6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 8:33 AM by DdeGannes

Why do my raw images appear to change on import?

johnallenphillips

Just trying to see if there is a simple solution to this.  When I import raw photos into LR they appear the way I shot them for about two seconds and then the thumbnail becomes more saturated and looks like the contrast increases. The adjustment controls in develop mode are all still zeroed so I'm not sure where the changes are happening.  I shoot RAW + JPEG.  The preview thumbnail shows ".CR2.  Any thoughts on where the changes are happening??

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why do my raw images appear to change on import?
          dj_paige Level 9

This is normal behavior for Lightroom, so there is no "solution".

Lightroom first displays the camera-generated JPG preview of your image, and then a few seconds later Lightroom generates its own rendering of the RAW photo, and that is what you see.

• 2. Re: Why do my raw images appear to change on import?
            johnallenphillips Level 1

Thanks!  I use a camera profile with very little saturation and contrast... I'm guessing this is just applied to the camera generated JPG.  When I'm shooting I'm making adjustment based on camera so I'd like to have the option of at least having that as a starting point.  Is there a way to have LR more closely match the RAW to the JPG (with the camera profile applied?)  Or is there a way to view the RAW next to the JPG so I can adjust the RAW image accordingly?

• 3. Re: Why do my raw images appear to change on import?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom doesn't read those in-camera settings. So selecting a profile in your camera when shooting raw images will have no effect on your raw file. If you want your raw files to match more closely to the JPEG images, modify a newly imported raw file until it looks the way the JPEG file looks. Then, save new camera defaults. Then those default settings will be applied whenever you import new images or reset images that have already been imported. Those new default settings will be applicable only to the camera model that you used, and will only be applicable to the raw images.

As to the other part of your question, in your Lightroom preferences there is an option to treat JPEG images next to raw files as separate images. If you check that option then both the raw and JPEG file will be imported and displayed.

• 4. Re: Why do my raw images appear to change on import?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on your camera model, LR does have “camera match” profiles in addition to the default Adobe Standard that you can select in the Camera Calibration area in Develop.  These additional camera profiles are Adobe’s attempt to simulate some standard camera settings, with some degree of success.

Personally I ignore how I have my camera set and just adjust things how I want in LR, since that is the only place I have control anyway.  Sometimes I use Adobe Standard and sometimes I use one of the match profiles, depending on what happens with the colors I care about in the image.

Adobe’s profiles don’t do well with very extreme lighting, like red or blue or purple stage lighting, whereas the camera seems to mute the saturation quite a bit more and allow more details to be seen.  If you are doing to be shooting in such an extreme lighting situation then it might be wise to shoot RAW+JPG in case the JPG works out better.  I shot my last JPG for something serious in 2006, and switched to raw thereafter.

• 5. Re: Why do my raw images appear to change on import?
                  dj_paige Level 9

johnallenphillips wrote:

Is there a way to have LR more closely match the RAW to the JPG (with the camera profile applied?)  Or is there a way to view the RAW next to the JPG so I can adjust the RAW image accordingly?

I think this is misguided, the whole point of RAW is to give you control so you can wind up at the image appearance you want, and not be bound to the in-camera JPG algorithm. There are an infinite number of renderings possible, the JPG algorithm picks one, and it seems to me like you are missing out on much of the benefits of RAW if your goal is to match the JPG.

But if you really want that JPG appearance, you should save yourself a lot of work and disk space, and just shoot JPG.

• 6. Re: Why do my raw images appear to change on import?
                    DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "But if you really want that JPG appearance, you should save yourself a lot of work and disk space, and just shoot JPG." or use the software provided by your camera manufacturer to process the raw files.!