9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 12:36 PM by Chris Cox

Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin

Boggot

Hi All

Having an issue with Photoshop when run as a non administrator on domain PC's.

The program crashes as soon as it loads up with the following in the event log :

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 15.1.0.148, time stamp: 0x53d97a8f

Faulting module name: Photoshop.exe, version: 15.1.0.148, time stamp: 0x53d97a8f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000161ea23

Faulting process id: 0xdcc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfce7cd3686a3f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe

Report Id: 1376e820-3a70-11e4-8f81-3417eba365e0

I don't beleive its hardware related as the same issue occurs on multiple types of hardware in multiple suites and will run fine with an administrator.

In our setup most users on the domain are non admin as well as students so its not really a poisibility to give all users of photoshop admin rights

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
          Level 7

If it works as Admin, but not as a user - then the problem could be preferences, or bad disk permissions.

We know of one crash that occurs if you do not have permission to create or write to files in the user's home directory (and we are testing a fix for it).

• 2. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
            Boggot Level 1

Hi and thanks for the swift reply.

Myself and a colleague of mine have been looking through permissions on the disk. As far as i can tell all users have full permissions to their home directory. I also ran Process Monitor to see if i could spot any other locations a user may need rights too but to no avail.

The areas i tested included SL_Cache; renaming to .old and allowing the program to recreate the directory seemed to make no difference, even running Photoshop as a 30 day trial. giving users full access to a few directories on common files and program files didnt seem to help either. Are there many areas of either the registry or file system that need special permissions? and when you say preferences do you mean user preferences or something else? we did try deleting user settings by running with shift ctrl alt. and also with a clean profile without luck.

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for any help!

• 3. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
              Level 7

Yes, your preferences directory also needs permission to create files, as well as the application support directory.

• 4. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
                Boggot Level 1

Thanks again for the information. Just to confirm each user has full rights to their home directory under C:\Users\[Username]

Capture.PNG

Just to add. I have installed Adobe CC 1.0 on the same test machines and that works correctly without any crash.

Thanks again for any help!

• 5. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
                  Boggot Level 1

Hi All

Just for anyone else who gets the same issue we have i believe i have found the solution, in our case at least.

I ran process monitor again to see if i could spot anything odd that Photoshop was trying to do and then i found this:

pslog.PNG

it looks like Photoshop is trying to create a new file on the root of the windows directory called pslog.txt and when it fails to do this the program crashes.

So i created a script that creates this file and then give all users write access and this has stopped the crashing.

Hope this helps anybody else that finds themselves in the same situation as us trying to get the program to work in a domain environment.

• 6. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
                    Level 7

pslog.txt should go in your user directory, so something is royally hosed on your system.

(the fact that it exists at all is a bug that we just fixed)

• 7. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
                      admin-fcdyc

I can confirm that pslog.txt is created in %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% so your user profile config may have HOMEDRIVE=C: and HOMEPATH=\.

I've got the same error on photoshop on domain users because I have HOMEDRIVE=Y and HOMEPATH=\ (a networked drive).

For security reasons on my environment my users doesn't have permissions to write to y:\, only to subfolders, then photoshop cc 2014 crash.

I've created the pslog.txt on the y:\ drive with write permissions for every user and now all works with no problems.

My users are normal domain users (not domain admins, nor local admins)

• 8. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
                        danieljloughlin

We are seeing this issue as well, except Photoshop CC 2014 is trying to write into C:\Shortcuts, which is the location we redirect our desktops and start menus too.

So far the only work around has been to use group policy to deploy the log file to the location Photoshop is trying to write to and set permission so all users can write to it.

I've opened a support case with Adobe (Case number: 185963856 ) however their initial response is pathetic...."We may not consider this a bug" and they sent me the locations below which "need" read/write access, which is not true and not helpful!

%temp%

C:\Program Files\Adobe*

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe*

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe*

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe*

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared

C:\ProgramData\Adobe*

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe*

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\com.adobe.*

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Adobe*

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe*

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe*

~ Registry Keys ~

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Macromedia

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\Machine\Software\Adobe*

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe*

• 9. Re: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Crash on start-up when run as non Admin
                          Level 7

That information is pretty dated.  Several of those paths are no longer used.