3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2007 8:08 PM by redbarron

Concurrnet Updates

Mehrbat
      Hi,

I am just about to buy a license and evaluating CPS before any further step. My concern is, if two users update one single file at the same time, would CPS merge the changes or it would save the latest one?

Cheers,

Mehrbat.
        • 1. Re: Concurrnet Updates
          redbarron Level 1
          CPS is great in that there is some strong behind-the-scenes file manipulation to prevent simultaneous editing from occurring. Simply, when Author A clicks Edit to go into edit mode on Page X, CPS creates a LCK (lock) file and "checks out" a draft copy of the page to Author A. If Author B wants to edit Page X, he'll see a warning bar at the top of Contribute telling him that he cannot edit Page X because Author A is currently editing it. CPS makes it pretty safe to ensure simultaneous editing does not happen. Now, if you're the administrator, you will see the yellow bar telling you about Author A, but it also gives you a link to remove the lock on the page. This is helpful in situations where Author A has accidentally left the lock on the page (by not publishing) and it needs to be unlocked. There are other situations that make this handy, but we're getting beyond your question. Trust CPS to prevent simultaneous editing. We've been using it for 9 months without any incidences of this happening. Hope this helps!
          • 2. Concurrnet Updates
            Mehrbat Level 1
            Thanks for the answer.

I wish I had asked about file history too. Does CPS support file/version history so that we can see who have changed a particular file? Also does it let users compare two versions of a file? What about comparing the currently being edited one with the latest version?

Cheers,
            • 3. Re: Concurrnet Updates
              redbarron Level 1
              You're asking many things here; let's see if I can help:

File history: there is a log in the Contribute Administrator (on the server) that will show you the entire history of all file actions (what file was worked on by whom at what time and what they did to it--publish, save for later, send for review, etc.).

Also, if you create a folder on your desktop called "ct3netperformancelog", every time YOU get into Contribute and do things, logs will be written to this folder that record your actions...pretty cool.

File Version: In Contribute, in the administrator dialog (Edit-->Administer Websites-->Your website), when you define the settings for the different roles, you can indicate the number of rollbacks allowed. This means that if you enter "3", a user will be able to rollback a published page 3 times to 3 previous versions. This is handy for folks that want to have a page have certain content for a while, but then rollback to a previous version. It's primarily handy for folks who've published a page and realize they've made some bad mistakes and need to recover the page. We have ours set to 5 rollbacks.

Comparing 2 versions: not really. The only thing to do here is to publish Page X with a different name (File-->Actions-->Publish As New Page) and compare it to the original in the browser. Comparing to the page being edited with the latest one (which I assume is on the server and live on the web) is easy. Just hit F12 while in Edit mode on the page you're editing and it'll load in your browser. You can then view the "latest" one on your website to compare. The concept is this: when you enter Edit Mode in Contribute, you're not really editing the file that's on the server. You're working on a Draft Copy of that page. Only when you publish that page is the one on the server replaced (updated) by the file you're publishing. So, if you totally mess up your page, you can just hit Cancel to close your draft copy...you'll have done nothing to the file on the server.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.