19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 5:28 PM by A.T. Romano

Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11

ikrauzas12

I purchased a while ago, but just recently installed Premier Elements 11.  I previously had 9 and 10.  11 was great until I burned to a disc.  The quality is very substandard. Have you come up with a fix for this?  I have read many other complaints about the quality of burning.

Until I can get a fix, I have uninstalled 11 and gone back to version 10.

• 1. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you editing?

You do realize that High Definition material is reduced a LOT to write a DVD at 720x480 size?

• 2. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
            ikrauzas12 Level 1

I am editing movie footage from my Sony HD movie camera.  I have created movies in iMovie and earlier versions of Premier Elements and never had a problem before.

• 3. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

iKrauzas12

In Premiere Elements 10 you have the opportunity to set the project preset yourself. In Premiere Elements 11, the project automatically sets the project preset based on the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline. When the project does not do it correctly, you can always do the setting of the project preset manually.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Are you setting the Premiere Elements 11 project preset manually or letting the project make the decision?

Until proven otherwise, we need to review your source media properties, project preset choice, and your burn to choices. In both 10 and 11, you can burn to DVD for DVD-VIDEO or AVCHD format. Which one are you doing....can we assume DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and DVD-VIDEO widescreen if your source video is HD?

Do your projects contain stills and videos? If so, are the flaws in the end products in all the images or just the stills or just the videos? Please define substandard in terms of what you are seeing and hearing at playback of the Premiere Elements burn to disc. What are you using for playback in these instances?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                ikrauzas12 Level 1

Thank you so much for your help.  I won't be able to reinstall it and start all over again until probably the weekend, but I DO want to get this working!  When I get it going I will definitely be in touch and again THANK YOU!!

• 5. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ikrauzas12

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be looking forward to your progress after you have had time to check out the suggestions.

Please, never hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification - smallest or largest question. Every question is important if the answer for it is not there.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                    ikrauzas12 Level 1

Well, you know what they say about curiosity and the cat….I couldn't wait till the weekend and had to try.  This is driving me nuts. I tried a test, started with file, new project.  I selected NTSC-AVCHD-full HD 1080i 30 (my movie camera is a Sony Handycam, Full HD 1920x1080i HD Recording) HD AVCHD.  I checked the box forcing the selected settings on this project. I just put a few clips in, no photos and no disc menu's.  The setting for burning were: NTSC Widescreen Dolby DVD.  I unchecked fit contents and moved the slider just under highest quality.  When I go back and check the project settings they show: HD1080i  The video quality is still VERY poor.  The audio is fine. 

Then I did another test, same settings, no transitions, no photos, no disc menu's, the only thing I changed was, I selected fit contents when burning.  Video was even worse.

Please tell me you have other suggestions…...

• 7. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

iKrauzas12

Thanks for the reply.

Please go back to the project, go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with your NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD and tell me what the burn dialog shows for

Space Required and Bitrate with and without the check mark next to the option "Fit Contents to Available Space". Also, please tell me the duration of the Timeline content that you took to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD this time.

The only time you work without a check mark next to "Fit Contents to Available Space" is when you get a Data Rate error message which forces you to lower the bitrate manually in order to move forward in the burn to.

In this particular burn to what were the specifics for VERY poor?

Did you get to the deactivation, uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled part yet? If not, please hold off on that until we review the above. The "Video was even worse" part does not fit.

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                        ikrauzas12 Level 1

Thanks for staying with this.

I will try that next chance I get.  "Very poor" to me is definitely not as sharp as it should be. Also, some fluctuation in the focus that isn't there when viewing original files. And I did not get to the deactivation part.

Irene

• 9. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Irene

When you schedule permits, please check the burn dialog situation and let us know what is displayed.

If you are importing with 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, then we will plan further strategy

to get an acceptable quality NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD.

ATR

• 10. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                            ikrauzas12 Level 1

Ok, the burn dialog displays: Space required 1.88 GB (Bitrate 8.00 Mbps) I checked "fit contents".  This movie has video and photo's.

I tried a whole new one with just a few video clips, a few transitions, and a beginning title, only to get the same results.  That one displayed space required: 178.00 MB and the same bitrate.

• 11. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

iknauzas12

Thanks for the additional details.

Please consider the following for troubleshooting....gather ten jpg photos about 1920 x 1080 16:9.

Manually set up your Premiere Elements 11 project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Please refer to the bottom of the following for the how to regarding setting the project preset manually

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Then import your ten 1920 x 1080 16:9 photos into the project, using Premiere Elements 11's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets...then drag the ten  jpgs to that Expert workspace Timeline.

Go directly to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and select the preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Burn to disc and let us know the quality of the results when played back on a computer player and the TV's DVD player.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                ikrauzas12 Level 1

I will do that in the morning and get back to you. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone

• 13. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ikrauzas12

Just about to call it a day.

We will be watching for your results when you get a chance.

ATR

• 14. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                    ikrauzas12 Level 1

Good morning.  I followed your instructions.  On the computer, it plays ok.  On the TV/DVD Player they were also ok, the contrast seemed a little too high, but way better than earlier ones. 

• 15. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ikrauzas12

Thanks for the update.

I would like you to do back to your original project...assumed project preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 to match the properties of your source video.

Right click the Timeline video in the Edit area, select Field Options from the pop up menu, and then, in the Field Options dialog, select Reverse Field Dominance. Then do your burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc. Any better?

Alternately, in a new project, you could set the project preset manually for

NTSC

Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders

Full HD 1080i30

When you are in the Edit area, do not apply any Field Options. The project preset in this case takes care for the field concerns of Lower or Upper Field First.

Then do your burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc. Any better?

As a point of references, what were you setting as the project preset in Premiere Elements 10 when you were doing this project there?

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 16. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                        ikrauzas12 Level 1

I think I'm going to start with a clean slate and follow your settings below. Should I add photo's or just video. Which raises another question, when I do add photos with the video, do I need to crop them down to a 1920 x 1080 size every time??? I take my photo's in the highest resolution possible.

• 17. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

iKrauzas12

Thanks for the reply.

"I take my photo's in the highest resolution possible".

That can be a mistake. Details to follow.

No matter how great the resolution of the photos, they will be reduced to the sizing of the export's standard. The higher resolution import is more likely to stress out the program (degree depends on level of computer resources) rather than gain you a sharper end product playback. But you must define your own limits in this regard in spite of the classical HD "not to exceed" values (2000 x 1500 or 2200 x 1238 pixels) that you see posted in threads. Also in the equation is the number of photos involved. A longer story, but definitely look at crop/resize to 1920 x 1080 as factoring into your results.

If all photos, then I would go with the NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97 as project preset.

But, if a mix of videos (1920 x 1080), then I would go with the project preset that matched the properties of the video...paying attention to the fact that your source is interlaced upper field first and your end product will be interlaced lower field first. Then importing your 1920 x 1080 photos into that.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 18. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                            ikrauzas12 Level 1

I did a totally new project, with the settings that you last recommended and the result is something I can live with.  Not something I'm thrilled with, but I can live with it. I used only one photo that I resized first.   I did double check and the setting in PE10 was NTSC AVCHD HD 1080i30.

I'm still terribly disappointed that in an updated version I'm having this many problems.  It's supposed to get easier, isn't it?  As far as a slideshow of just photo's, if they all have to be resized first, and THEN the pan and zoom has to be applied to each photo, it's really taking the fun out of something that I have really, over the past few years have come to enjoy.I have had great results with iMovie but it is so limited.  I will probably continue using iMovie for my slideshows, but I'm not sure if I will continue trying with PE11 or just go back to PE10.  I really do enjoy learning new things, but this was too "one step forward and three steps back". 

Thank you so much for sticking with it and I really do appreciate all of your help.

Sincerely,

Irene

• 19. Re: Quality problems when burning a dvd with Premier Elements 11
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Irene

Thanks for reporting on your results. Much appreciated.

Do you have the opportunity to record 1080p instead of 1080i? If so, we would be interested in the results. But, for now, just some miscellaneous comments.

1. What are you using to apply the pan and zoom effect?

Pan and Zoom Tool

Keyframing of the Motion Position property for Pan and Motion Scale property for Zoom

Presets under fx Effect/Presets for pan or zoom.

Are you applying the same pan and zoom effect to each of the photos?

If so (an not using the Pan and Zoom Tool),

• Pan and zoom one photo, then copy/paste effects and adjustments for a group selection of the rest.

If using the Pan and Zoom Tool, then consider

This is acceptable for a few photos, but the increased duration that it will add to the Timeline content may make it prohibitive.

We are not Adobe here. Rather user to user. We are all visitors here. But, please let me know if you have any additional questions or

need clarification on anything that I have written.

Best wishes

ATR