7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 1:27 PM by ssprengel
      • 1. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on when the next release of Lightroom or Camera Raw is scheduled, new cameras can be looked for in the next release. If you're looking for a statement from Adobe, forget about it. The camera will be supported when it is.

• 2. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
          HakanNedjat Level 1

Nightmare! Surely they should be working on these things before cameras are released for sale...

Thanks for the response.

• 3. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And how would you propose Adobe do that before the camera is released? Adobe has to wait until the camera is available in order to get a file to use to create a profile. Sony isn't going to give Adobe anything in advance. You're lucky that Adobe is willing to put forth the effort to provide support at all. The big solution would be for every camera maker to adopt the DNG format.

• 4. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Surely they should be working on these things before cameras are released for sale...

I too used to be under the impression that the camera makers and Adobe would work closely together to ensure maximum software support for all new cameras released on the market. I've come to see that this does not happen.

Camera manufacturers have no obligation or incentive to provide advance information to 3rd party software vendors such as Adobe to make the lives of Adobe customers easier. Never happens. Adobe has to wait (like everyone else) for the SDK (software development kit) to be issued by the camera manufacturer then they can add Raw support for that camera to Adobe Camera Raw.

Camera makers prefer to ship their own (often crappy) software utilities for processing Raw files with each camera.

Many years ago, Adobe freely offered the DNG format to the camera industry to avoid reliance on proprietary Raw file formats and constant Camera Raw updates for consumers. This was more or less ignored by the camera makers. There are very few cameras with inbuilt DNG support.

Photoshop Help | Digital Negative (DNG)

• 5. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
                Oddshot

Here is my work-around until Adobe gets to supporting this camera's version of .ARW.

For the record I checked DXO Labs and the CaptureOne Pro websites and neither one of their software supports this camera either. One would think there would be at least a little collaboration on these sorts of basic functions, but I guess things move too fast for everyone to keep in step with each other... plus there appears to be a bit of a pissing match when it comes to RAW formats, each creator wants their own offspring to dominate of course... ahhh yes, nice to see yet another example of how far we have progressed from being apes in the jungle

So, you can go here:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Win/idc/us.html

Download that software and use it to convert your .ARW files to a .TIFF files and then import them to LR for editing.

Good Luck!

• 6. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
                  Oddshot Level 1

UPDATE:

Just got a promo email from Capture One and looked on their camera support list for the new Capture One Pro 8, and the a5100 RAW is supported... haven't tried it yet though (downloading tonight).

Not sure how fast Adobe will move on supporting this camera, but you can try the Capture One demo for 60 days to at least edit your RAW pictures.

Also, after using the workaround I mention in my other post, I notice that the RAW to TIFF conversion in the Sony software introduces some issues I don't like... color noise mainly and boosted saturation,

Cheers!

• 7. Re: When will the new Sony ILCE-5100 raw files be supported?
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe doesn’t have a speed they move so it’s now how “fast” they work to get it supported, Adobe has a planned release schedule, at least internally, about every 3 months, and usually cameras are supported in the next release after the camera is first available to Adobe as long as there are at least a few more weeks for Adobe to test the support they’ve added.

Now if the ILCE-5100 has a novel sensor (not the standard Bayer RGGB, for example Fuji X-Trans or Sigma Foveon) then Adobe might have to do extensive development and either could decide not to or would just many months or a few years rather than just a few months like for most cameras now.