1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 1:53 PM by Hudechrome

Potential file corruption; any way to fix?

Ste777 Level 1

Hey, Photoshop experts:

I was working on an email template mockup today in Photoshop CC 2014 (75 MB file), when I dragged a PNG from Finder onto the Canvas. At that moment, the background layer turned blank, a bunch of layers suddenly became hidden (even though their visibility is enabled in the layers panel), and a lot of elements of text that are white turned black, etc.

I've been working on the file for hours and would rather not start from scratch. Has anyone else experienced this kind of random behaviour before?

I tried turning layers on and off (no effect) and turning off Open GL. I'm crossing my fingers for some weird solution like, "your finger probably slipped and you pressed command + cap locks, which automatically breaks layered objects" or something great like that that has an easy fix... please? Ha.

Even if I open the PSD using Preview now, there's all of these weird elements in the image that aren't meant to be there. Is there a way to recover an auto-save that may have occurred even to check it against?

I'd normally share a screenshot, but due to layers not showing, it just looks like a half-done file and the content (text) is proprietary .

---

I'm running a MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card, OS X 10.9.4, solid state drive, blah blah blah.

• 1. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
          Level 5

Sorry to say, your file is hosed. 

As to whether I experienced anything like that, the answer is no, because there's no way in he!! I personally would ever drag a file onto a canvas. 

What I do is open that second file in Photoshop as well, then move the pertinent layers onto my other open image.

There is also the Place command, of course.

Maybe the method you used is authorized, but I wouldn't even try it.

• 2. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
            Ste777 Level 1

Bah, your response saddens me. In about 14 years of using Photoshop, I've never seen anything like this before--really weird.

I often drag things from Finder rather than using the place command, just for swiftness... I'm now deliberating whether I'll blame that and swear off the practice... I also had a lot of smart objects (with smart filters in an instance or two) in the file which seemed to have been super-corrupted in some places, wonder if that played a part.

What a massive bummer. Especially when I was expected to share this mockup 3 minutes ago and it was a high-profile project. Sigh.

I'll hold out 2% of hope that someone else with a magic solution happens upon this post over the weekend.

• 3. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
              Level 5

The fact that even Apple's Preview application shows distortion seals it.  That poor file is toast.

• 4. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                PeterK.. Level 3

If you ever see such corruption, DON'T save your file or it will save it like that. If you close without saving and re-open the file while still in that corrupt Photoshop session, even if the last save was not corrupted, Photoshop may still SHOW the corruption and may fool you into thinking you have already saved it like that, but that's NOT the case! At this point it's purely a video card issue and not a file issue. I found that if I close down Photoshop and restart it, re-open my file that was saved BEFORE I started seeing the corruption, it now looks fine again.

• 5. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                  Ste777 Level 1

Thanks for your replies--you're right, the file is a lost cause. And thanks, Peter, for your tip in future events.

On the plus side for others that may be experiencing this issue: I forgot about Time Machine!

I restored an earlier version of the file that wasn't corrupted. I'm not editing that version to be safe, but I've managed to use it to save me time by transferring elements to the 'new' file. It isn't as close to completion as I was Friday, but it'll save me at least 20 minutes, so that's a tiny win in all of this.

• 6. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Also try backing up in the history palette to see if you can get back to the state before the corruption started if you see it happen again...

• 7. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                      Level 5

JJMack wrote:

Also try backing up in the history palette to see if you can get back to the state before the corruption started if you see it happen again...

JJ, do you mean that the History Palette and its states are now saved with the file in the subscription versions of Photoshop? 

• 8. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                        JJMack Most Valuable Participant

No history states are not recorded they are only available while the document is open.  You can increase the number of state from Adobe defaults I do. The Written History LOG that is written is for reference use can not be use in any way by Photoshop.

• 9. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                          Level 5

That was my understanding, JJ; but my reading of your post confused me.  The OP had long closed his file and you seemed to be implying that he could still "try backing up in the history palette to see if you can get back to the state before the corruption".

I though that would be one heck of feature in the Cash Cow versions, but it would make for truly HUMONGOUS files. 

I have it set to 65 states.

• 10. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                            MrDichotomies Level 1

I'm having the same issue and it's not from dragging files onto the canvas, as I never do that. And now, in most cases, even if I immediately close the file without saving it, quit Photoshop, and restart PS, the file is still screwed up.

The solution of replacing the file from Time Machine, after restarting the computer, works, but a better solution would be if Adobe would fix this glitch.

• 11. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                              Level 5

MrDichotomies wrote:

…The solution of replacing the file from Time Machine, after restarting the computer, works, but a better solution would be if Adobe would fix this glitch.

What glitch?  You have a corrupted filed and you have no clue how it got damaged.

• 12. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                Hudechrome Level 2

I stumbled on this thread and thought it interesting, so I tried it. I'm running Win 7, so maybe it's different.

I have 2 files, identical except for White balance. Both are .psd. I opened one in Photoshop, then went to Bridge and dragged the second one over the top. It moved fine, except the second file had a big "X" across the image, corner to corner. It froze. At first, I tried a bunch of things to get it to run so I could go up the History palette to eliminate it. No dice. Nothing would move. So I decided to delete it. I got a dialog box asking me if I want to Place before closing? Really? Place? Never heard of it. So I said Yes and the "X" disappeared and now I have two layers, and also, I  now have the file as a Smart Object.

Way to go! But what is Place? I only found File>Place Embedded or Place Linked, both grayed out. So I asked Help. I found a reference saying Place could be found under File>Place.

Not on my machine.

Finally, I recreated the setup and right clicked the dragged file and Place showed up on a list, at the top.

In no case did the files become corrupted.

So what basically is Place and it's function, and would this have cured the OP's problem? If not, what did I do that's different?

• 13. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                  Level 5

Larry,

Long time no see.

Personally, I've been using computers with a GUI for three decades and I've never found a need for—or an advantage in—"dragging a file" except to move it or copy it into another folder.

As a result, this paragraph in your last post may have well been written in Chinese, Urdu or Welsh as far as as I'm concerned:

I have 2 files, identical except for White balance. Both are .psd. I opened one in Photoshop, then went to Bridge and dragged the second one over the top. It moved fine, except the second file had a big "X" across the image, corner to corner.

You dragged the second one over the top of what?  And why?

In any event, the Place command links—or embeds, as the case may be—a file into the one you're working with, as opposed to just pasting pixels.

• 14. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                    Hudechrome Level 2

Long time no see as well, Ramon. Nice to know you still post. I seldom do these days.

As to what I did, I dragged file 2 over file 1 in Photoshop, and the reason was to test the problem. And to learn something new.

As you point out, there seems to be no reason to do so, however, I drag and drop at will, many times between two disparate editors like from Bridge to DxO Pro, by dragging the file down over the DxO icon in the tray. DxO finds the Drive, folder and file, then opens it. So I decided to test it here as well.

• 15. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                      Level 5

Thanks for elaborating, Larry.

• 16. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                        MrDichotomies Level 1

This happens to multiple files, not just one. So yes, I have corrupted files and I don't know why, but since it keeps happening, under the same circumstances, that would be a glitch. But thanx anyways for your very useful contribution to the discussion.

• 17. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                          Hudechrome Level 2

Does your process differ from mine? Is it possible because it is a .png? I don't think, so long as PS will open an extension, that would'nt matter.

I have a friend with a Macbook who is proficient in PS and will try the same thing on his.

• 18. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                            MrDichotomies Level 1

Sorry, I should have quoted "station_two", as I was replying to his comment on my original comment

But in answer to your question, yes, different circumstances. I'm using .psd files and I'm not dragging files. One factor that may be related is that in all circumstances of this problem appearing, I have had both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2104 versions open at the same time. I'm using only one at a time now to see if the problem recurs.    

• 19. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                              Ste777 Level 1

Hudechrome,

I don't think that this is exactly recreatable at random. Personally, this issue happens, say, once every 100 files I work on. They're PSD files, but I have a colleague on a Windows machine that's been having this problem happen to her with her Illustrator and Indesign files too (and far more frequently).

It's hard to say what the cause of this problem is since it's not triggered by the same behaviour, it would seem. It's just an issue where the CC files seem to be too easily corruptible, as this problem is occurring for us in CC apps, but not elsewhere on our computers. A glitch, to MrDichotomies' point.

@station_two, I know you don't see the value in dragging a file personally, but as Hudechrome mentions, it's an easier way to pass along a file location and Place it on your canvas rather than navigating your directories through the formal Place command (tedious if you work on a lot of creatives and have a lot of files and folders). It automatically uses the embed function when you Place that way. The ability to drag files from your Finder to or into applications is regular behaviour for OSX and Adobe applications and doesn't necessarily seem to be the cause of this problem, it was just a precursor of the corruption for me originally.

• 20. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                Hudechrome Level 2

I used psd as well.

If not files, what are you dragging? How would I replicate this?

• 21. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                  MrDichotomies Level 1

I'm not dragging anything. I use copy and paste. And the corruption occurs both when I switch from one window to another and when I open a .psd file. For example, I have File A open in PS CC 2014. I switch to Bridge and open File B in PS CC. I copy a layer of File B, close File B, and switch to the open window of File A in PS CC 2014. Only when that window appears on my screen, the file is corrupt. Or, same situation, but when I open File B in PS CC, that file is corrupt.

As I said, I'm thinking the issue is having the two different versions of PS open at the same time, as I'm not seeing the problem otherwise, I don't think (still testing this theory).

(As to why I have both versions open at the same time, Adobe removed the "oil painting" filter from CC 2014 and I use it extensively in my personal work.)

• 22. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                    Ste777 Level 1

Hudechrome wrote:

If not files, what are you dragging? How would I replicate this?

Hudechrome, I am dragging files--image resources. I'm just saying that that's not necessarily directly correlated with corruption, that was just something that prefaced my first post that some people decided could be a contributing factor, but considering others experience this problem without dragging files onto their canvas', I would say that it isn't necessarily related.

I don't think there's a specific formula that we've determined could be used to recreate this. The only way I could guess at is to work on 50+ layered PSD files over the course of a couple of weeks, eventually it might happen to one of them while you're working on it (if you're unlucky). Or, if you're like my colleague, one in every ten or so files in Illustrator.

Typically, it happens with big files though, I think I've determined on our end. Files with lots of elements and a lot of layers. Did you find the same, MrDichotomies? The annoyance is that these are the kinds of files that are the biggest impact if corrupted, since they've often taken the longest to produce.

• 23. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

Well this conflicts with what you said and I quote from the header: "when I dragged a PNG from Finder onto the Canvas...."

• 24. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                        Hudechrome Level 2

Oops! Wrong person!

Apologies.

• 25. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                          Ste777 Level 1

Hudechrome wrote:

Well this conflicts with what you said and I quote from the header: "when I dragged a PNG from Finder onto the Canvas...."

Because that happened. It might not be the specific root cause though, for reasons I explained now at length.

MrDichotomies wrote:

As I said, I'm thinking the issue is having the two different versions of PS open at the same time, as I'm not seeing the problem otherwise, I don't think (still testing this theory).

For reference, my colleague and I are only ever working in one version, we do not have two versions of the tools opened or even installed simultaneously.

• 26. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                            Hudechrome Level 2

Ok, thanks. Looks like it will take a full scale effort. Since many users at large agencies likely do similar things, I would not be surprised that it may be more common than one thinks.

I find conflicts all too common when doing things like this, especially when two different vendor editing software are open. DxO open, Photoshop freezes, but doesn't crash. I have to use Processes to close PS. Unfortunately, it doesn't work to close DxO to unfreeze PS. Either/Or applies.

Guess who blames who here?

• 27. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                              Level 5

MrDichotomies wrote:

…in all circumstances of this problem appearing, I have had both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2104 versions open at the same time.

Whenever you have more than one instance of Photoshop open (possible only on the Mac) it is absolutely essential to have the scratch file for each of them on a completely physically separate hard drive.  Otherwise you're just confusing the heck out of Photoshop.

Needless to say, having any scratch file on your boot drive is an extremely bad habit.

• 28. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                Level 5

Ste777 wrote:

Hudechrome,

@station_two, I know you don't see the value in dragging a file personally, but as Hudechrome mentions, it's an easier way to pass along a file location and Place it on your canvas rather than navigating your directories through the formal Place command (tedious if you work on a lot of creatives and have a lot of files and folders). It automatically uses the embed function when you Place that way. The ability to drag files from your Finder to or into applications is regular behaviour for OSX and Adobe applications and doesn't necessarily seem to be the cause of this problem, it was just a precursor of the corruption for me originally.

Last point first:  I never said that dragging was the cause of any problems.  You're making that up or misconstruing my post.  What I said is that I never do it myself, so I can't comment on it.  I just never do it. Period.

First point second:  I never navigate my directories through the Place command.  Photoshop is simply my digital darkroom and I find it hard even to image when I would "Place" a different image file in a photograph.  Again, no doctrine or dogma involved here; I just have no occasion to do it.  Period.

• 29. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                  Level 5

MrDichotomies wrote:

… yes, I have corrupted files and I don't know why, but since it keeps happening, under the same circumstances…

In my previous post, I've already commented on a possible cause:

Whenever you have more than one instance of Photoshop open (possible only on the Mac) it is absolutely essential to have the scratch file for each of them on a completely physically separate hard drive.  Otherwise you're just confusing the heck out of Photoshop.

Another common cause of file corruption is working across a network, opening files off a server or saving them to a server.

This is the boilerplate text often used in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406793.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work.   It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

• 30. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                    Hudechrome Level 2

I do have my scratch drive now on C drive as it is an SSD, which does not have the problems associated with an HDD as boot drive. But certainly, having two versions of PS open with a common scratch would have to be taken into consideration with problems as outlined here. I'm even going to see if that is also why DxO and PSCC are suddenly having problems, as I seem to recall the onset approximately corresponding to switching to C for Scratch.

• 31. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                      Level 5

Hudechrome wrote:

I do have my scratch drive now on C drive as it is an SSD, which does not have the problems associated with an HDD as boot drive…

Oh!  Do you mean it has an infinite storage capacity and multiple read channels?

I've got to get me one of those asap

• 32. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                        Hudechrome Level 2

Hardly! But it doesn't need defragging nor is their a position problem vis a vis speed (the outside of the HDD is faster than the inside, prompting the use of that portion for partitioning for scratch using HDD). Now, I see no lag in processing time when I run out of ram as I frequently do now with the larger files from the D7100 and running the file as Smart Object. So far, I have over 80 G available as scratch, if I need it. Of course, I also have an HDD as secondary Scratch.

Noel has tested this concept and says it works well, and I agree.

• 33. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                          Hudechrome Level 2

Of course, if you wish, one can purchase a small SSD just for scratch, but that requires an additional SATA connection. Mine are all used up.

• 34. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                            Level 5

Larry, all my HD scratch drives are dedicated, physically separate units.

Any speed improvement after that is totally irrelevant for me.  It's not like I'm dealing with satellites or probes traveling in outer space. 

• 35. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                              gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How is your backup situation? Mac has Time Machine which does store a day or two history before you have to attach the designated TM drive.

I'm speaking of a local hard drive, the rules I suppose are far different with networked drives, but I suppose your IT manager could help you with that.

You may not get back all the work you put in, but better than starting all over.

Gene

• 36. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                                MrDichotomies Level 1

Yes, it happens with huge files with dozens of layers, or to a smaller file when I have a large file open. Definitely seems related to memory.

I just spent time having to shut down and reboot, which seems the only way to get the issue to stop (at least for a while).

New discoveries: I tried not having both PS CC 2014 and PS CC open at the same time. It still happened. So that doesn't seem to be the issue. Unless just having both versions and using them separately is the cause... Also, now noticing that the corruption can appear without switching between windows, as it was just happening when I zoomed in. Zoom in using the drag to magnify method and suddenly the background of the image goes black, and if I go back to a full image view, the same random (or at least they seem random) squares and rectangles.

I'm not working over a network.

I've been using the same drive that Photoshop is on as the scratch disk for, oh, maybe 20 years? Have never had this issue before, so if not having  a separate hard drive for the scratch disk is the issue, it's something new.  Maybe the scratch disks becoming full over time? The file I was just having problems with is 480mb; how long would it take PS top fill a 75GB scratch disk as it stored away histories?

• 37. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                                  Hudechrome Level 2

You may be having problems with the drive itself, being 20 years old. HDD's (or for that matter SSD's) don't last forever and perhaps you have bad sectors on that disk.

If it's 20 years old, you may not be able to replace it easily, assuming it's a PATA drive. I don't know the details about Mac so this is as far as I can go. Have it checked by someone who does.

You have had this computer since 1994?

• 38. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                                    MrDichotomies Level 1

Sorry, different drives, same working system. Different computers, but Photoshop and scratch disk on same drive on each computer. Current iMac isn't even two years old. Pretty sure current Photoshop wouldn't run on the first Mac I had, probably wouldn't even fit on the hard drive. And vice versa, pretty sure the first version of Photoshop I used wouldn't run on my current Mac. lol

Also, would be really hard to install...

photoshopdisk.jpg

• 39. Re: Potential file corruption; any way to fix?
                                                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

Didn't think so, but I had to ask!

Now, when you say Photoshop and scratch disk on same drive each computer, are you saying that the scratch file Photoshop builds is on the boot drive with the OS and program? If so, that may indeed be contributing to the problem. Complicating things would be when you also run out of scratch or if the scratch file builds so far as to be a significant part of the boot drive. Assuming you have additional SATA ports I would immediately obtain a spare drive, install it (even if you only can hang it outside the box temporarily) and set it as the scratch. Proceed to run your program and watch for the same problem to occur.

1 2 Previous Next