15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 9:55 AM by Peter Spier

Installing fonts already purchased

mcebold

My company already owns the fonts I am missing, but I am unable to install them. Is there a step I'm missing?

• 1. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do they show up in the font menus of applications other than InDesign? If so, they are already installed. If not, you must install them.

How you should go about installing them depends on your operating system, and whether you actually have font files "in-hand."

• 2. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
            mcebold Level 1

When I open the file I need to work on in InDesign I get a Missing Fonts window with 3 fonts listed. My office already has the fonts, but we aren’t able to install them on my computer or some reason. I have been working with my IT people for about 3 days on this issue and we’re unable to resolve the issue.

They live on my supervisor’s C drive. When we save them to a flash drive or send them via email they will not install on my computer.

Melissa Cebold

Assistant Director/Communications

• 3. Re: Installing fonts already purchased

Okay, so it's not an InDesign issue. Nor is it a case of an installed font un-found on the font menu or reported as missing. You simply need the fonts installed.

If your "IT people" are unable to install fonts on your computer, then your problem is one or more of these:

1. Corrupted or platform-incompatible font files
              2. Operating system malfunction
              3. Incompetent IT personnel

If I was troubleshooting your situation, the first thing I'd try is installing other known-good fonts.

• 4. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                mcebold Level 1

How do I install the fonts? I’ve already installed several without any issues. I’m having an issue with these three:

Helvetica Neue LT Std

Helvetica Neue LT Std 77 Bold Condensed

Helvetica Neue LT Std 57 Condensed

Melissa Cebold

• 5. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                  How do I install the fonts?

That depends on your operating system.

I’ve already installed several without any issues.

Then you would install others via the same method, of course.

I’m having an issue with these three:

Helvetica Neue LT Std

Okay, but you really haven't described "the issue." You've said; "...but we aren’t able to install them on my computer or some reason." and "...they will not install on my computer." but we'd need to know exactly what happens when you try. Does the install appear successful, but the fonts still aren't installed? Or, does the installation fail visibly with an error message of some sort? Or what?

• 6. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                    mcebold Level 1

I’ve tried the same method. It’s not working. I’m on a Windows 7 Professional.

Are you able to look at what I’m trying to do so you can see my issue first hand? I’m not sure how else to explain it via email.

Thank you,

Melissa Cebold

• 7. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                      mcebold Level 1

When the fonts are being saved from the other computer the file name is adding ‘Adobe’ in front of the file name, but I don’t know if that’s the issue.

Melissa Cebold

• 8. Re: Installing fonts already purchased

I'm sorry, Melissa, but I'm not a technical support person, and I won't be able to help you through any sort of "remote desktop" arrangement. I'm just your fellow InDesign user, posting in the Adobe InDesign user-to-user forum.

Here's something you can try, perhaps with the help of your supervisor and/or IT department:

On the supervisor's computer, open the InDesign file which gives you the missing fonts message. Package the file with fonts (File > Package) and store the package-folder in a network location you can access from your computer. Now, back at your computer, find the package-folder and open the InDesign file from there. If the font files are operable, the file should open without giving you the missing fonts error. If that happens, open the Document Fonts subfolder inside the package-folder. The font files will be there. Click one to select it, then right-click on it and choose Install. What happens?

• 9. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                          MW Design Level 4

I would suspect that your IT people are copying only shortcuts to the files onto the USB drive and not the font files.

Or, does your boss use a Mac and are the font files Mac-only? That is, do they have a file extension not TTF or OTF?

• 10. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Helvetica Neue LT Std is definitely OTF -- the Std in the name tells us that.

If installing in the Windows font folder does not work (you might be right about the shortcuts as it's quite common to install fonts as shortcuts on Windows -- do it myself all the time), you can try copying the fonts to the Adobe common fonts folder, or the ID private fonts folder, but in either case you'd need the real font, non a shortcut.

• 11. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                              mcebold Level 1

If I have:

HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn

HelveticaNeueLTStd-CnO

HelveticaNeueLTStd-ThCn

HelveticaNeueLTStd-ThCnO

Should these fall under those:
                              (These are the 3 I'm missing)

Helvetica Neue LT Std

• 12. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                                mcebold Level 1

MW Design,

We're trying to figure out how to save the fonts without the "Std".

• 13. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                                  MW Design Level 4

No. You can leave the file name alone.

Something y'all are doing to obtain the font files simply is not usual/typical. If you have a ZIP program like 7Zip, try copying the fonts to the boss' desktop. Then try viewing them. In Windows, you should be able to double-click on them and they will simply display. Or, right-click on them and choose to Preview them.

In any case, make sure they are not shortcuts to the actual font files. Then ZIP them, copy that to the USB drive and unzip them on your desktop. Then select all of them, right-click on them and choose to install them.

• 14. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                                    mcebold Level 1

When InDesign says I’m missing those 3 fonts and they have numbers in them (77 & 57) should those numbers be in the font name when  go to purchase them?

• 15. Re: Installing fonts already purchased
                                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The fonts you listed above are the Condensed, Condensed Oblique (slanted, as opposed to italic which does not exist in this font), Thin Condensed and Thin Condensed Oblique styles for Helvetica Neue Lt Std.

The numbers do not appear in the font names, but will show in the font list after installation. These font files should all be around 30 kb in size, Shortcuts would be around 1 kb.

The names of the three you are missing are probably

HelveticaNeueLTStd-Roman.otf, HelveticaNeueLTStd-BdCn.otf and HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn.otf