4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 5:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Why won't my DVD play when it did before?

arnoldworsley

Using Premiere Elements 10 with 64 bit Windows 7, I downloaded a 10 minute video from a VHS tape. The MPG file was then taken into Elements 10 to be burned to DVD. I have ruined 7 DVD-R disks (of two different brands) trying to burn it. The burn appears to succeed but none of my 3 players will play it. Yet, when I burn the same project to a DVD-RW, it plays fine. I have successfully done this before a couple of years ago with everything the same as it is now and never had this problem.

• 1. Re: Why won't my DVD play when it did before?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set your Premiere Elements DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE Imgburn to burn the folder to disc for DVD... Premiere Elements does NOT burn to a folder for BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

• 2. Re: Why won't my DVD play when it did before?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

arnoldworsley

Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit.....

It sounds to me that you have a player problem or a disc problem and not a burn software problem.

What players are involved - computer players (which ones) or DVD player standalone or attached to a TV or other?

As for the DVD-R discs, I am not taking that out of the problem equation. If you take one of these DVD-R discs from the Premiere Elements 10 burn to DVD disc and explore it, do you find an OpenDVD Folder and a VIDEO_TS Folder? If so, if you open the VIDEO_TS Folder, can you find a VTS_01_1.VOB file and play it back on the computer

If you do that same thing with one of the DVD-RW discs from the Premiere Elements 10 burn to DVD disc and explore it, what do you find?

How long have you had the DVD-R discs in comparison to the DVD-RW discs? You mentioned that you did all this successfully a couple of years ago, and everything was the same then as now. Did you have these batches of discs then as opposed to now? Are the players the same then and now?

Burn to Folder (4.7 GB) is always an option. But, I would like to see you have the opportunity of choice for to burn to disc or burn to folder.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why won't my DVD play when it did before?
              pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you please explore DVD-R disc on a computer?

Contents are there or not in DVD-R. It will confirm, whether the issue is with playback or content issue.

Thanks,

Pankaj

• 4. Re: Why won't my DVD play when it did before?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

pgauba

You wrote

Can you please explore DVD-R disc on a computer?

Contents are there or not in DVD-R. It will confirm, whether the issue is with playback or content issue.

Already asked along with other related questions and waiting for an answer

As for the DVD-R discs, I am not taking that out of the problem equation. If you take one of these DVD-R discs from the Premiere Elements 10 burn to DVD disc and explore it, do you find an OpenDVD Folder and a VIDEO_TS Folder? If so, if you open the VIDEO_TS Folder, can you find a VTS_01_1.VOB file and play it back on the computer

Please refer to post numbered 2 of this thread.

Thanks.

ATR