12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 6:28 PM by A.T. Romano

PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu

Couribel

Hello,

After some search in FAQ and forum (and also my friend Google), I'm trying to find help from the community.

I'm using PRE12 (Windows 7 x64 with 8Gb Rand I can't create DVD menu in my project.

I've tried to create a new very simple project (only with 1 clip), and the same problem occured.

Let me explain :

- I create a new blank project

- I add only one clip in the timeline

- I click on Tools / Create DVD Menu

- In the form, I choose a DVD template (for exampel, the first one Entertainment / Art in motion

- As it's the first time I choose this template, it's downloaded (36 Mb)

- And then, I get access to the DVD menu creator panel (with settings tab open on the right), but with a boring "waiting cursor" for my mouse.

And even after very long minutes (more than 1 hour ;-) ), the screen remain blocked.

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 - DVD Menu - Infinite loading.jpg

And the only solution I've found is to kill the process.

Does somebody has an idea of my problem ?

• 1. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
          Couribel Level 1

One more thing, is that, when relaunching the PRE12 software, if I go to DVD menu, then on the form for choosing the DVD menu template, the previous one that was already downloaded, appear with a "waiting cursor", instead of the thumbnail

Adobe Premiere Elements 12 - Choose DVD menu template - Inifinite loading of already downloaded template.jpg

I can choose it and click on Continue button, but I get the same screen as described/shown in my first message.

• 2. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Couribel

Phase 1

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit. The path to the disc menus in a project is

Tools Menu/Movie Menus or Tools Tab/Movie Menus....so I am assuming your "- I click on Tools / Create DVD Menu" is just a rough translation from your language to English.

Did you install the program to its default location on the C drive?

What is the speed and status of your Internet connection? How long has this specific issue exists - hours, days, weeks....?

How much time has passed since you installed the program and the time you first started trying to use a disc menu?

Make sure that you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and are running the program after application of Run As Administrator to the program's desktop icon.

Start a new project and go to Expert workspace Help Menu/Update and update 12 to 12.1.

Any of those considerations help? If not....

Phase 2

Determine what is in the theme folder on the hard drive for (A) Art-In-Motion

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Entertainment

(A) Art-In-Motion

in the (A) Art-in-Motion Folder how many .psd files do you find? Do you find 37 files in that folder?

Please review and then we will decide what next based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
              Couribel Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'll reply point after point in your own message :

> Phase 1

> Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit. The path to the disc menus in a project is Tools Menu/Movie Menus or Tools Tab/Movie Menus....so I am assuming your "- I click on Tools / Create DVD Menu" is just a rough translation from your language to English.

Yes, that's it. I've installed the product in my french language, and tried to translate by myself the UI ;-)

> Did you install the program to its default location on the C drive?

Yes, in general, I don't change the default location of programs.

I've seen that I've some programs/files installed in c:\Programs\Adobe\Adobe Elements 12\ and some others in c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Elements 12\

> What is the speed and status of your Internet connection? How long has this specific issue exists - hours, days, weeks....?

At home, I've an ADSL connection with 15/20 Mbps bandwich.

Downloading the Art in Motion template take not more than 45 seconds

> How much time has passed since you installed the program and the time you first started trying to use a disc menu?

I've installed software pack (Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12), beginning of august, but was not able to use it before last days/nights.

My original project (without menu) was created before (some months ago), with the previous version 11 (which was uninstalled before installing v12).

As I encountered the defect with my project, so it's why I tried yesterday to create a simple project from blank to test the DVD menu feature.

> Make sure that you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and are running the program after application of Run As Administrator to the program's desktop icon.

My windows account has administrator rights.

And there is no UAC symbol on the icon (in Start Menu and Desktop) neither UAC prompt when launching the software.

> Start a new project and go to Expert workspace Help Menu/Update and update 12 to 12.1.

It's already the v12.1 (I forgot to specify it yesterday)

> Any of those considerations help? If not....

> Phase 2

> Determine what is in the theme folder on the hard drive for (A) Art-In-Motion

> Local Disc C

> Program Data

> Adobe

> Premiere Elements

> 12.0

> Online

> DVD Templates

> All_Lang

> Entertainment

> (A) Art-In-Motion

> in the (A) Art-in-Motion Folder how many .psd files do you find? Do you find 37 files in that folder?

Yes I've 37 files.

29 are dated by the release date of the software by Adobe, someday in 2013 from memory (I'm not at home currently).

Most of them are thumbnails png files, and only one of a different type.

And I have a 1*MP3, 6*PSD and 1*Downloaded.txt

Any other ideas ?

• 4. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Couribel

Thanks for the reply.

Do you see a metadata.xml file included in the 37 files. I think you probably do, but wanted to make sure. The two files, metadata.xml and downloaded.txt are typically in the theme folder of each of these menus that need Content download.

Please go to the Online folder, right click it, select Properties, and then the Properties' Security Tab. Determine what the permissions are for Everyone and System.

The last time that I remember a situation like this it was resolved with the Run As Administrator selected when you right click the desktop icon of the program.

But, possible troubleshooting could include

1. Making sure that the problem exists with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disable

2. Deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists in

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

3. Deactivation (Help Menu/Sign Out), uninstall, ccleaner run through https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download,

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

4. Another idea that I am working on...will report on it soon.

Let us see if any of the above affects the issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                  Couribel Level 1

Hi ATR,

today, at work, I've also thought about permissions, and you are probably right.

I've already tested yesterday to disable my anti-virus (I've haven't a software firewall installed), but with/without anti-virus, the same problem occured.

metadata.xml is in the 37 files (with date/time when downloading the template)

According to what I see in security, everybody has granted access to all permissions (like SYSTEM).

The security of the directory of the Template and of all downloaded files are exactly the same.

There is no permission that are forbidden/rejected.

I've tried to launch the software with "Run as Administrator" enable (In this case I receive the UAC prompt), and I don't have anymore both problems described before :

- When choosing menu template, there is no "waiting cursor"

- When accessing the menu movie, it's immediatly, and I don't have to wait eternally and kill the process

I think it's not normal that I have to "Run as administrator", so I will try to restart from blank (deactivation, uninstalling, ccleaner, removing all remaining files in C:\Programs, C:\Program files (x86), C:\User\...Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\...

I'll post soon (1 or 2 days maybe), the result.

Best of all for your advices to find the source of my problem.

• 6. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Couribel

Thanks for looking at the troubleshooting suggestions.

As I said, that Run As Administrator was the final key to success for another user who had disc menu issues similar to yours. And, he was already running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

I am still working on an idea which involves sending the whole Online Folder to the Recycle Bin and letting it regenerate automatically.

So far (about 2 hours later) I have recorded some of the Music Scores under the Music Tab. It is a time consuming approach, and I still need to determine if I can recover all (Movie Menus, Instant Movies, etc) if I wait long enough which could be a long time. So, I am not recommending this way at this time. Just mentioning where my exploration and experimentation with Movie menu are directed. The time for this approach may make this idea prohibitive.

Looking forward to your results after the uninstall/reinstall. When you do the free ccleaner run through, be sure to do the regular cleaner as well as the registry cleaner parts of the program. And, antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 7. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                      Couribel Level 1

Long time after our previous messages, here is the status :

I've tried several times to uninstall/reinstall both Adobe Elements Premiere and Photoshop v12.

Each time, after uninstalling, I've checked if all directories were really flushed, I've ran CCleaner, ...

And tried installing again from the official DVD (after disabling my anti-virus) (and also after downloading the trial version via Adobe Download Assistant).

I still need to "launch as administrator" Premiere Elements to be able to create DVD menu.

And I also can't upgrade to v12.1 with Menu "Help/Upgrade", which returns me error U44M1P2003.

I've checked different solutions likeElements 12.1 update failing (U44M1P2003) and Update 12.1 installation errors | Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements

And "best of all", I also encounter big problems with Photoshop Elements and Organizer, that I can't use anymore now.

Organizer seems to be not installed (even if it should be installed by Premiere and by Photoshop)

And the shortcut created on my desktop to launch Photoshop Elements links to "C:\Elements 12 Organizer\Photoshop Elements 12.0.exe" (which doesn't exist as I've installed the program in the default directory c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\ )

Now I think it was a very bad idea last year to upgrade from v10 (which was working correctly for me) to v11 (the tracking feature was removed by Adobe, even if it was available in v10).

And this summer to upgrade to v12 to get back the "tracking feature" (but I've lost everything in fact :-( )

• 8. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Couribel

I need to think about your situation some more. More tomorrow morning. For now, in Device Manager/Network Adapters/ what do you see listed?

ATR

• 9. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                          Couribel Level 1

I've contacted Adobe Support by chat, and one suggestion is to try with a newly created Windows administrator account.

I'll tried this evening and post a reply.

• 10. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Couribel

Thanks for the update.

In the past, have you been running the program with Run As Administrator applied to the program's desktop icon (right click desktop icon and select Run As Administrator)?

If that does not work, then it will be interesting to learn if creating a new User Account with Administrator Privileges and installing and running Premiere Elements

from that has any effect on the problem.

We will be watching for your results when you get the time.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 11. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                              Couribel Level 1

Very good news tonight.

According to the suggestion from Adobe support by chat this morning, I've created a new administrator account on my computer running Windows 7 Pro x64.

From that account, I've uninstalled Adobe Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements 12.

I've also run Adobe CC Cleaner (not the famous CCleaner software, here it's an Adobe specific one) : http://helpx.adobe.com/fr/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Even if when launching this tool, it seems that it's only for Creative Suite and Creative Cloud, it works for Elements.

So, I've chosen the full clean method (option 3 if I remember) and then when it display a list of programs, I've chosen the "full clean" option (the last one, if my memory is OK).

After that, I've verified that all directories were really cleaned (C:\Program Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe and also C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\)

I've also use CCleaner to clean the regisrty.

A reboot of the computer to maximize my chances.

Logged in again with the new administrator account

Installed both softwares (Premiere and Photoshop), which installed also Organizer (that was impossible yesterday)

Updates to v12.1 was also possible, without any error

And then I was able to use again both softwares and Organizer.

On Premiere, accessing the movie menu was also possible.

And best of all, all of these steps were done without disabling anti-virus !

So to finish, I've tried to switch to my previous administrator account, and do again same tests.

Launching software (Premiere, Photoshop and Organizer) were possible, but I've got the same problem when trying to create a movie menu and downloading a menu template.

So it seems that all the problems come from my original administrator account that is partially crashed.

I'll try to find a solution for that (if so, I'll post it here as soon as possible, and if I don't find a solution, I'll migrate all my settings and software to this newly created account.

Thanks for all ATR for your tips and help.

• 12. Re: PRE12 : unable to create dvd menu
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Couribel

We are so happy for such great news and appreciate the time you took to detail the resolution of your issue.

Your information will be appreciated by all. Great contribution.

We will be watching for further developments when you get a chance.

Best wishes as you move forward in your Premiere Elements Projects.

ATR