5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 1:41 PM by Paul_B_GB

My project is 1920x1080 50p. I have 1 clip though of 1920x1080 25i. How do i deal with it?

Paul_B_GB Level 1

Obviously an interlaced clip is not really compatible with a progressive project, and somewhere down the line it needs de-interlacing.

I've tried searching Google and YouTube with very little success.

My current theories are these 2:

1) Add the interlaced clip to my main progressive project and right click on the file in the time line and choose field options>de-interlace

or

2) Make a new project just for the interlaced clip with project settings that match it, i.e 1920x1080 25i. Then export it as a new progressive video clip. Then add the video to the main progressive project.

Are either of those 2 methods the correct way to deal with the interlaced clip, or are they wrong, and instead there's a correct way that i haven't thought of yet?

Any advice would be valued.

Thanks

Paul

• 1. Re: My project is 1920x1080 50p. I have 1 clip though of 1920x1080 25i. How do i deal with it?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating?

For now I will assume Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

I would start with with your choice numbered 1.....and include manual setting of the project preset so that there are no doubts about the setting...if the project does it right, then go with the automatic set of the project preset based on the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline.

Manually set the project preset to

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

(see how to section of the following link for details of manual setting of the project preset.....

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Then import the 1080p50

Then import the 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second.

(If necessary, then right click the interlaced video, select Field Options/Always Deinterlace.)

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: My project is 1920x1080 50p. I have 1 clip though of 1920x1080 25i. How do i deal with it?
            Paul_B_GB Level 1

Unexpected results.

I made a test project with automatic settings of 1920x1080 50p. I added 2 clips to the timeline.

The first clip was 1920x1080 50p and this forced the project settings, and the second clip was the 1920x1080 25i.

The project settings matched the 1st clip (i double checked afterwards too).

1 made 2 test export versions.

The first export was one that had nothing done to the interlaced clip, i.e left 'as is' on the timeline. The second export differed only in that i right clicked the interlaced video clip & selected Field Options/Always Deinterlace.

I then used Media Player Classic to view the 2 exports. I turned off de-interlacing whilst viewing them.

I was expecting the first export to show interlacing for the part that had the interlaced clip but it didn't. Obviously the second export had no interlacing either.

So, what on earth has gone on? Maybe Premiere Elements somehow has intelligently worked out that because both clips in the project technically are 50 frames, i.e 50p and 25i (25i is 50 half frames right?) that to make the 25i clip fit into the 50p project the 25i clip (50 half frames) will need to be converted to 50 whole frames automatically, and thus applied some kind of de-interlacing that way automatically?

p.s yes, PreE 12 and Windows 8.1 64bit

• 3. Re: My project is 1920x1080 50p. I have 1 clip though of 1920x1080 25i. How do i deal with it?
              Paul_B_GB Level 1

Sorry, I should of said 25i is 50 fields per second, not 50 frames. It does seem that in Premiere Elements a 25i clip in a 50p project gets converted into 50 seperate progressive frames, I assume 1 field for each frame. I also assume that because each field is only half an image that Premiere Elements is filling in the gaps. This is done without right clicking on the file and choosing to deinterlace. It just seems to be done automatically.

I think its perhaps better to not deinterlace then as I think that's throwing away half the fields, and thus you only end up with 25 frames that then have to be duplicated once each to fit the 50p project?

• 4. Re: My project is 1920x1080 50p. I have 1 clip though of 1920x1080 25i. How do i deal with it?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

For each project there is but one project preset and only one export preset. When you have a mixed Timeline content, then priorities need to be set.

Case in point, your 1080p50 project with 1080p50 and 1080i25 files.

You never did spell out your Publish+Share/Computer/ details, but for now I will assume for this example

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 which you customize to 1080p50 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab.

Let us assume that you do not apply Field Options/Always Deinterlace to the 1080i25.

In that scenario....in Export Customization area, the Source is going to be described as progressive and the Output will include Progressive. We know that the encoding of the Timeline content will produce one video with a uniform progressive frame rate of 50 frames per second throughout the video. That might assume that the 1080p50 is left alone and just the 1080i25 is deinterlaced. Not sure of the logistics on that. But with the 1080p50 encoding, it would follow that the 1080i25 is deinterlaced in this process.

If the project preset is for 1080i25 instead of 1080p50, then, in the Export Customization area, the Source is going to be described as interlaced and the Output will include De-interlaced. Even if all you had on the 1080i25 Timeline was 1080p50, that Source is going to be described as interlaced and the Output will  include De-Interlaced. So, should we conclude that the program is going to deinterlace our video with the progressive frame rate for a progressive export?

Please review and consider the Adobe description of "Always Deinterlace" which is one of the Field Options in the program's edit area

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Working with aspect ratios and field options

Always Deinterlace

Converts interlaced fields into whole progressive‑scan frames. Premiere Elements deinterlaces by discarding one field and interpolating a new field based on the lines of the remaining field. It keeps the field specified in the Field Settings option in the Project Settings. If you specified No Fields, Premiere Elements keeps the upper field unless you selected Reverse Field Dominance, in which case it keeps the lower field. This option is useful when freezing a frame in the clip.

From that description I am seeing it as a control over field choice in the "discarding one field and interpolating a new field based on the lines of the remaining field.

Bottom line: For the 1080p50 project export of the Timeline 1080p50 and 1080p25 as 1080p50, I would let Premiere Elements do the deinterlacing and as I said for the Timeline's 1080i25 in the project's Edit area

(If necessary, then right click the interlaced video, select Field Options/Always Deinterlace.)

From your preliminary results, not necessary.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: My project is 1920x1080 50p. I have 1 clip though of 1920x1080 25i. How do i deal with it?
                  Paul_B_GB Level 1

Thanks for the reply ATR

Yes, my project is 1920x1080 50p and will be exported as the same.

All the clips are 1920x1080 50p except 1 which is 1920x1080 25i.

I have made 2 separate test exports. They contain all my clips which as said are mostly 1920x1080 50p except for that one pesky1920x1080 25i interlaced clip.

The first export is one is where I don't tell premiere elements to de-interlace that single interlaced clip. The second test export only differs in 1 way, and that's was me telling premiere elements to de-interlace that single interlaced clip.

I have examined both results with media player classic (with auto deinterlacing disabled).

The strange thing in examining both of the export versions is that it doesn't matter if I tell premiere elements to deinterlace that interlaced clip or not because both exports have the interlaced clip in the movie without any combing whatsoever. However, and this is where it gets interesting: in regards to that 1 single clip that was interlaced in the project, the non deinterlaced export version has that clip with 50 different unique frames per second whereas the deinterlaced version has that clip at only 25 unique frames but doubled up (per second to make the 50fps) as you scroll through.

This makes me think that the premiere elements algorithm must be thinking to itself that deinterlacing isn't necessary for that single interlaced clip as it can fit that 25i clip into a 50p project by turning the 50 fields per second into 50 seperate frames (all be it half frames) and filling in the gaps in the half frames, thus deinterlacing isn't necessary, especially as in doing so would be throwing away half the video information.

Its so hard to put it into words. I hope it make sense?