5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 9:04 PM by ssprengel

Imported photos are tilted left by .60 percent

JCVPhotography

Finding all my photos are tilted left by approximately -.60 percent. I shoot mainly on a tripod and use a grid and a level to assure straight uprights. Photos appear straight and balanced in camera. This occurs with two cameras (both 7D) and also when off tripod.

I've also noticed photos I've previously edited are now tilted when I review them again in LR.  This has been happening for approximately 10 days and since a recent LR update. I use LR CC.in

If there was a deviation in tilt, I'd figure it was me, but as the tilt is always between -.58 and -.72 and always left, and occurs regardless which body I use and is affecting previously imported/edited work, it feels like an algorithm issue. Additionally, when I use Upright to correct, LR tilts too far right by about .10 to .12.

Anyone else noticing this?

• 1. Re: Imported photos are tilted left by .60 percent
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check your settings just after import before you’ve made any adjustments.  Is the Straighten under the Crop settings something other than 0, and/or is the Upright tool down in the Lens Corrections / Basic set to something other than None?

If so, then you may have customized your LR defaults and accidentally used a photo that had extra adjustments applied that you didn’t intend to be the default for every photo, and the fix is to set your LR defaults to what you intend without any extraneous adjustments—so zero out the ones you don’t want to be applied by default and set the LR defaults, again.

• 2. Re: Imported photos are tilted left by .60 percent
            JCVPhotography Level 1

Neither of those values are set to anything other than zero. My import setting is "none" with respect to pre-sets; however, very possible I'm not looking in the right place.

If I were going to reset my customisations, where would I go? I've checked through all the menu items but I may be missing something.

Thanks for the above info!
            J.

• 3. Re: Imported photos are tilted left by .60 percent

If you have a tilted Crop setting it would be here:

And if you have Upright enabled then it would be something other than Off, here:

One more place to check is the Rotate slider in Lens Corrections / Manual:

To reset your Camera Raw defaults, which will affect both LR and Photoshop/ACR if you have that, in LR Develop, hold down the Alt key (or whatever the equivlant is on the Mac, either Cmd or Opt or Apple) and notice that the Reset button becomes a Set Default... button.

If you click on Set Default... you can Restore Adobe Default Settings, Update to Current Settings, and Cancel:

Maybe before you reset everything, can you upload a DNG exported from one of your RAW files with the issue, upload to www.dropbox.com and post a download link to it, here? 

How are you judging whether your images need rotated or not?  The units of the Angle slider in the Crop area are degrees, I think.  Are you saying you need to adjust each image by .6 degrees for it to be straight?

• 4. Re: Imported photos are tilted left by .60 percent
                JCVPhotography Level 1

All of these values are set to zero.

• 5. Re: Imported photos are tilted left by .60 percent

Can you upload an exported DNG for others to view as suggested in my previous message from September?