16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 5:48 AM by Jao vdL

Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module

Hespeet Level 1

Hello,

I experience a problem.

After I update photos in the Development module, the updates seem not to be shown in the Library module. And when I subsequently export to Flickr, Flickr is also showing the original photo, not the adapted one.

I noticed this the first time after making Blacks a bit deeper, causing a sunflower to become a deeper yellow. I thought that my adaptations were not applied in the Library module. After I checked with cranking down the Saturation all the way back (to almost black-and-white), that adaptation WAS applied in the Library view. So it had to be something else, causing the same color difference between the Library and Development modules.

When I switch from the Library module to the Development module, I see a slight delay in applying my changes, but they are applied. Before they are applied, I can see that the original photo is shown and that looks the same as in the Library module and on Flickr.

The photostrip on the bottom of the Lightroom screen also shows the original photos only, unless I go to the development module and select a photo (adaptations are applied in the photostrip after I select the photo, not before).

After I played a bit more in the Development module, I found something strange in the Camera Calibration menu of the Development module. The Adobe Profile (my default) caused an obvious color difference between the Library (less saturated) and the Development (more saturated) modules. The Camera Standard profile also showed a (very) slight difference, but I was unable to notice the differences using the other profiles.

So I was thinking (but it's only a guess), that the profiles are not applied in the Library view and on export, but they are in the Development module?

I use Lightroom 5.6, Camera RAW 8.6.

Please help me, as this is very annoying. I currently cannot export my photos to Flickr or anywhere else, unless I overcompensate before exporting. And I really don't want to do that. My Lightroom photo is my perfect photo, and I want to keep it that way...

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Peter

• 1. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Library and Develop should look almost identical and the Camera Profile along with all the other settings are applied in Library the same as Develop.

Several things could be wrong and what is affecting Library may be different than what is affecting Flickr.

The Previews can become corrupted and no changes are visible in the Previews because of this but you said you do see the lack of color when you turn down the saturation so that can’t be it.

Sometimes the LR preferences become corrupted and weird things happen, but lets try a few more common things, first.

Check your Export / File Settings / Image Format and make sure they are set to JPG not Original, otherwise you are just exporting the original image without adjustments.  Another thing to check in your Export panel is that the Color Space is set to sRGB at least for images that others will view online, like Flickr.  Have you exported your almost-black-and-white photo and checked if the treatment is replicated or not?  

In any case, the most likely thing that is wrong is your color-management on your computer is not working properly.  The usual cause of this is that the monitor profile is not compatible with LR.  A way to check this is to set your default monitor profile to sRGB.  The way to set your profile to sRGB is different between PC and Mac and getting to the settings may be somewhat different between Windows 7 and Windows 8, but you haven’t said what OS you’re using. 

Another question would be what brand and model of monitor do you have?  There are standard-gamut monitors, which have been the norm for many decades, and display approximately the sRGB range of colors, and then there are wide-gamut monitors which can display a slightly wider range of colors, usually the AdobeRGB range.

• 2. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
            Hespeet Level 1

Hi ssprengel,

Thanks for your reply. Let me react to each possibility you mention and provide some extra information.

- "Check your Export / File Settings / Image Format and make sure they are set to JPG not Original". Done that, it's not on Original, but on jpg. This would not explain why I see the difference in the Library and Development modules, by the way. But better to know for sure.

- "...the most likely thing that is wrong is your color-management on your computer is not working properly". It is a PC with Windows 7. I have been using Lightroom for maybe 6 years and I never had this problem before. The last time I changed my setup is more than a year ago and this problem only started to happen a short while ago (after the update to Lightroom 5.6? I'm not sure, but that's the only thing that has changed lately). I use a Spider to create a custom profile that is correct for my setup and do a regular update on the profile.

- "what brand and model of monitor do you have?" I have an EIZO FlexScan S2411W and use that for a long time as well. I chose this brand of monitors for its good color reproduction and I have been happy with it for years now.

What I am not getting is why would all this show a difference between the Library and Development module? The only difference is the Lightroom software that is switching from one module to another, and that should deliver the same photo. I'm also stating in my first post that the differences are very noticeable using the Adobe Standard Camera Profile in the Development module. I have a feeling that the profile is part of the problem.

• 3. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
              adriandelsi Level 1

I am having the same issue (blacks) between the Library and Develop module. I called X-Rite thinking this was a profile issue caused when I calibrated my monitor but was told that the Library and Develop modules use two different profiles... one use sRGB and the other use ProPhoto. It sounded a little strange to me. Anyways the problem becomes extremely evident with very dark photos (black subject against black backgrounds). The library module renders the blacks very flat looking and the develop module renders richer blacks.  Exported files (JPGs) all appear as they do in the develop module. Not sure what I can do to resolve this.

• 4. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                Froat Level 1

Was this ever resolved? I have an extremely grainy picture after all noise has been removed in the develop module. I need these shots for  a wedding. What is going on? My monitor is calibrated and no photos have even been exported yet.

• 5. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                  Ilkajb Level 1

I have the same issue with a very dark grainy photo. After editing, the photo is fine in Develop, but grainy in Library. Unfortunately the exported image is also grainy, just like in Library. That means that the faulty view is Develop and not Library. This is a huge issue because you cannot edit a photo if you are not seeing the real results.

• 6. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                    Froat Level 1

Exaaaaaactly. I suppose now we wait. Wait for updates or an entirely new interface.

• 7. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                      Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried zooming into 100% (1:1) in Library module? Does doing so result in grainy effect disappearing? Does it reappear when you zoom back out to Fit view?

• 8. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                        areohbee Level 5

Ilkajb wrote:

..the faulty view is Develop and not Library.

More specifically, the faulty views are the reduced-size develop views.

Adobe may at some point improve fit/fill views.., until then - you have to do detail work (sharpening and noise reduction..) in the develop module's 1:1 view.

PS - you can also use the "blow-up window" in the detail section if you want to work on detail without zooming in.

Words of wisdom: do not oversharpen. Many of the problems like "grainy exports" come because people are trying to take unsharp photos and make them ultra sharp by cranking sharpening amount up near 100 (or even all the way to 150), with sharpening detail at 25 (or greater). That's a sure fire way to have grainy exports. Instead, try turning luminance noise reduction down (and lum.nr detail up), and sharpening amount and detail down (if high ISO, consider lowering sharpen-detail setting all the way to zero), then use sharpen masking and/or local sharpening (and noise reduction). Finally, if you are exporting at reduced sizes, make sure you use output sharpening = 'Standard' (or 'High' if you want exports extra-sharp, or 'Low' if noise control more important than sharpness..).

Rob

• 9. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                          Froat Level 1

I am very careful not to get too heavy-handed with sharpening. In fact, that is one of my biggest pet peeves apart from over saturating. I view in 1:1 and I ran noise reduction in every possible combination. I export at the highest quality and at full size. I don’t think it’s a compression issue rather the completely different color profile. Until they resolve this disparity between the two modules, I will just have to correct in PS in another completely different color profile. It’s interesting. I keep seeing this very same issue in forums with no solution. I literally cannot touch it at all in develop module in LR5 without it having these artifacts/anomalies every.time.

• 10. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                            areohbee Level 5

It's starting to seem like there is a bug in Lr which is only biting under some circumstances.

I don't have the problems some people are reporting, but hopefully Adobe is on top of this, even if not vocal (hope-hope, fingers crossed..).

It's very tough to be sure, since soooooo many reports stem from misunderstanding about what resizing does to an image, and hence what can be expected based on current state of implementation.

• 11. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                              adriandelsi Level 1

I thought I would add zoomed-in crop of a problem photo to help better illustrate the issue I am having.

Notice the differences in black on the background and on the bird's breast area.

Bird_Library.jpg

Bird_Develop.jpg

Export.jpg

Exported result closely resembles the "Library".

Any suggestions for correcting these inconsistencies?

• 12. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm, the blocked shadows in that pigeon picture almost look like the shadow rendering bug that is present in the Mac version: Lightroom 5: ICC profiles clipped shadows under OS X That shouldn't affect the windows version though.

• 13. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                                  adriandelsi Level 1

Thank you Jao vdL. Looks just like my issue. Unfortunately, I'm working on a Mac which this bug seems to be affecting.

• 14. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                                    twang2218 Level 1

I have exactly problem with Lightroom 5.6.

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.50.54 pm.png

The red is normal in Develop module, however, it's different in Library module, and I did check the export result, for both JPG and TIFF, they are as same as what they appears in Library module. Which is quite annoying, since the Develop module is the place we tuning the colour.

• 15. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                                      twang2218 Level 1

I also tried export with different colour space, here is what I got:

Compare between color space.jpg

I found when I exported with "ProPhoto RGB", the colour is identical to what I saw in Develop module. And I know Library is in 'sRGB' colour space, and Develop module in 'ProPhoto RGB' colour space. Is it the reason? So, what should I do to make the colour correct for the web?

• 16. Re: Photos in Library module and after export look different than in Development module
                                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turn on soft proofing in develop and soft proof for sRGB.