3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 7:54 AM by JimHess

Upgrading to Lightroom 5

theoriginals

Hello

I already have Lightroom 4 installed onto my computer, I just wanted to know how can I upgrade to Lightroom 5?   Is there an upgrade that I can purchase???

Thanks

rtj

• 1. Re: Upgrading to Lightroom 5
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Products

Click the Buy link next to Lightroom 5

Or you can join the Cloud for $9.99/month and get Photoshop + Lightroom 5

• 2. Re: Upgrading to Lightroom 5
            theoriginals Level 1

Thanks.  Exactly what is Creative Cloud?  And what can you do with it?

• 3. Re: Upgrading to Lightroom 5
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Creative Cloud is the way Adobe is mainly marketing Photoshop and Lightroom. Instead of purchasing the programs outright and owning perpetual licenses, you pay a monthly fee of $9.99 (in the US) to use both programs which are installed locally on your computer. This saves you initial outlay expenditures, and entitles you to always have the most recent versions of the programs on your computer. If you are wanting to use Lightroom Mobile, subscribing to the creative cloud program gives you cloud storage space that enables Lightroom Mobile to function.  If you purchase a license for Lightroom, and have no other creative cloud applications, then you would not be able to use the mobile features beyond a 30 day introductory trial.

The alternative is to purchase Lightroom 5 or Photoshop CS6. You can purchase perpetual licenses for those programs. There will be no more updates to Photoshop CS6. This means that new versions of Camera Raw will only provide support for new cameras. New features that are being added to Camera Raw will not be available. As far as Lightroom 5 is concerned, it would mean that you would have to purchase an upgrade when Lightroom 6 is released.

I don't know your situation. Only you can decide which way would be best for you.