8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 10:11 AM by Erma

What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?

Erma

I have footage that is 1920x1080/60p and 1920x1080/60i that I will combine into one project to edit. First off, what project setting should I be using? I will be creating Blu-ray and DVDs. The Blu-ray quality looks great. BUT the DVD quality is not good at all. I understand I will be getting loss of quality creating DVDs, but not that much. When creating DVDs what is the preset for NTSC_ Widescreen_Dolby DVD? When saving a file to computer  - NTSC_ Widescreen, it has an advanced option where you can change the settings to get better quality. I am using Elements 12. Will this advanced feature be added to creating DVDs in the next version?

• 1. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Erma

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

A new version of Premiere Elements is expected at the end of September 2014, not too far away from now. Only Adobe knows the feature set for its new version, and it does not reveal that type of information until the moment of release of the new version.

Premiere Elements (any version) offers only one project preset and one export. So, if you have a mixed Timeline, then you are going to have to set priorities.

In the case of your 1080i30 and 1080p60 sources in one project....For DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, have you looked at

a. Project Preset verified as NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30

b. Import of 1080i30 and 1080p60.

c. Right click of Timeline's 1080i30, selection from pop up of Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance

d. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD.

In the case of your 1080i30 and 1080p60 sources in one project....For Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, have you looked at

a. Project Preset verified as NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD 1080p60

b. Import of 1080p60 and 1080i30

c. Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray with preset H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

(that is going to be 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second)

Please review, consider, and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
            Erma Level 1

You raise new questions:

What is the difference between 12.0 and 12.1? I have 12.0 running on

windows 7. Do I need 12.1? I also have a computer running 8.1.

I just bought 12 this week, does Adobe allow for upgrade to new version

within a time period.

For a mixed timeline, I want to edit only one time and save to Blu-ray and

DVD. Which project preset Full HD1080i30 or AVCHD 1080p60 would be best?

Should I Record everything Full HD1080i30 to get my Blu-ray and DVDs? I

have two cameras one only with HD1080i30 and one with both Full HD1080i30

and AVCHD 1080p60?

Do you know what is the preset for NTSC_ Widescreen_Dolby DVD?

NTSC_Widescreen for saving to computer has advanced options, where you can

change quality 3 up to 5? Interlaced or progressive?. CBR? lower/higher

VBR, 1 pass or 2 pass?

Thanks

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Erma

Thanks for the reply.

12.1 Update was released by Adobe for Premiere Elements 12 around March 2014. It's obvious fix is related to the text styles issue specific to the Expert workspace. There are supposed be other perks.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/03/pe12-update-121-released.html

This update is free and is accessed only from within the opened project, using Help Menu/Update.

If history repeats itself, Adobe should be releasing a new version of Premiere Elements at the end of September 2014. No one but Adobe knows the feature set, and that type of information is released by it only at the moment of release of the new version. In the past, after the new version release, Adobe has announced its policy with regard to going to the new version from a recent purchase of the version that the new version replaces.

For a mixed timeline, I want to edit only one time and save to Blu-ray and

DVD. Which project preset Full HD1080i30 or AVCHD 1080p60 would be best?

DVD-VIDEO and the Field Order of interlaced frame rates are the concern. Do a mini test run to determine which works for you. DVD-VIDEO uses Field Order = Lower Field First. Your 1080i30 does not. It uses Upper Field First. And, there is my moment of pause. Contrast.... If the destination is Blu-ray, your interlaced source is going from and to an Upper Field First.

The project preset should be set to match the properties of the source media. There again the matter of priorities.

But, when it comes to export and you have a choice of 1440 x 1080 HD Anamorphic 16:9 vs 1920 x 1080 16:9, go with the 1920 x 1080 16:9 which will not depend on a 16:9 flag to stretch the video to 1920 x 1080 16:9. Some players have problems with the 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 4:3 to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

Not sure what you mean by

Do you know what is the preset for NTSC_ Widescreen_Dolby DVD?

When you burn your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on a DVD disc, NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD is the preset that you select in the burn dialog.

That will give you your Timeline in NTSC DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc (720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second). In this case, the 16:9 flag stretches the video to about 856 x 480 for display after encoding. You cannot customize that preset.

Not sure where you are going on this

NTSC_Widescreen for saving to computer has advanced options, where you can

VBR, 1 pass or 2 pass?

No matter what file you send through the Premiere Elements Publish+Share burn to with the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD setting, you are always going to get the same results (export properties) of the present

720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second). In this case, the 16:9 flag stretches the video to about 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

If you want to export your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive, you can use the Publish+Share/Computer/ Advanced settings. But, then you need to decide on your playback opportunities related to the specifications of the player.

Please review and then we can work through the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
                Erma Level 1

Thanks for all your help. I will try to your suggestions.

For exporting your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard

drive - NTSC_Widescreen has an advanced options button, where you can

VBR, 1 pass or 2 pass?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Erma

From the options that you are referring to, I suspect that you are seeking

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen

At that location, click on the Advanced Button to open the Export Settings Customization area.

MPEG.JPG

The settings that you mentioned are in the Export Settings that opens after clicking on the Advanced Button/Video Tab.

There are also audio settings under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab.

I would suggest that you also look at

NTSC

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 NTSC DV Widescreen and the Export Settings customization that can be done there.

Seems to give more flexibility in some areas.

Definitely keep away from Adobe export options that give the choice "Automatic (based on source)". In essentially all

cases, they do not work.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
                    Erma Level 1

Yes, NTSC_Widescreen, that is the advanced options I was talking about. It

gives you options for creating a better quality video.

It would be nice to have those kind of options for burning a

NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD with premiere elements. Other Burn to DVD

programs give you options like that to give better quality. (interlaced or

progressive; 1 pass or 2 pass; etc...) I was hoping to find out what the

actual presets for premiere elements burn to DVD is?

Thanks though

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Erma

We are not Adobe. Rather user to user with no insider information.

The Premiere Elements NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset used in its burn to DVD disc is not meant as a preset that can be customized by the user.

The end product, in your case, is NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc (720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

At this time, I have not attempted to alter the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset that is used in the project. That type of endeavor would involve finding the hard drive file associated with that preset, reading it (not any easy task, the hardest part is reading the document), and knowing how to edit that document.

If there is any gain to be gotten from an informational point of view, then consider creating a DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, open the DVD disc, open its VIDEO_TS Folder, find the VTS_01_1.VOB file (video file) in the VIDEO_TS Folder, and get a video/audio properties readout of the VTS_01_1.VOB from a program such as MediaInfo (Tree View).

ATR

• 8. Re: What is the presets for creating NTSC_ Widescreen DVDs?
                        Erma Level 1

great idea thanks

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>