1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 4:29 PM by norman.sanders

Turning an object inside out

chobe002 Level 1

I am using PS CC and I am trying to turn an object inside out. I'm using the image below and essentially I am trying to get the blue teeth to show up on the outside of the circle (creating a gear shape). Any ideas short of cutting off a tooth and duplicating it around the outside?

Equip_gear_logo_0001_Secondary-Gear.png

• 1. Re: Turning an object inside out
          norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

gear.jpg

The illustration above may be the solution you are after. The bottom layer is the image you posted with your message. The layer above it to holds a dupe of the bottom layer image plus the mask that eliminates the internal teeth. The top layer holds the essence of the technique: A tooth was copied from the bottom image and placed on the outer rim of the ring. Then the Free Transform tool was used with a step-and-repeat technique -- using the center of the gear as the pivot point and a 45 degree rotation distance for each tooth (360 degrees/8 teeth = 45). It produced the ring of teeth shown in the top layer. Accurate placement of each tooth is precise, semi-automatic (you just strike a key to create each tooth) and fast. If this approach to the problem meets your needs but you are unfamiliar with the Free Transform/step-and-repeat method, please let me know and I will set about writing and posting detailed instructions for you.