9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 7:17 AM by ebtimm

Server change causing files to not open?

ebtimm

My office recently bought a new server and transferred all of our files. Now our existing In-Design files become hung up when loading and won't open. I think they are somehow trying to reference the old server location for the links, but it won't just give me the "cannot find links" warning. It just keeps searching.

• 1. Re: Server change causing files to not open?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try editing the preferences under File Handle to uncheck the boxes for finding and updating links before opening.

• 2. Re: Server change causing files to not open?
            ebtimm Level 1

My version is CS2 and there are no boxes about updating links in my "File Handling" Section only ones about clipboard, version cue, saving InDesign Files, and Document recovery data. Another location maybe?

• 3. Re: Server change causing files to not open?

I'm afraid you're out of luck then. You'll just have to wait for ID to realize it can't find the links.

• 4. Re: Server change causing files to not open?
                ebtimm Level 1

We just downloaded CS6 and CC2014 yesterday. They both did the same thing, but maybe I can change the file handling in those newer versions in order to open the files. I will try that. Thank you for your suggestions.

• 5. Re: Server change causing files to not open?
                  ebtimm Level 1

I just tried unchecking the link boxes under "file handling" in CS6 and it does not open the file any faster. I did wait on the opening of the files in CS2 for longer and found that a 2M file opens in 12 minutes and a 30M file opens in 40 minutes. Is there anything else I could try on my end that would speed it up?

Any files I have that were saved only on my C:drive and reference links on my C:drive open very quickly. If I send one of the ID files saved on the server to a friend in a different office, it also opens quickly there. I copy an ID file and its links from the server to my desktop and it still opens extremely slowly.  It is only happening to files that are saved or were created on the server, which now has a new name.

• 6. Re: Server change causing files to not open?

Have your IT people check your network connection.

• 7. Re: Server change causing files to not open?
                      ebtimm Level 1

Thanks for trying. We have established that the network is fine. All other programs and files are running smoothly. Here is the letter I just sent to Charu at the Adobe support. She has also been trying to help. I'm worried there isn't a solution because of the server change. Everything is doing what it is supposed to do; it just takes forever because it gets confused during loading.

1. I do not believe it is a program malfunction because it is happening on all the ID programs (CS2, CS6, and CC2014) and it happens on both computers (one which had the program reinstalled with in the past 6 months, one which had it reinstalled 4 years ago). They were both working fine until the day the server changed.
                      2. All other CS2 programs, which don’t use links (i.e. Illustrator & Photoshop), work just fine.
                      3. I do not believe it is a corrupt file issue because it happens to all files of all sizes whose links were originally located on the old server. The problem began immediately after the new server was installed. It seems to have something to do with the link search process during loading.
                      4. The files do eventually open. A 2M file took 15 minutes to open and a 30M file took 50 minutes to open, but they do open. One of the more difficult files I was working with (the one I sent you with 1037 in the title) took over an hour and I aborted before it worked. This is very inconvenient and it could take hours to open larger files.
                      5. The slightly older computer seems to freeze up and won’t let any other actions happen during the opening process. On the computer that had it reinstalled 6 months ago, I can at least minimize the program and do other tasks while it opens.
                      6. It does not happen to files created in other offices or files that I had on my C:drive with links located on my C:drive. These open quickly in CS2 on both computers.
                      7. The network connections and all other programs are working fine.
                      8. The problem appears to be that they seem to go through an extremely slow process of trying to find the link locations on the old server name and then go through some sort of rerouting process before they finally find the links on the new server and open the file.
                      9. I tried copying an entire ID folder to my desktop that was originally created on the server, and it still has the extended opening time, even after the file and its links were moved.
                      10. It was suggested to me by the ID forum vice president, that I try “preferences/ file handing” and uncheck any boxes that indicate the file find links or check links prior to opening. This does not speed up the opening at all for CS6 or CC2014. These boxes are not present in CS2.

So that is what I know. I think I have the issue figured out from trial and error, but I don’t know how to fix it. Taking over an hour to open a file, even with the newer CS6 and CC2014, is unreasonable.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Server change causing files to not open?

Um, I'm a moderator and Most Valued Participant (MVP badge), not Vice President of the forum, but thanks.

Moving a file to the desktop won't have any effect on missing link delays because it doesn't change the links. Moving the links into the same folder with the file should help, though.

• 9. Re: Server change causing files to not open?
                          ebtimm Level 1

Oh woops, my first time on the forum, I thought it was weird to have a president and vice president. Yes, I did move the entire folder with the same name to the desktop and it had no effect. I'm going to try a few more things today. Thanks for your suggestions.