15 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 10:14 AM by Jomacs18

Why the movie actions needs to be fixed

LARV Level 1

Here´s the most basic example of why the movie interactivity doesn´t work fully in Edge.

In the project below is nothing but an imported 3D animated movie clip (which works), and a button telling the movie to play (which works too).

At the 3,5 mark there´s a trigger telling the movie to pause. It doesn´t, it keeps on running. I´ve tried using "stop all" and multiple other actions, by themselves or in combinations. The movie doesn´t pause. I have managed to make it pause at different intervals, but it was so cumbersome I can´t use it in my work as a graphic news designer. Edge constantly crashes too.

I hope this problem will be adressed in the next update. I bought Edge to add interactivity to animations done in 3D programs, and for now I can´t use Edge for that. Unless I have missed some crucial feature.

edgepause.jpg

• 1. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

I am not sure why you are having a hard time with this.

Here is my example.

1. Imported sample video;

2. Added it to Stage - kept Autoplay on (from Properties Panel) for this movie instance to test step 3;

3. Somewhere on the Timeline added {} pause snippet action: sym.$("christmas_snow")[0].pause();
              Preview in Browser and it works - movie auto-starts - then is paused based on (2) timeline trigger.

4. Added a rectangle button placeholder and onclick event handler {} I added the play/pause snippet action action since the event  needs to determine when the video is playing or paused.

if (sym.$("christmas_snow")[0].paused) {

sym.$("christmas_snow")[0].play();

} else {

sym.$("christmas_snow")[0].pause();

}

Preview: http://www.heathrowe.com/edge/movieplaypause/

Darrell

• 2. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
            LARV Level 1

1. I imported the movie.

2. Set the movie to autoplay.

3. added trigger on timeline with action movie>pause

4. added button with onclick>movie>play/pause.

Movie autoplays in browser. Doesn´t pause.

• 3. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed

I don't know what to tell ya?  Can you see it operating fine in my example?

Can you zip up your project files and share it via Adobe Cloud storage.

D

• 5. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                LARV Level 1

If you scroll across the timeline you can see where my pauses are set. When I play it it seems to randomly place those pauses. Not where intended. I´ve managed to get this result earlier in this process.

• 6. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                  LARV Level 1

For some reason the video disappeared from that first link. Try this:

http://adobe.ly/1rZF0dA

• 7. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed

Sorry for the delay. would you be kind to .zip up the project and share that way through Adobe CC. Unlike other cloud services Adobe does not have a 'download all' at once option.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                      LARV Level 1

Here it is: http://adobe.ly/1pXWEXx

Another problem is that the preview is never the same twice. Even without changes it sometimes pauses and sometimes not. Sometimes the first pause lands correct but never the rest. Sometimes it never pauses at all.

And I don´t understand why Edge doesnt accept a standard playbutton starting the timeline, and when a pause is made the play button should keep playing from the paused position. It´s unlogical. I understand you people are trying to give us great things and I think Edge will be great one day, but unless I´m doing some major mistake here I hope one of you could tell me that "Yeah, this is not optimal". Then I could wait untill further versions instead of sitting days on end with this.

With that said, I appreciate your teams help very much, and if this turns out that I have just missed some detail I´ll gladly appologise for my "rants" about this.

• 9. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed

Yes - something is amiss with this process.

Sometimes it works, more often, not - the Pause gets ignored.

I'll see if I can get someones attention on this.

Darrell

• 10. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                          LARV Level 1

Thank you. Now I can sleep in peace.

• 11. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Larv,

The video element actions included in Edge Animate do work correctly. Animate uses standard HTML5 video element Javascript API, so if the browser supports HTML5 and the video format used, then the code will work.

The problem is this: In the edgepause.zip file you posted, you're using timeline triggers to pause your video element - but you're not playing or controlling the timeline itself in any way. Allow me to break it down into the issues that therefore occur:

1. Autoplay for the Stage is unchecked - this means the main (Stage) timeline never plays, which is to say all of those pause triggers you set in the timeline don't actually ever run. So although you click the button to begin playing the video element - the timeline never gets directed to play in your code, and therefore your triggers don't ever execute. Make sense?
                            2. Because you're trying to synchronize the video element to triggers in the timeline, you must do more than just play the timeline to start everything. You must also control the timeline and video element simultaneously in your code - otherwise, a race condition will occur (one run will run away from the other). This is because video elements have their own internal time track, independent of the timeline constructions used in Animate. In this respect, video elements are similar to Animate's symbol timelines - once told to play, they will play independently of the containing timeline unless directed otherwise with code. So in your comp, both timeline and video element must be synchronized with code to work as expected.

So we address these issues by controlling both the video element and the timeline simultaneously - in all of the code (both button click event and timeline triggers). Begin by checking Autoplay for the Stage - this plays your timeline. Then every time you issue sym.$("funka2")[0].play(), also include sym.play() to play the timeline. And vice-versa, every time you issue sym.$("funka2")[0].pause(), also include sym.stop() to stop the timeline. Doing this verifies that one will not play while the other is stopped or paused.

I've modified your composition with the correct code - you can download it here: (example removed)

Please examine it in the code editor, and test it in the browser. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

hth,

Joe

p.s. Note you should also include an mp4 version of the video in your media folder to ensure widest compatibility (i.e., IE and Safari won't even recognize ogv or webm files as video)

• 12. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                              LARV Level 1

Well, what can I say.. that was easy.

I though I´d tried it all, and obviously hadn´t. I will not claim the program is not working from now on, simply because I couldn´t figure something out.

Thank you so much. Great job.

You can delete this thread if you want, since the title I wrote is not correct and therefor misleading.

• 13. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed

Awesome Joe, thanks for stepping in and clarifying.

Something so simple

Darrell

• 14. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                                  jbowden Adobe Employee

No worries, Larv- glad I could help. 

It can get confusing when creating different mechanisms to control video playback in Animate - so if you don't mind, let's leave this post so other users can learn how to make something like this work correctly.

I'll remove the link to the example file, though.

Regards,

Joe

• 15. Re: Why the movie actions needs to be fixed
                                    Jomacs18

I am wondering, Is there a way to trigger an event on the stage timeline when the HTML video ends?