3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 9:09 PM by ssprengel

Why do I all of a sudden have xmp files?

ireys

I'm using Lightroom 5.6.  For the first time I'm noticing xmp files in my file folders next to my images and in LR I notice these images now have "Sidecar File" listed under File Name in the Library's Metadata box.  For all the year I've used Lightroom I've never had xmp files?  What is it?  Do I need it?  and what do I do with it?  What if I move some files out of a folder and into a different location, so I always have to make sure I also move the xmp file with it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Michele

• 1. Re: Why do I all of a sudden have xmp files?
          BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

You have probably selected "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" in your catalog settings. This will give an overview of what is happening: Lightroom Help | Metadata basics and actions

• 2. Re: Why do I all of a sudden have xmp files?
            ireys Level 1

Thank you for the link!  I've read it and it kinda opens a whole new can of worms for me.  So if I understand correctly the xmp file stores Metadata because a .CR2 file cannot store the metadata inside of it.   And the storage of this information with the file is necessary if you make metadata changes in Lightroom, and then later want to open that file in a different program.  So if I ever decide to reorganize some of my raw files in Mac's Finder folders than all I have to do is make sure I move the xmp file along with it?  Not separate them? And then my other question is does the xmp file also store the changes I made in developer?  Like the white balance, exposure, lens corrections, etc...?

• 3. Re: Why do I all of a sudden have xmp files?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

XMP sidecar files will contain the last set of Develop edits that were in effect when they were last updated.  If you have automatically-write turned on then they will usually have the last set of edits unless you close LR before it’s had a chance to write out the edits. 

LR doesn’t need these files for any reason—they are just a copy of what LR already has, but the main reason I have them is in case the catalog, itself, becomes corrupted, you can reimport your images with XMPs into a new catalog and at least have the last adjustments, instead of starting over.