21 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2017 8:03 PM by kathy8488

Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12

dpiras87

Hi everybody,

I have a serious problem... when I create a movie menu and then I click on preview, its quality is really bad, images and text as well! I tried to burn the DVD to see if it was just a preview problem but it's still the same. I've also installed the software on another PC but nothing changed. How can I solve it?

Please help me! Thank you very much in advance!

• 1. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which exact menu did you select, and are you trying to use a BluRay menu on a DVD project?

• 2. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

dpris87

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update, using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

What is the project preset that is being used in these projects with destination burn to and which present with blurred menus? How many of these

Movie Menus have you tried to use and have run into the problem? Do any of your Movie Menu selections have HD in their upper right corner of the thumbnails in Movie Menu display of themes? Are you customizing the Movie Menu? And, if so, in what ways?

It is not unusual for the Movie Menu Previews to present with a lower quality. The major function of these Previews is to assure that the navigation buttons are working correctly.

What is your end product with menus - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc? What brand and type DVD disc are you using? What is your player?

We might consider deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists, even go for an uninstall/reinstall of the program, but for now let us consider the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
              dpiras87 Level 1

Thank you both for the replies.

The software is updated to the latest version and is running on Windows 8.1. I already created 2 months ago a DVD with a movie menu, but I didn't notice that.

Anyway the quality of the preview is worse using HD menus. I didn't see the little HD in the right corner (thanks ATR!). So I used a HD movie menu (New baby - Baby Clouds) and I burn the DVD on a TDK DVD-RW1-2X SPEED. I played the DVD on my PC only. Today I used my DVD Player (no-brand) on TV and the quality is better. I've selected Publish+Share - Disc - DVD - Quality: Fit Contents to available space. Maybe I have to clear the check box and choose +Highest Quality?

Thanks a lot!

• 4. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

dpiras87

Thanks for the reply.

Definitely do not remove the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

The only time to leave that option unchecked is when and if you get a data rate error message and you are forced to lower

the bitrate manually in order to continue in the project.

The maximum bitrate for the variable bitrate of the burn to DVD disc is 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second).

When the "Fit Content to available space" has a check mark next to it and you see a bitrate value lower than 8.00 Mbps

that is the program lowering the bitrate and file size to make the fit on the disc. The lower the bitrate, the lower the quality.

In that case....

If the DVD disc is 4.7 GB/120 minutes (in reality 4.38 GB), then go to the DVD disc 8.5/240 minutes (in reality 7.95 GB).

We will be watching for your results. More comments on the DVD menus if needed.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                  dpiras87 Level 1

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the result because it stopped to burn at 4% and then nothing...blocked! I don't know what to do. Only if I burn a little project it's ok.

I know this is another issue but if you can help me would be really appreciated!

• 6. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dpiras87

Do not give up.

Just to verify....where is the burn to process stopping....

Encoding menus 1 of....

Encoding media

Compiling media

Burning

Go back to the Timeline content...

a. Make sure that none of the Timeline markers are too close to one another. If you have a stop marker at the end of

the last item on the Timeline, remove it. It is not needed and causes burn to issues.

Go back to the Movie Menu customization area and inspect the buttons on the main menu and scene menu pages.

a. Make sure that area of one button is not overlapping with the area of another. If overlapping of buttons exists, you

will see red frames around the buttons involved.

Go back to the Timeline content again...this time

a. press the End Key of the computer main keyboard....does the Timeline Indicator move to the end of the last item

on the Timeline or beyond? If it goes beyond, expand the Timeline with the zoom in  and zoom out slider, and inspect

for leftover fragments or clips, and delete them.

To double check what is might be going on....

a. burn to disc without the disc menu

b. do a burn to folder rather than a burn to disc

Also, in the Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the Disc Encoding category. What is shown for the Disc Encoding save location and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...you did not mention any error message associated with this problem, but I will post the following Adobe document on Premiere Elements and Compiling Errors just in case

Error "Error compiling movie" during render or export

• 7. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                      dpiras87 Level 1

Thanks again ATR for replying.

The burn stops at Burning.

I deleted some markers too close but nothing changed unfortuntely. Here is a screencap: http://oi59.tinypic.com/29vnqkh.jpg

The buttons are ok, no red frames, white only.

I've pressed the End key and the timeline indicator moved to the end of the last item.

I didn't try to burn it without the menu yet. I'll do it tomorrow and let you know.

About the save location there is still 279GB free space.

• 8. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                        dpiras87 Level 1

Thanks again ATR for replying.

The burn stops at Burning.

I deleted some markers too close but nothing changed unfortuntely. Here is a screencap:

29vnqkh.jpg

The buttons are ok, no red frames, white only.

I've pressed the End key and the timeline indicator moved to the end of the last item.

I didn't try to burn it without the menu yet. I'll do it tomorrow and let you know.

About the save location there is still 279GB free space.

• 9. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

dpiras87

Thank for the replies with the additional results.

Let us look at two factors...

a. the burn to disc of this particular Timeline without the menus and scene buttons

and also

b. the burn to folder for this particular Timeline with everything as is, menus and scene buttons.

The information from the above should help us focus in on the cause of the burn not going to completion.

But, just to make sure that I have not misinterpreted anything that you have written, you did say that you had a

successful burn to disc before this latest one or no successful burn to in this latest ones or any before?

ATR

• 10. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                            dpiras87 Level 1

a. without menus and markers burn complete!

b. nothing changed.

Yes I had a successful burn with a little project, just to try, 1 clip only with a simple menu.

• 11. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                              dpiras87 Level 1

And the quality of the menus (I can say I tried them all!) is always really poor!

I contacted Adobe but they didn't tell me anything new or helpful to solve these 2 important issues...

• 12. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

dpiras87

Thanks for the latest news.

Let look back...

a. Let us go back to that one time when you had one clip on the Timeline and you produced a DVD-VIDEO with menus on DVD disc successfully.

What was that one clip - video (if so, what format and what duration) and/or photo (if so, what pixel dimensions)? What was the specific disc menu?

How many menu makers did you place in that Timeline?

b. What I would like you to do is the following...continue with the project mentioned above "a" and gradually add more content to the Timeline - same menus, but with menu markers for the added content. How far can you go with the Timeline content additions before you can no longer get a successful DVD-VIDEO with menus on DVD disc?

ATR

• 13. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                  danidalmonte

I have almost the same problem!

I've created a video and applied some "motion > scale"  in some images. When I press play to see the result, all the image behind start to twinkle... At first I thought it would not appear when I publish/save it in HD, but that's not what happened! It seems that even with a ultra power full HD saving video I will still have the images twinkling.

Why's that?

• 14. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

danidalmonte

Please remind us what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system it is running?

What was involved in your scaling - video or still - scale from 100% to what - and scaling keyframed or not?

When you looked at the playback of your scaled image, did you render that Timeline content beforehand by pressing the Enter Key of the

computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview of that Timeline content in the Edit area monitor playback?

Not sure what you mean by twinkling....if you mean flicker, then trying to apply the anti-flicker filter in the Motion Panel or Flicker Removal in the Field Options choices (see right click of video on Timeline). Are you working with interlaced video or progressive?

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Please explain why you believe

"I have almost the same problem!"

• 15. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                      dpiras87 Level 1

Hi ATR,

thank you again for your help.

Finally I've burn the DVD. I don't know what was the real solution. I just chosen a different menu (not HD) and I deleted all scene markers recreating them all.

The menu quality issue is still there. I have to say on TV it is better than on PC, but it's not perfect anyway. I'm thinking that the menus quality is like it is... poor. There is a way to download more menus?

And do you know how to move the titles on the menu? Because I tried to move them with the arrows but doesn't work. I have to move the titles with mouse, but in this way I'm not able to place them in the same place in other menus.

• 16. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

dpiras87

Thanks for the update with the great news of the successful burn to DVD. Great job sorting through the troubleshooting possibilities.

The menu titles and button movements seems to be by mouse not arrow keys.

For getting the same customized menu project to project, you could consider

a. copying the .psd file for the Adobe version of the theme and customizing those.psd files on the hard drive using Photoshop CS or higher

or

b. using copies of a dummy project with the customized menu

As for getting new menus...

a. not from Adobe

b. customizing existing Adobe menus or creating your own

c. purchasing from online sites

What size TV screen are you using for viewing your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? Does the TV include any technology that enhances

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc playback?

I have a blog which includes several disc menus creation how tos. I will posts links to them if you are interested.

ATR

• 17. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                          dpiras87 Level 1

Hi ATR,

thanks for the tips. I'm using a 40" TV screen. No the TV doesn't include any technology about DVD-VIDEO.

Yes please if you can post them, would be great.

Thanks a lot!

• 18. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

dpiras87

Thanks for the reply.

As a footnote in the following is a list of all of the blog's posts focusing on disc menus creation and related matters.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Disc Menu Folders/Files Locations

Any questions or need clarification on any of that, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                              pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please use DV standard/widescreen menus if you have DV contents or if you want to burn dvd..

If you have HD contents then use HD menus.

You can also burn HD contents on DVD using burn to AVCHD option and you will get menu quality better than dvd burn.

Thanks,

Premiere Elements Team

• 20. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

pgauba

You wrote

Please use DV standard/widescreen menus if you have DV contents or if you want to burn dvd..

Consider that the project preset determines which disc menu sets (s, w, or hd) that will be shown to you for theme selection in Tools/Movie Menu.

If you have a NTSC or PAL DV Standard or NTSC or PAL Widescreen project preset, you will not get any hd choices. So, your suggestion

in that instance is not relevant since the user has no choice in the matter. And, the irony of it all, if the project has a NTSC or PAL Widescreen

project preset, often the program opts to use the s (standard) instead of the w (widescreen) set of .psd files. In those cases, you can see that when you read the Notepad document of the saved closed project.prel to which menus have been applied.

In the case where the user has a high definition project preset and high definition source media destined for DVD-VIDEO widescreen, the user will then have hd and (s/w) menus displaying for selection in the Movie Menu area. However, I do not find any difference in disc menu quality in the end product whether I select a hd  or (s/w) choice. So, I would question your generalization

If you have HD contents then use HD menus.

Reflect, that whether the disc menu was designed as hd (1440 x 1080 sizing) or s/w (720 x 576 sizing), the menu (VTS_01_0.VOB) in the final DVD-VIDEO product is 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) for standard definition (widescreen). I have not found starting with a hd menu is going to give a better sd end product menu.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 21. Re: Bad quality movie menu in Premiere Elements 12
                                                  kathy8488 Level 1

I purchased Premiere Elements 15 specifically because it allows me to edit a project and add movie menus without having to purchase separate DVD-authoring software. I've been trying to figure out why the movie menus I created are fuzzy (both uploaded photo and menu text) when played on Preview Disc and also on the burned DVD. After creating two additional 'test' projects, I was able to figure out the problem - the movie menu playback is not fuzzy until I upload a music clip to the movie menu. This was a problem with more than one of the menu themes.

Any suggestions on how to fix this aside from settling for silent movie menus?

Thanks,

Kathy