6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 10:25 AM by A.T. Romano

PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload

Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

Hi, I have just upgraded to PE12 and am having difficulty getting my uploads how I want them. Source files are 1440 x 1080 PAL video and I uploaded to Youtube using the 1440 x 1080 PAL setting. These are being letterboxed which with PE10 they were not.

http://youtu.be/zrOiTbgw7Yc

(I know the video quality in this case is hopeless but that doesn't matter, I want to find the right way to do it so I get full use of the Youtube player for visitors to my channel.)

Cheers

Andrew

• 1. Re: PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

There is a problem with your project settings somewhere along the line.

1. If your source files are 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, then your project preset should be

PAL

AVCHD

HD1080i25

Please determine if the project has set it correct automatically. If not, you will need to set the project

preset yourself manually. To do that, please refer to how to in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

To determine what the project has set automatically by the project based on the properties of the first file drag to the Timeline, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

2. When you upload your Timeline content to YouTube from Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube, use the preset for

PAL - High Definition Video for YouTube 1920 x 1080 which should bypass any issues with the YouTube 16:9 player having problems

reading the 16:9 flag of a 1440 x 1080 set to stretch the video from 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

Please review and consider, and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

Just in case

Advanced encoding settings - YouTube Help

• 2. Re: PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload
            Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

Hi ATR

Thanks as ever. I am not seeing project setting defined the way you describe. What I do see is

Editing Mode 1080i greyed out

Frame size 1440 1080

FPS 25

Pixel aspect ratio HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333) greyed out

Nothing on AVCHD although it does play the clip fine so I take it that is OK.

This clip is the only clip in the project and was of course the first dragged in.

Cheers

Andrew

• 3. Re: PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

If your source is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9

When you set the project preset manually File Menu/New/Project, you set in Change Settings would look like

ProjectPreset 12.JPG

When you close out of there and get into the Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, the readings

should look like this

ProjectSetting 12.JPG

Based on what you said, probably OK to this point.

My most likely candidate for the cause of what you described is the choice of YouTube preset in Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube - maybe something going on in the YouTube conversion related to recognition of the 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080. But, let us see what happens when you use the YouTube preset suggested.

PAL - High Definition Video for YouTube 1920 x 1080

Looking forward to the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload
                Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

Hi ATR

Thanks again. Yes it looks like my settings are ok. I am not too keen to upload using 1920 x 1080 since this increases the upload size and my connection is only a little bit faster than dial-up. However I will give it a go.

Cheers

Andrew

• 5. Re: PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload
                  Andrew Hall NZ Level 1

Well I've uploaded 1920 x 1080 and it has solved the visual problem but it strikes me as a highly suboptimal solution to have to upscale native 1440 x 1080 video to 1920 before uploading and I do not see how this is a YouTube fault given PE10 managed to do it fine without so doing.

Cheers and Thanks for your help

Andrew

• 6. Re: PE12 Letterboxing Youtube 1440 x 1080 PAL HD Upload
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

If you are telling me that the rendered 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 plays back in the OK (aspect ratio and otherwise) in the Edit area monitor but has display problems in what you are seeing at YouTube after the Timeline upload using Premiere Elements YouTube feature, then this is not a Premiere Elements issue. This is a YouTube player issue which is out of the realm of Premiere Elements.

Your source is 1440 x 1080 4:3 before its 16:9 flag is recognized by the YouTube player and the YouTube player responds to the 16:9 by stretching the 1440 x 1080 4:3 to 1920 x 1080 16:9. The problem that some players can have with recognition of the 16:9 flag is known. Based on your results using the YouTube 1920 x 1080 preset, this seems to be a viable explanation for the problem that you presented.

There are two additional ways that we might prove that to the both of us

1. Export your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive as 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and then upload that to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Did you have YouTube display issues?

(I will try this later today.)

2. Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue for you?

If it worked before, how many times?

(I do not recall the last time I used the Premiere Elements YouTube feature to upload 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 Timeline. I will do that later today.)

3. Just in case note....when you are looking at your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, the space there is one for the stretched version 1920 x 1080 16:9, not 1440 x 1080. The Edit area monitor is a player controlled by the project in contrast to the YouTube player and video conversion which is controlled by YouTube.

Then we can rejoin this thread to compare results.

Thanks.

ATR