8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 6:29 AM by Dark Mist

Specific camera profile in camera raw

jeffnsue

I’ve just started using Lightroom 5 & Photoshop CC in Creative Cloud and understood that there would be a specific profile for my Panasonic GH3 in Camera Raw, that is I expected the programme to suggest default adjustments specifically tuned to the characteristics of my camera. I can’t find this anywhere in the programmes, indeed the only reference to my camera/lens combination is in the metadata and camera Raw seems to work on an Adobe default.

Am I missing something?

Jeff Hodgson

• 1. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I don't use Lightroom it has a different interface to Adobe's RAW Conversion engine.   In ACR UI there is a Camera Calibration tab Camera Profiles are in there.  You can also set your own Camera Defaults.

Capture.jpgCapture.jpg

• 2. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
            jeffnsue Level 1

Thanks JJMack, I thought there would be an option in ACR to select my own camera make and model. Is that not the case? Sorry but I can't try it now, my grandson's on the Mac!

Jeff

• 3. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
              jeffnsue Level 1

Sorry to be a complete nitwit on this issue, but I have no other option than ‘Adobe Standard’ in the lower of the two drop boxes. I’m assuming that ACR UI is the user interface but can’t seem to access any way of finding other options in that dropbox.

I presume that if I do eventually access other options ‘Camera Faithful’ will represent settings unique to my camera make and model.

Am I missing something here.....

Jeff

• 4. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

What profile options you have depends on how many profile Adobe ships for camera and how many profiles you save for you camera. The name may seem the same for other models but the are for a particular Camera model. The The Pull-Down profile menu jsy does not display the camera model.  If you look in the folder Adobe stores the Camera Profiles you will get an Idea of how many profiles are on your system. I'm on Windows the root folder for Camera profiles is "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles" It has two sub folders "Adobe Standard" and "Camera" in "Adobe Standard" adobe stores all its standard profile for all the cameras it has profile for.  The  "Camera"  has sub folders for each model camera and those folders may have several profiles for the camera model.

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
                  jeffnsue Level 1

Thanks again JJM, I can’t find any Camera Raw folder at all in any of the Adobe folders on my Mac, will speak to Adobe later today and let you know how I get on.

Jeff

• 6. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
                    Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

The location should be the root Library folder on your hard drive

(not the user library)

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw

• 7. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
                      jeffnsue Level 1

Thanks RK, things are getting clearer!

There are two sub-folders in there, the first being ‘Adobe Standard’. That contains a file ‘Panasonic DMC-GH3 Abode Standard.dcp’, which I guess is what I see in the lower drop-down box in the ACR interface.

The second sub-folder is ‘Camera’, which in turn contains sub-folders specific to camera models, for example ‘Canon EOS5D’ which contains several .dcp files,  ‘Faithful’, ‘Landscape’, ‘Portrait’ etc as shown in JJM’s screencap earlier in the thread. There is no sub-folder for my camera or indeed any Panasonic camera.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to download such profiles, which I presume could then be added to a ‘GH3” sub-folder in ‘Camera’?

Onwards and upwards!

Jeff

• 8. Re: Specific camera profile in camera raw
                        Dark Mist

You won't find your camera in that 'Camera' folder. Adobe only creates custom profiles for Canon and Nikon since they have the biggest chunk of the market. The Faithful, Landscape etc .dcp files are supposed to replicate those settings on the particular CanoNikon camera you have.

You should be able to make custom profiles for your camera yourself. I've heard conflicting reports on this and I've never tried it myself. I've achieved much the same thing by creating presets.