19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 8:31 PM by The Primate

Camoflauge fill

The Primate Level 1

I am running Windows 8.1 and InDesign CS 5. Instead of a solid color for my headline, I want to make it in a green army type camoflauge. I have a jpg that has the pattern I want, but I don't know how to get that into InDesign to color my text with that pattern. It is an article about the coup in Thailand, and I thought this would be pretty cool.

Thanks, everybody,

Lou

• 1. Re: Camoflauge fill
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It goes like this:

(1) Select the text that should have the special fill.

(2) Convert it to outlines (Type>Create Outlines)

(3) Set the images of the fill and cut it.

(4) Select the outlines text, and do a paste into (Edit > Paste Into)

• 2. Re: Camoflauge fill
            The Primate Level 1

The first two were easy and thanks. I don't understand "Set the images of the fill and cut it".Can you explain the steps to that?

Lou

• 3. Re: Camoflauge fill
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course you don't, it's total gibberish.

I meant to write:

SELECT the image of the fill (the graphic that has the texture you want

-- I'm presuming it's there in your document somewhere already), and

then cut it (Edit>Cut, or Ctrl-X).

• 4. Re: Camoflauge fill
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ariel meant Place the image (File > Place) then cut it.

• 5. Re: Camoflauge fill
                  The Primate Level 1

I did what you said. I selected the camouflage image. Selected the text. "Paste into" is grayed out and I can't select. I tried "paste in place", but that made the text disappear.

Lou

• 6. Re: Camoflauge fill
                    MW Design Level 4

Place your image.

Convert your headline to outlines.

Cut the image from the page.

Select your outlined type.

Right-click and choose Paste Into:

capture-002016.png

You should end up with:

capture-002017.png

But if you do further commands in ID after cutting the image, the context menu will not be present.

You can also simply place the image into the type.

Select your outlined type with the direct select tool (white pointer).

Press ctrl/cmd + d

Choose your image.

Your camo image should now be inside the outlined type.

It may not be sized appropriately. If that is the case, then double click with your left mouse button on the camo type and resize it.

Mike

• 7. Re: Camoflauge fill
                      The Primate Level 1

I tried your last instruction, using CTRL D. The camouflage filled the box with my type completely. The letters were gone. I brought the camo to the front, to the back, but I can't see the letters, just the camo. That's what was happening with the previous tries, although now I am seeing the "paste into". I tried selecting the type with the selection tool, the direct selection tool, and the type tool. In all cases, my type disappears instead of filling in the letter outlines.

Lou

• 8. Re: Camoflauge fill
                        MW Design Level 4

Did you choose to outline the type from the Type menu?

We're not talking about adding a stroke on the letters.

• 9. Re: Camoflauge fill
                          The Primate Level 1

I chose my type three times with the type tool, the selection tool and the direct selection tool, then "create outlines". In all cases, the type disappeared instead of giving the beautiful camo shown above.

Lou

• 10. Re: Camoflauge fill
                            MW Design Level 4

You simply select the type's frame with the black pointer and then convert it to outlines.

If the type is not in its own frame, copy it and put it into its own frame. Then select the frame with the black pointer, convert to outlines.

• 11. Re: Camoflauge fill
                              Migintosh Level 4

When you outline text that has more than one character, the characters are combined into a Compound Path. If you're not up on Illustrator-type vector work, that just means that more than one path are working together. For example, the letter T will make a single path, but the letter O requires two (the outer circle and the inner circle).

When you outline several characters, it creates a compound path that makes all of the characters a single object. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to have one image placed inside the whole word/phrase. When you select the outlined type, you will see one bounding box around it, as if it were in a frame. What I suspect happened was that you selected this bounding box when you pasted the camo image, and the image replaced the compound path.

Instead, switch to the direct select tool (white arrow), and instead of the bounding box being selected, you will see the paths of the letters, with handles and nodes visible. Paste into this, and you're good to go.

EDIT: I should mention that this is how it works if you outline after selecting the content of the text frame before you outline. By that I mean that you use the type tool and select characters instead of using the Selection tool to select the whole text frame. That will create the outlines as an anchored image within the text frame. If you select the frame instead of the type within the frame, it will work more like you think it should.

• 12. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Personally, I'd do the headlines in Illustrator and place them into your InDesign document, because Illustrator allows you to use live text as a clipping mask (a rather fashionable effect at the moment). This way, if the headline changes, you can simply edit the text rather than re-setting it and starting again.

In Illustrator have the text on top of the image, select both, then go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

• 13. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                  The Primate Level 1

I've never used Illustrator, but have it. Can you tell me the steps to doing this?

Lou

• 14. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you tell me the steps to doing this?

Danny summed it up for you in post #12: "In Illustrator have the text on top of the image, select both, then go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make."

And that is essentially it...

Launch Illustrator

Choose File > New and set the Profile to Print

Choose File > Place to bring in your camouflage image

Choose the Type tool and set your headline (font, size, kerning, etc.)

Use the Black Arrow to select your headline and move it in front of the camouflage image

With the text and image selected, choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make

Save as .AI

Place it in InDesign, using File > Place

• 15. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                      The Primate Level 1

I had several frustrating tries, but I finally got it. Thanks to all. I can't believe how effective and fast this forum is. Thanks to all of you for being so concerned and helpful. I don't know enough to help others with Adobe products (but I'm learning on Lynda.com) but I'll pay it forward to a kindness to someone here in Arizona.

Lou

• 16. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                        winterm Level 4

sorry for commenting on already 'answered' thread...

I believe, many of you guys, remember the old trick of doing this and keeping the text live... without leaving ID.

like this (notice text frame):

cam.png

Advantages: done 'in place', no other apps involved, text remains live and editable, you can adjust image/text positions, change text or image easily, at any time.

Disadvantage: it's possible on a pure white background only...

• 17. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                          Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

Can be done without a pure white background only... is an ordeal though and requires planning ahead. I wrote about it a while ago and provided a PDF at the end as a proof of principle.

Live Text Masking in InDesign | Colecandoo!

Colin

• 18. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                            winterm Level 4

cdflash wrote:

is an ordeal though and requires planning ahead.

yeah, that is...

so, we have three ways (or maybe more?) of doing the thing. Good to know it. But no one is perfect - so you must choose every time. If you know all of them .

Only one way was discussed above - that's all I wanted to notice.

• 19. Re: Camoflauge fill
                                              The Primate Level 1

To John Mensinger,

Thanks for your instructions. I had to add a few actions to make it work (underlined), because it said I couldn't make a clipping mask because there was only one object.

Lou

Launch Illustrator

Choose File > New and set the Profile to Print

Choose File > Place to bring in your camouflage image

Choose the Type tool and set your headline (font, size, kerning, etc.)

Use the Black Arrow to select your headline and move over (in front of) the camouflage image

Bring the headline to the front Object>arrange>bring to front

Take your camo image (or any other) and send back Object>arrange>send to back

Click on your head line then <shift> click image. Both must be selected

Choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make

Save as .AI