11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 7:28 PM by station_two

Can't print using Photoshop CC.

wildstork Level 1

Using a Mac, OS 10.9.4, just installed Photoshop CC, when clicking File/Print I receive the following: "There was an error opening your printer.  Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents.  My printer is connected as I used it earlier to print with Photoshop CS3.  How can I select a printer when this pop up prevents going any further?  Is there no Page Setup window in Photoshop CC?  In Photoshop CS3 Page Setup appears above Print under the File Menu.

• 1. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
          Level 5

You have to select and "add" your printer at the Mac OS X level.

Under the Apple menu  go to System Preferences > Print and Scan (or whatever the latter is called in your version of OS X).  The Apple Help is clear and concise on how to do it if you've never done it before.

• 2. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
            Level 5

OS X Mavericks: Set up a printer  <==== link

OS X Mavericks: Set up a printer

If you connect a USB printer directly to your Mac, or add a AirPrint-compatible printer to your wireless network, as soon as you turn the printer on it’s ready to print with no additional setup required. For other printers, you may have to complete a few steps to add the printer.

Important: OS X is compatible with most common printers and downloads the latest printer software automatically. To make sure you have the latest software, don’t install the software that came with the printer or from the manufacturer’s website.

When you add a printer, OS X can usually detect whether the printer has special accessories installed, such as additional paper trays, extra memory, or a duplex unit. If it can’t, a dialog appears that lets you specify them. Make sure the settings in that dialog accurately reflect your printer’s installed accessories so you can take full advantage of them.

Connect a USB printer to your Mac

1. Follow the instructions that came with the printer to set it up, connect it to your Mac, then turn it on. Use the instructions to unpack the printer, install ink or toner, and add paper.
            2. Choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure OS X has the latest information about printer software it can download from Apple. If Software Update doesn’t list an update for your printer, you have the latest software.
            3. Open a document to print, then choose File > Print.
            4. If necessary, click the Printer pop-up menu, then choose your printer.

Add a Wi-Fi printer

1. Follow the instructions that came with the printer to connect it to your Wi-Fi network and turn it on. Use the instructions to unpack the printer, install ink or toner, and add paper. For more information, see this article:

Apple Support article: Connecting a Wi-Fi printer to your Wi-Fi network

2. Choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure OS X has the latest information about printer software it can download from Apple. If Software Update doesn’t list an update for your printer, you have the latest software.
            3. Open a document to print, then choose File > Print.
            4. Open the Printer pop-up menu and choose your printer in the Nearby Printers section of the menu. If you don’t see your printer, choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu. A dialog appears listing printers on your local network. It may take a minute or two for your printer to appear.  If you’re asked for an administrator name and password 
            5. Select your printer when it appears in the list, and then click Add. OS X automatically uses AirPrint if your printer supports it, or it selects printer software (also called a printer driver) and downloads it from Apple if necessary.

Add a network printer

You can connect to printers on your local network that use Bonjour, IP, and Open Directory, as well as shared printers and printers connected to a Time Capsule or AirPort base station.

Be sure to follow any instructions from your network administrator.

1. If the printer isn’t already connected to your network, follow the instructions that came with your printer to unpack it, install ink or toner, add paper, and connect it to your network.
            3. Open a document to print, and then choose File > Print.
            4. Open the Printer pop-up menu, then choose your printer in the Nearby Printers section of the menu. If you don’t see your printer, choose Add Printer from the Printer pop-up menu.

A dialog appears listing any Bonjour, IP, shared, and Open Directory printers on your local network. It may take a minute or two for your printer to appear.

If you’re asked for an administrator name and password

5. Select your printer when it appears in the list, and then click Add. OS X automatically uses AirPrint if your printer supports it, or it selects printer software (also called a printer driver) and downloads it from Apple if necessary.

Add a Bluetooth printer

1. Follow the instructions that came with the printer to unpack it, install ink or toner, add paper, and make sure it’s ready to connect via Bluetooth.
            2. Open a document to print, and then choose File > Print.
            3. Open the Printer pop-up menu, then choose Add Printer.
            4. Select your Bluetooth printer, then click Add. If your printer isn’t in the list, you might need to open Bluetooth preferences, turn on Bluetooth, then set up the printer as a new device. 

If you’re asked for an administrator name and password

Connect a printer to a Time Capsule or AirPort base station

You can share a printer connected to an AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule with other computers on your network, whether they connect to the network wirelessly or with a cable.

1. Follow the instructions that came with your printer to unpack it, install ink or toner, and add paper.
            2. Temporarily connect the printer to the USB port on your Mac, then print a test page.
            3. Choose Apple menu > Software Update to make sure OS X has the latest information about printer software it can download from Apple. If Software Update doesn’t list an update for your printer, you have the latest software.
            4. Connect the printer to your Time Capsule or AirPort base station.
              • If your printer has an Ethernet port, connect your printer to one of your base station’s Ethernet ports.
              • Otherwise, connect your printer to the USB port on the Time Capsule or AirPort base station.

If you’re setting up an AirPort Express for the first time, connect the printer to the AirPort Express before setting up the base station.

5. Open a document to print, then choose File > Print.
            6. Open the Printer pop-up menu, then choose the printer in the Nearby Printers section of the menu.
              OptionDescription
              USB only: If you have problems scanning, viewing the printer’s utilities, checking ink cartridge status, or viewing error messages, disconnect the printer from the Time Capsule or AirPort base station and connect it temporarily to your Mac, then reconnect it to the Time Capsule or AirPort base station.

Add an IP printer

If a network printer you want to use isn’t in the list of available printers, you can add it as an IP printer. The printer must support one of these printing protocols: HP Jetdirect (Socket), Line Printer Daemon (LPD), or Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).

For more information, see:

IP printer settings

Last Modified: May 8, 2014

• 3. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
              wildstork Level 1

I mentioned that I printed from Photoshop CS3 earlier (today) using Photoshop CS3 and it worked fine.  I've never had this problem before.  I went into System Preferences and did as you advised earlier this evening (as well as after receiving your advice) and this doesn't resolve the problem.  My Epson 3880 shows up under Printers in the Printers and Scanners window and it's the default printer as well.  I have no other printers connected.  I've rebooted, shut the printer off and restarted it and the problem persists.  I just made a print in CS3 with this printer and had no problem.  The problem is with Photoshop CC.  I can't print using Photoshop CC.

• 4. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                Level 5

I have nothing constructive to add, then.  Sorry.

I'll just remind you that you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forum. 

• 5. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                  wildstork Level 1

I understand.  Thanks for trying.  I've been a custom printmaker for years and just upgraded to CC so this is a total mystery to me.  I've looked online for answers and nothing came up so I thought I'd try this forum.  Hopefully someone has run across this before.  I did the usual Permissions Repair advised by some on another forum and the only thing I haven't tried is trying to print as a different User.  I've never had to do that before and don't know how or if it's worth trying.

• 6. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                    wildstork Level 1

Is it possible that having Photoshop CS3 installed in my Applications folder is preventing Photoshop CC from being able to print?  I'd delete CS3 from my Apps folder to see if this is the case... but my original CD of PS CS3 is in my storage unit across town and I hate to delete it if this won't resolve the problem.

• 7. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                      Level 5

If you were to uninstall CS3 (never just "delete"!), that would mean that if you ever want to re-install it, you would first have to uninstall CC.  Installers usually refuse to install older versions if they find a newer version installed.

Don't do that unless you have no more troubleshooting tricks left.  I highly doubt that has anything to do with your issue anyway, but I could be wrong of course.

You never mentioned whatever printer you are using…

Printing from a different user is a very sound troubleshooting measure, and it takes a few minutes to set up a fresh, new account.

• 8. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                        wildstork Level 1

Station_two,

Thanks for staying with this and trying to help. 

I'm using an Epson 3880 with the latest driver and firmware.  As mentioned earlier, this printer appears as my Default Printer in the Printers and Scanners window under System Preferences and I have no problem printing from Photoshop CS3.

I have a second User Account that I don't recall installing.  When the computer boots up, the Mavericks wave appears on the screen and there is nothing on the desktop.  The account name for this User is my full name.  I can't recall the password so I can't delete it.  In order to access my desktop I have to go up to the Menu bar and select the other User, Lawrence Beck, and this takes me to a screen that shows everything on my desktop.

This User Account thing is Greek to me... so if you could point me to a link where I might be able to delete the User Account that has my full name and then add a new user name that will provide an account that shows what I have on my Lawrence Beck desktop... I can try printing from that account. 

I don't know how to do this so any advice to link would be appreciated.

• 9. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                          Level 5

Sorry, I cannot find a link any faster than you can by Googling.  This is Mac 101 stuff that I've mastered for ages, and can't possibly think of a specific "link" to learn about it,

Assuming your regular user account has administrator privileges, just go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Account.  There you can create or delete any user account you want.

Just add a fresh new user account for troubleshooting.  You can delete it later if you want.  You can create as many user accounts as you wish.

wildstork wrote:

…delete the User Account that has my full name and then add a new user name that will provide an account that shows what I have on my Lawrence Beck desktop... I can try printing from that account. 

You cannot do that.  What's in one account will be totally deleted, forgotten as soon as you delete that same user account.  Poof!  Gone!

The whole idea of creating a new user account for troubleshooting is that it will be fresh, free from any possibly created junk and gunk you may have on your desktop or anything else in that user account.

One can absolutely print from a fresh, brand new user account.  Just launch Photoshop from there, navigate to your document and print it.

• 10. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                            wildstork Level 1

Thanks for your post.

I asked this question over on the Photoshop Gurus forum and the Administrator (Steve) suggested that I start Photoshop while holding down the Command/Option/Shift keys to reset the Preferences file.  Then click "Yes" to the "Delete Adobe Photoshop Settings file" when the window opens.

I tried this and it worked a charm.  I now can print from Photoshopp CC. 

Hopefully this info will hep anyone who has a similar problem when trying to print on a Mac using Mavericks and Photoshop CC.

• 11. Re: Can't print using Photoshop CC.
                              Level 5

Yes, that is the very first step to take when weird stuff happens suddenly.  That deletes your preferences and forces Photoshop to create new ones.  It's the standard advice we usually five here first.

Sorry if I didn't mention it this time;  I honestly thought I had.