8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2007 10:28 AM by UNLVtekwrytr

Unable to open RoboHtml project

chrisdw
      I have received the following message trying open all of my Help files today: "Open project was cancelled or the application was unable to load database for [Project name and path]." I followed the directions in the "RoboHelp X5 Instructions" Tech Note for this issue but still can't open the files. In fact, I can't even launch a new project any more. FYI- there are no other users in any of these files and the last time I opened one was about three weeks ago. At that time I had no problems.

What could be happening, and what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance for your help.
        • 1. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Project sitting on a network drive? If so move it to the local drive and try again. If no luck, post back.

• 2. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
            chrisdw Level 1
            It's on my local drive. As I said, I get the same message trying to open any of the 3 projects or when i try to open a new project. I'm flummoxed. keep asking...
            • 3. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
              I'm wondering if your IT people have changed your admin rights?

If this was an individual project, I would point you to the topic on my site about opening RoboHelp projects but the fact that all projects including new ones mean it is highly unlikely to be a corrupt project.

Do you use any form of version control?

If IT changing your rights is not the problem, I think I would be tempted to try an uninstall and reinstall.

Is there anything else that has changed on your PC? New firewall, new AV program, OS upgrade, Microsoft Office upgrade?

• 4. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
                chrisdw Level 1
                Thanks for your suggestions, all of which I will pass along to the IT/networking staff.

This is what I have tried over the week-end from my home PC and laptop: I installed Robohelp 5.5 on the laptop which uses Word 2000, however when I tried to install Robohelp on my PC, I could not use it because the option to select Word 2003 did not exist. My Help projects ran perfectly from my copy of Robohelp on the laptop with Word 2000. Is this the problem? That is, do I need to upgrade to Version 6 in order to run with Word 2003?
                • 5. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
                  On a machine with Word 2000 or 2002, X5 will run straight out of the box. On a machine with Word 2003 you need to download the service pack as described in my article on Installing RoboHelp.

Even without that, RH would install and work until you try to do something Word related so that is not the cause of your problem.

Do make sure IT use your logon to install. Too often they think it is easier to use their logons as they have the correct rights. Unfortunately RH will only work if installed with your logon with admin rights and this problem has all the hallmarks of you not having the correct rights.

• 6. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
                    chrisdw Level 1
                    OK. I did have the Robohelp updates on my machine when the problem occured that I initially described. However, I have now uninstalled RoboHelp and all updates, then reinstalled the base product plus the updates. Eureka! It now works as designed.

When I talked to a developer about this, he thought that RoboHelp might have been looking at an older version of MS Access for the .cpd file. I think that would coincide with your recommendation to make sure that my login is used to install updated versions of RoboHelp and MS Office products, rather than the IT person's login. I am sure that sometime over the past month the Office products or possibly security associated with them was updated by IT.

Thank you again for all your help.
                    • 7. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
                      It won't have been the version of MS Access that was the issue, you don't have to have Access installed and if you have, the version is immaterial. The Office updates to Word will most likely have been the cause.

• 8. Re: Unable to open RoboHtml project
                        UNLVtekwrytr
                        I have exactly the same problem with an older version (RoboHELP 9) that stopped working, same error. It worked fine with an older version of MS Office (and, of course, Word and Access). Anyone know what version of MS Office I need to use RoboHELP 9?