• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra page created through Conditional Text won’t go away

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a page in Framemaker 11 with Conditional Text.  Every time I switch between my conditions, a blank page is created.  This page does not go away when I save or update the file.
It only gets removed if I delete the extra page.  Is there anything that would be causing this page to stick around?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Over the weekend I sent my problem file to Arnis to look at.  Here is his response:

Arnis Gubins wrote:

The reason that the extra page was appearing when Conditions were used was due to having the Top text frame set to Autoconnect along with using the Anchored frame position at "Below line" for both logo graphics. The text frame was too small to hold both graphics at once, so with the Autoconnect turned on, FM creates another copy of this text frame on a new page to hold the other logo graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your book and file pagination settings for that file and the following one. If you're forcing the next file to start on a right page, and the prior one ends on a right page, FM is forced to add a left page in between the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page in question is set to be a single page.  The page following it is set to be double sided starting on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each chapter's pagination (single- or double-sided) should be consistent in a book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent the page in question to someone else to look at.  There were able to recreate the problem.  This is happening while the file is not in a book.  It is still generating a blank page that won't go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on your Borders and Text Symbols in the View menu. Is there anything in the main flow text frame on that page?

Where is the blank page being created - at the end of the file or somewhere in the middle?

What are the file's Pagination settings (Format > Page Layout > Pagination...)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis Gubins wrote:

Turn on your Borders and Text Symbols in the View menu. Is there anything in the main flow text frame on that page?

Where is the blank page being created - at the end of the file or somewhere in the middle?

What are the file's Pagination settings (Format > Page Layout > Pagination...)?

There is nothing on that page.

The blank page is being created at the end.

The pagination is currently set to single sided, delete empty pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely nothing? - No end of flow and/or marker like below?

FM_markre_EOF.png

What's at the bottom of the previous page? Any markers, anchors, end-of-flow symbol, etc.?

Does the blank page represent an increase in the total page count when you apply your conditions? Or is it left over when the page count decreases after the conditions are applied and FM reflows the document?

Is it a standard Right or Left master page that is applied to this blank page or is a different master page used? Does the page have an override, e.g. the text frame size/position has been adjusted? FM only automatically removes default Right/Left pages without overrides.

Are there any other features on the page besides the text frame? [click in the margins and do a ctrl+A to select all objects on a page] You might see an empty set of "handles" like this:

Empty_graphic_text_FM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Over the weekend I sent my problem file to Arnis to look at.  Here is his response:

Arnis Gubins wrote:

The reason that the extra page was appearing when Conditions were used was due to having the Top text frame set to Autoconnect along with using the Anchored frame position at "Below line" for both logo graphics. The text frame was too small to hold both graphics at once, so with the Autoconnect turned on, FM creates another copy of this text frame on a new page to hold the other logo graphic. When you activate or switch  conditions, FM has to show everything and then hide the appropriate one(s), so it would always add that extra text frame on the new page in order to display both graphics (because that is what autoconnect does). 

There are some remedies.

1. Just simply turn off the Autoconnect setting.

2. Place the logo graphics using the "outside of text frame" setting for the AFrame. This allows you to stack the graphics one atop the other such that you would not trigger an autoflow to create a new text frame if both should need to be rendered.

3. You could also do both, to be really certain that a new page isn't triggered.

Turning off the Autoconnect Setting did fix the issue of an extra page being created and not being removed.  I will require a bit more work to see about relocating the Frame and keeping my page layout the same.

Thanks for all the help Arnis Gubins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines