9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 12:23 PM by A.T. Romano

Processor not at 100% while rendering...

arizonadeux

Hey Everyone,

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a laptop for rudimentary edits while I'm away from my desktop and I noticed that the processor usage maxes out at 58% (ca. 1GHz) while rendering. For the most part I can avoid rendering, but sometimes it's simply necessary in order to continue working.

Does anyone know why this happens and if it can be fixed? Does it have to do with the software compatibility with this processor? Is it a Win8 issue? (I could install Win7 on the machine but I would like to avoid that if at all possible, but I would to fix this issue)

Here are the specs for the laptop. On my desktop with an i5 3570 running Win7 x64 I don't have this issue.

Gigabyte U2142 Win8 64-bit

i5-3317U 1.7-2.6GHz

4GB RAM

64GB SSD (where PE11 is installed and where the project files are stored)

256GB HDD (for storage)

• 1. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

4Gig of ram is "barely" enough to load a 64bit operating system and the Premiere Elements program, with very little left for actual work... so it MAY be that your CPU is not working hard because your ram is limiting how much video data may flow

is that 256Gig hard drive 7200 rpm or 5400 rpm? (if 5400 rpm, that is a data flow limiter)

• 2. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
            arizonadeux Level 1

I was planning to upgrade the RAM anyhow, so that would be something I could try. I was also planning on upgrading the other components, but if the laptop proves useless for even basic editing, I would rather save the money.

The HDD is probably 5400 rpm, but the project I work on is on the SSD.

I also have a tech support request running with Gigabyte, but we're still at the early stage where they're asking me if the computer is plugged in, even after I've asked advanced questions regarding BIOS settings

• 3. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
              A.T. Romano Level 7

arizonadeux

What are the Timeline render times that you are encountering for Timeline content with orange line over it - example, for file to which Brightness has been applied, for same file to which Stabilizer has been applied?

What is your surface complaint in this regard -

a. Render time too long

b. Quality of Timeline rendered content is looking poorly at playback in the Edit area monitor

c. Other

ATR

• 4. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
                arizonadeux Level 1

Hey ATR,

The issue isn't the render time per se, rather the fact that I know it could be shorter if the program utilized 100% of the processor. I'm trying to figure out if this is due to the program's compatibility with my laptop or the laptop itself (BIOS settings...etc.).

• 5. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

arizonadeux

Thanks for the reply.

Have you discussed any of this matter with the manufacturer of the laptop?

Aside comments....

Is your SSD the Local Disk C?

Where are the Scratch Disks directed, and how much free hard drive space is there for each category?

256 GB Hard Drive or 64 GB SSD? Please refer to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Try directing the project file and all the Scratch Disks including Media Cache there to 256 GB Hard Drive if you have

not already and let us know the outcome.

Any advances with Adobe via Adobe Chat?

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 6. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
                    arizonadeux Level 1

As I said in my previous post: "I also have a tech support request running with Gigabyte, but we're still at the early stage where they're asking me if the computer is plugged in, even after I've asked advanced questions regarding BIOS settings." This status has not changed.

The SSD is C: and is also where Windows and other programs are installed. The scratch disks are also on the SSD for speed, and there is plenty of free space for rendering files (15.6 GB). To test performance, I'm rendering about 1 min of video.

I haven't tried Adobe chat, but I'll give it a shot and let you know if that was productive.

***UPDATE: I searched for chat and it's not available for Premiere Elements.

CORRECTION: not that it really matters, but the HDD is 465 GB, not 256 as I previously stated.

• 7. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

arizonadeux

For a long while it has been difficult to find an active Premiere Elements Chat Panel.

What I have been suggesting is the following

Click on the following link to get to a Premiere Elements Chat Panel that is available and active.

http://helpx.adobe.com/sea/contact.html?step=PRE_adobe-id-signing-in_stillNeedHelp

Premiere Elements

Adobe ID, Signing In

Adobe ID, sign in, account help

Chat Panel.

I have the link set for those titles. If the set does not hold, then you will have to navigate the path to Chat Panel using the above titles.

The titles could be better, but it does have an active Chat Panel which I hope will answer your question and/or direct you to Adobe

Tech help.

As for your computer setup, I would really like to see those Scratch Disks directed to the HDD. I do not consider 15.6 GB for "rendering files" to be enough. That may not be the whole story. But, we will let the details tell the story.

Looking forward to your follow up with further details when you have a chance.

ATR

• 8. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
                        arizonadeux Level 1

So the chat was unfortunately unsuccessful.

I moved the project to the HDD and began rendering. No change. In the snapshots, you can also see that the RAM used for the 20s I'm testing with isn't the limiting factor.

Here is using the SSD:

rendering_ssd.JPG

Here is using the HDD:

rendering_hdd.JPG

• 9. Re: Processor not at 100% while rendering...
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

arizonadeux

Thanks for the reply with the follow up information.

What was the outcome of your conference with Adobe via its Adobe Chat? I know that you wrote

"So the chat was unfortunately unsuccessful."

1. Did it say that it saw the problem but it could not fix the problem for you and would contact Adobe Engineers?

or

2. Did it say that there was no problem and explained why?

or

3. When it came to the processor

i5-3317U 1.7-2.6GHz

what did it have to say about that Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz and CPU?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1593516

From what you wrote 1.7 - 2.6 GHz, I am assuming that the processor is characterized by that Turbo Boost, yet I

see in Task Manager Performance, the maximum speeds = 1.70 GHz.

ATR