5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 11:00 AM by JFPhoton

file transfer speed

Jay Knobbe Level 1

I am replacing a failing WD Black 2tb drive. The drive has only music and photos on it. As I copy folders from this drive to a WD Black 1tb back up drive I'm seeing avg transfer speeds of 3-4.5 MB/Second. Sometimes transfer speed starts out around 7 MB/Second, but if it's a large file the transfer speed drops to 2-3 MB/Second. Is this normal? Is it because the drive has bad sectors?

MOB Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

12g ram

WD Black Velociraptor 300gb

2 Samsung F3's Raid 0

2 Samsung F3's Raid 0

WD Black 2tb

WD Black 1tb

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: file transfer speed
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I strongly suspect that your "back-up" drive is via a USB connection on your ~4-year old X58 motherboard,  is that correct?  That would not be surprising if my assumption is correct.  Take a look at Harm's Disk Transfer Rates.  Many early external USB disk drive boxes were even worse than his data.

From a fellow x58 owner.

• 2. Re: file transfer speed
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

If it was a usb connect I would understand but they are all internal drives.

• 3. Re: file transfer speed
              Jay Knobbe Level 1

So under ideal conditions I should see 150-170 MBs according to Harms info. Transfering files from a 2tb disk that is only about 25% full to an empty 1tb disc.

I did a search and found a similar thread from 2010 but it stopped without a solution.

• 4. Re: file transfer speed
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

About the only other thing I can suggest is to use a disk drive benchmark program on each drive independently.

• 5. Re: file transfer speed
                  JFPhoton Level 3

....obviously, by now you must have tried moving files from the failing drive to some of your OTHER drive volumes....just to compare the speed and to ISOLATE the problem. Is it equally as slow going to ANY of the other drives, and are all the OTHER drives operating at normal speeds, when NOT involving the problem drive ? Actually, if that drive IS FAILING... you are lucky just to get ANYTHING at all off it....just let it run until you are finished copying , then, THROW IT AWAY !!! Invest in Crucial M550 SSDs, or Samsung Pro 850s.....the future in data storage is HERE !!! ... and it is SOLID STATE !!!! ...unless you would prefer to store on THE CLOUD...where all your NUDE photos will be HACKED !!!!