2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 6:53 AM by rob day

Indesign export as PDFX1a

Ed Hadfield

HI,

I'm exporting an Indesign file containing RGB colour Jpegs as a PDFX1a, in order to convert to CMYK colour. My exported PDF doc has blue hazy areas in it particularly around the edges.

I've made sure the background of my Jpeg images are pure white by using the 'wizard wand.'

My Jpegs 'save as' PDFX1a through photoshop just fine. But I need to use Indesign on this project to set bleed margins etc.

Could anyone help me on this. I'm falling behind on my Uni deadline for this. I don't work a lot in digital, mostly silk screen printing.

Thanks, Ed.

• 1. Re: Indesign export as PDFX1a
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you explain the problem more clearly?

Are you saying you have a jpeg that you placed in an InDesign document, you then export that file to PDF/X-1a, and you are seeing some bluish areas that should not be there? Waht application are you using to view the PDF? What version of InDesign and which OS?

Can you show us a screen captures of the page in ID and same in the PDF?

• 2. Re: Indesign export as PDFX1a
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've made sure the background of my Jpeg images are pure white by using the 'wizard wand.'

My exported PDF doc has blue hazy areas in it particularly around the edges.

This is a case where you shouldn't be using the jpeg format, save as PSD after you make the selection and set the background to white. When you save as RGB jpeg out of Photoshop, the JPEG compression would add non white compression artifacts to the background which would become more visible on the conversion to CMYK during the PDF export. Also the default PDF exports add another layer of compression so you might want to turn off compression in your export preset.

When you are setting the background in Photoshop, use the eyedropper tool with the Info panel open and set to CMYK and sample around in the white area to make sure everything is actually white 0|0|0|0