7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 3:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.

Valdo_PT

I was told to start a new discussion about my problem: The Mpeg rendering have such bad quality in APEleements, and it trembls so much whenever there is movement in the vídeo. I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0 and the quality for the same videos is so much better. I wanted to buy APElements also, but watching the APE rendered film, made me not want to buy it anymore. (My camera is a Sony HDR-XR550 with AVCHD quality.

I received the following answer:

Valdo_PT

A major factor in the type of issue that you describe goes to how the project was set up and the selection for export.

For us to rule in or out those types of factors, more information is needed.

1.Computer operating system....?

2. Project Preset.....Are you setting the project preset manually or are you letting the project it do it automatically based on the properties of the first file that you

drag to the Timeline? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

3. Properties of the source file(s).....You say they were videos recorded with Sony HDR-XR550/AVCHD video compression..... are they 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second or something else? What is the file extension?

4. What is your export selection?

Are your major problems in Edit area or Export area? Have you applied Field Options to your video if your camera is recording interlaced and not progressive video?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.
      ATR

My answer:

Hello, ATR. Thank you, for replying my question.

1- My computer operating system is windows 8.1, but I also have a computer with Vista.

2- The project preset is chosen automatically, by the APE.

The project settings are already chosen(Icannot change the edit mode - that is HDV 10801 - and the timebase 25,00.

The video is 1440 horizontal and 1080 vertical. Display format is 25 fps.

3 - The file extesnsion is mts.

4- I am rendering the film to Mpeg, Pal DVD Widescreen.

5- My problem is that the rendered quality is very bad.

I tried to check if the video is interlaced or progressive, but I don't know how. I used the software bitrate

viewer, but it doesn't recognise mts video.

Thanks,

Valdo

• 1. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Valdo

Thank you very much for starting your own new thread on your Premiere Elements problem.
          From what you wrote, you must be using either Premiere Elements 11 or 12? Is it 11? The following will apply to either one.

Short answer....for now please

a. Please confirm if Premiere Elements 11 or 12

b. Let us know the ways in which your MPEG PAL DVD Widescreen export looks poorly.

Detailed answer....

1. Premiere Elements 11 or 12 is a 64 bit application only when on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. So, to make some computer resource gains, I would stay with Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on the Windows 8.1 64 bit computer rather than on Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit.

2. If your source video is 1440 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second and probably AVCHD.mts, I set the project preset manually for

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080i25.

The following has a how to which describes setting the project preset manually.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

But at this point, I do not feel that this is the core of the issue.

3. To start I would like to target and explore your export settings and expectations.

a. Expectations...your source is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 which uses that 16:9 flag to stretch the video to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

When you are dealing with PAL Widescreen, you have 720 x 576 16:9 which uses the 16:9 flag to stretch the video to 1056 x 576 for display after encoding.

Could any of what you are seeing be attributed to the difference in resolution between the two formats? Or, instead are you seeing distortion, flicker, blurriness, moving lines with scene with more motion than others?

b. From what you wrote, you have selected Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = PAL DVD Widescreen to obtain a MPEG2.mpg file.

Have you looked at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 PAL DV Widescreen to obtain an AVCHD.mp4 file?

What is the intent for your export?

4. Depending on more details of how the video looks poorly, you may want to look at this as a possible interlaced video issue.

You could right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options, and then select Reverse Field Dominance to determine if that has any

impact on the export. Also, in this same line of thinking, what is the playback quality of the rendered Timeline content in the Edit area monitor just before export in Publish+Share/? Right now is the whole problem restricted to the quality of the export of your Timeline content?

5. 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 is typically interlaced video. But, if you ever have to determine interlaced or progressive video, I have found MediaInfo to do the job. http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Just be careful for the choices that you make in downloading and installing it so that you do not run into any unwanted carry alongs with the MediaInfo software.

I do not think that we need MediaInfo right now.

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
            Valdo_PT Level 1

ATR,  thank you for your answer.

1. a. I am using Adobe Elements 11.
            2. b. In the Elements MPEG rendered films there’s some distortion, flicker, blurriness and moving lines, mostly when there’s movement in the film.
            3. 1. My operating system is Win 8.1 32 bit.
            4. 2. The project is by default  PAL-AVCHD-Full HD -1080i 25.
            5. 3. In the Elements MPEG rendered films there’s some distortion, flicker, blurriness and moving lines, mostly when there’s movement in the film.
            6. b. The AVCHD.mp4 has also problems, as MPeg2-1920x1080i.25. From those exports I tried, the M2t-H264-1440x1080i has clear vision, there is no problems. But all of these I can only watch in the PC, not in the TV, because of the reason I will explain next.

The intent is to watch in my TV (or other TVs) the family films I create. The problem is that they have to be MPEG 2 because my Hd tv media player is good but a little out of time and mostly it plays dvix and MPEG.

1. 4. I reversed the Field Dominance, but there were no improvements.

Yes, the only problem I have is with the quality of the rendering.

1. 5. I have used MediaInfo, but in the info it provides about the file there was nothing saying if it is interlaced or progressive video.

Thanks, Valdo

• 3. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Valdo

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 32 bit.

(Please remember that Premiere Elements 11 is only a 32 bit application when running on Windows 8.1 32 bit, and you could be running into resource issues depending on the size of your projects. But, we will put that thought aside for the moment.)

With the assurance that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11....

If you are importing 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, I think that we are in agreement that the project preset should be

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

For the export, let us look at the following and then let us know what that looks like and sounds like

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HDTV 1080p25 High Quality

This will give you a MPEG2.mpg file 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second.

Your interlaced source will be deinterlaced by the program. For this try, do not bother with Field Options for the Timeline file.

Also, MediaInfo does include Scan Type Interlaced or Progressive, but you have to be in the Tree View.

Please see View Menu/Tree View for the comprehensive list of video and audio properties for the file.

Please consider. We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
                Valdo_PT Level 1

ATR,

Yes sometimes I have problems, maybe because it is a 32 bit operating system sometimes the software freezes and don’t let me use some commands like “File” and I am only working with small projects for now.

MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080p25 High Quality had great results (clean sharp image) but I could only watch it in the computer. As I told you my media player for the TV only plays Mpeg 2 or Dvix. And also HDTV 1080p25 High Quality export results in bigger files, 6 x bigger than MPEG PAL DVD widescreen. And as I make many films, space is an important factor to consider. The problem is the quality of Elements MPEG PAL DVD widescreen in my computer is bad and even worse in the television.

Thanks,

Valdo.

• 5. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Valdo

Thanks for the reply.

You say that your player only plays MPEG2 or Dvix. The HDTV 1080p25 does use MPEG2 video compression, so, by your description, it should meet your requirements for playback on the TV using your media player. Consequently, I am not clear on your situation. Let us review the following...

1. What is the brand/model of the media player being used by your TV?

2. Once you have your "MPEG PAL DVD Widescreen" how are you getting it into the media player for the TV - which way

a. On DVD disc - from Premiere Elements burn to DVD disc PAL_Widescreen_Dolby Digital

b. On memory card - file from Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = PAL DVD Widescreen

c. On USB flash drive - file from Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = PAL DVD Widescreen?

Let us put aside the MPEG2 HD.mpg and focus on the MPEG2.mpg.

a. Go to Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG and Presets = PAL DVD Widescreen

b. Click on the preset's Advanced Button/Video Tab.

c. Under the Video Tab, explore and experiment with the Bitrate settings...maybe starting with

Minimum Bitrate (Mbps) = 7

Target Bitrate (Mbps) = 9

Maximum Bitrate (Mbps) = 9

Use Bitrate Encoding = VBR, 2 Pass

Side note: The Adobe defaults for the above are

Minimum Bitrate (Mbps) = 1.5

Target Bitrate (Mbps) = 3

Maximum Bitrate (Mbps) = 8

Let us see if you can improve the quality of the PAL DVD Widescreen by increasing the bitrate of the file without making the file size

unacceptable.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
                    Valdo_PT Level 1

Hello ATR, I have tried the exporting settings you wrote, I had before tried many diferent exporting settings with MPeg 2 and the result is the same, bad image that trembles (shakes) a lot specially if the image filmed is moving. Furthermore there is stability issues with the software, as you told because of my operating system being 32 bits. So all considered I don't think I will buy the software. Maybe when I will have a 64 bits PC, then I will try the software again. Thank you for your help anyway. Valdo.

• 7. Re: Rendering quality bad using Adobe Premiere elements.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Valdo

Thanks for the update.

Did you find that you get better results with the smaller projects or did you have problems with the small and large projects?

AVCHD has a history as a resource demanding software, but that video compression gives sometimes better results than MPEG2 video compression

(a lot depends on comparative bitrates). But there is your TV media player and its specifications to consider.

Please review the above and consider what next. Definitely do not purchase any program without looking at the tryout of the product first to determine its

compatibility with your computer operating system and your project goals.

If you ever want to revisit this matter, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best wishes

ATR