5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 4:26 PM by The Guv

Footnotes continuing C6 e CC

carlaspinheiro Level 1

Do all the text boxes have to be linked for the footnotes to continue with the same numbering?

In a long book its not very praticall.

• 1. Re: Footnotes continuing C6 e CC
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The quick answer is: correct -- the footnote start number is a

document-wide setting, so if you set the footnotes to start at 10, they

will start at 10 for every InDesign story. So if you want consecutive

footnote numbers throughout a document, but also have each chapter in a

separate story, it's impossible. You have to have the entire book

threaded as a single story. (I would question whether consecutive

footnotes throughout a long book is a good idea -- who wants to bump

into footnote number 587 while reading a text? But usually, this is not

the typographer's decision.)

The only exception to the above that I'm aware of is when you place a

file from Word. After you've placed a Word file, you can break the

thread between two text frames, and, provided the option to Restart

Number Every is not selected, the footnote numbering will not change --

so you get different stories starting with different footnote numbers.

However, I only get this when I break the text frame with a script I

wrote that does this.

If you divide your book into separate documents, one doc per chapter,

and then combine them all as an InDesign book with the Book palette, you

will probably then be able to restart the footnote numbers as you like.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Footnotes continuing C6 e CC
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

carlaspinheiro wrote:

Do all the text boxes have to be linked for the footnotes to continue with the same numbering?

Yes.

In a long book its not very praticall.

No.

Footnotes are not barely improved since the InDesign version in which they were introduced (CS2, 2005).

See Footnotes. Three necessary features. – InDesignSecrets and especially the now four-year old thread Re: Improve Footnotes Please. That last one contains a link to Adobe's Feature Request form. It has been asked many times before, but maybe they are waiting for just one person more to ask for this.

• 3. Re: Footnotes continuing C6 e CC
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

[Ariel] wrote:

If you divide your book into separate documents, one doc per chapter,

and then combine them all as an InDesign book with the Book palette, you

will probably then be able to restart the footnote numbers as you like.

Ah of course. I usually have the opposite problem -- restarting footnote numbering -- and can only solve that by inserting dummy sections. (Which is not a good solution, because sections are tied to physical pages, and the text itself is not.)

• 4. Re: Footnotes continuing C6 e CC
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah of course. I usually have the opposite problem -- restarting footnote numbering -- and can only solve that by inserting dummy sections. (Which is not a good solution, because sections are tied to physical pages, and the text itself is not.)

Sounds like you need Id-Extras: Sections Stuff

But why keep all chapters threaded together? I almost always break them into separate stories -- there's more control that way over things like master pages.

• 5. Re: Footnotes continuing C6 e CC
                  The Guv Level 1

I agree, having the chapters as separate stories is a must when you have content that's being changed right to the very end. In a quick turnaround environment, you never have a document that's signed off, it's always subject to change.

The way footnotes and endnotes work at the moment are an embarrassment to Adobe. When Word has a feature that works, and the professional layout program can't cope, you know you've got a problem - especially so in this age of accessible requirements!