this by right-clicking on the very top-level folder(s) in LR's folder panel and choosing Locate Missing Folder, or whatever the specific verbiage is nowadays, and then browse over to that folder,  on the NAS click Ok or Open or whatever the button says on your OS.  Then everything under that folder will work in LR, again.  If you have more than one top-level folder then repeat the process for each one.  You should only have to do this once if both computers have the same identification for the NAS.

I do what you're doing, except have computers in two different places, so use  a USB3 WD external drive that I swap between my two computers.  Since it is seen as a local drive, I can put the catalog and all my photos on it.  I have the drive letter set a P: on both computers and everything works ok.  I do always back up this USB3 HD to another USB3 HD every night or sometimes during the day, synchronizing any added, deleted, or modified files from one to the other, but skipping over everything that is the same.  I make this backup because a portable HD is more easily stolen, lost, dropped or otherwise damaged than an internal HD.  It is always a good idea to have a backup somewhere, anyway, because eventually all hard-drives fail.