12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 4:40 AM by pooja2087

Adobe Digital Editions 4

Derek Cross Level 6

Adobe have released their ePub reading application with support for ePub 3

Adobe Digital Editions

• 1. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
          Ellis home Level 4

Great news. Thanks for keeping an eye on this Derek. I think it should be posted on Announcements or some place more visible since this update doesn't come up with the regular CC updates.

Edit: Hmm. I just tested it for FXL and it's not working. Wonder why.

• 2. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just quickly tested three FXL EPUB files (two I created, one was an Adobe asset). Everything in FXL EPUB seemed to work except the audio files in the Adobe asset file. Even JavaScript animations worked.

What didn't work for you, Ellis?

• 3. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
              Ellis home Level 4

Hi Steve. I assume you are on a Mac? It works on a Mac. But I tested it on a PC with Windows 8.1 and it doesn't work. It shows the text completely unformatted, huge size as it did with previous ADE version.

• 4. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're correct. I'm on a Mac! I noticed in InDesignSecret.com this morning, in the Articles of the Week story, about the problems with Windows (in the comments).

• 5. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                  AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Ellis, sorry to hear that. We really need a solution for Windows ebook developers.

Adobe says for ADE 4 to work on Windows you need to have IE 10 or later installed (it uses it for its rendering engine? something like that).  Have you tried that?

AM

• 6. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                    Ellis home Level 4

Hello AnneMarie, I have IE 11 on my PC. Not sure how that's related to using ADE which is a stand alone app. Or is it? Since we are talking about browsers, on my PC I have Google Chrome as my default browser. I'll try changing it to IE just to test if anything changes and I'll report back. Thanks for your interest.

• 7. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Derek – thank you for posting this. Otherwise I would have missed the release of ADE 4.0.
                      I'm on a Mac, and after downloading the DMG installer file I realised, that ADE 4.0 is not for OSX 10.6.8.

Bad.

But fortunately I have a second Mac with 10.7.5 at hand.

But then I checked the release notes and found out, that minimum requirement is OSX 10.8.

Nevertheless I could install it to my 10.7.5 machine…

Will I miss some features? (Rhetoric question, I will find out…)

Uwe

• 8. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                        AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

The requirement about IE 10 or above is the first item in their Release Notes:

Release Notes | Adobe Digital Editions

It's a standalone app but I believe it uses IE components for its rendering, I'm guessing same as Reader for Mac uses components from Safari (Webkit) and Readium ... sorry I'm way out of my element here ;-D  but this is what I've read.

I don't think it makes a diff. which browser you've got set as the default, but who knows, maybe it does!

AM

• 9. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                          Ellis home Level 4

You're right. It didn't make a difference. Thanks for the Release Notes link. It seems ADE for Windows needs some updates. A minor thing I noticed is the ADE icon on Mac is different from the one on PC. Weird.

• 10. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                            jeankapaptara Level 1

You're not as out your element as you think. Yes, Readium is based on Webkit, and that's the browsing rendering engine used by Safari on Macs.

Windows, however, uses the Microsoft Trident browser rendering engine (layout engine) as the basis for Internet Explorer. Therefore, Adobe had to make a version of ADE that was essentially a port of Readium from Webkit to Trident, which was not a small undertaking.

It doesn't matter which browser is the default browser on your Mac or PC. Webkit is essentially built into OS X and Trident is an essential part of Windows 7 & 8.

BUT... the fact that ADE now works with 2 different browser layout rendering engines is going to be interesting going forward. I expect that we may see more variance in displays in ADE due to the underlying engines (not bugs - variances - because no two engines are ever engineered identically to one another) between Mac and PC going forward.

Hope this helps,

Jean Kaplansky

• 11. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                              Ellis home Level 4

Thanks for the insight. Now, Readium works on a PC as a Chrome extension. But you said: "Webkit is essentially built into OS X and Trident is an essential part of Windows 7 & 8", and also: "Readium is based on Webkit, and that's the browsing rendering engine used by Safari on Macs". I guess it's not clear to me the whole browsing rendering process. Anyway, the important thing for Windows users is the proper display of FXL when using ADE.

• 12. Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4
                                pooja2087 Adobe Employee

This is correct that for ADE 4, you need to have IE 10 or higher. ADE uses IE active controls to render EPUB and therefore for Windows, this is a prerequisite.

EPUB from InDesign relies on webkit specific prefixes but for IE, we need to have prefixes that work on these browsers. For example, webkit-transform property needs to be changed to just transform and similarly others. InDesign team is working on this issue.

Regards,

Pooja

1 person found this helpful