5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 2:31 PM by A.T. Romano

manipulating slides

PuppyDogMom Level 1

I'm working with Premiere Elements 11 and digital slides, not video (on an iMac). Is there a way to manipulate a slide so that I can have it rotating on a diagonal from one edge of the slide to the other? Question might not be clearly stated. Sorry.

• 1. Re: manipulating slides
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Puppy

Premiere Elements 11 Mac

Not sure what you mean by digital slide....is that a still image with jpeg format or something else?

Also, not sure I am focused in on the effect that you seek, however, for now, focusing in on the word rotating....

Highlight/select the imported still on the Timeline, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ Motion Panel expanded.

In about the middle of the Motion Panel expanded is a Rotation option whose properties you can adjust and/or keyframe.

We can fine tune the reply according to the additional clarifying information that you supply for what you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: manipulating slides
            PuppyDogMom Level 1

You're right...digital stills. Sorry.

Did exactly as you said and found the option to rotate. What I would like to do is have the jpg start at one point at the beginning of the frame and then end at another point. Would also like occasionally to zoom in or out on a frame. When I manipulate the rotation, the photo from the beginning to the end of the frame does not move. It is just in that new rotated position. I'm looking to control some motion within the frame. Does that make any sense?

• 3. Re: manipulating slides
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Puppy

From your description, you want to "keyframe" the Motion Scale and Motion Position properties of the file and not Rotate...although keyframing of the Rotation property is doable. There are several ways in Premiere Elements to keyframe properties, that is, to vary the property across the clip rather than have the property apply uniformly across the clip.

1. Setting keyframes at the TImeline Level, "rubberband"

2. In Motion Panel expanded, using Toggle Animation

3. Using Presets (fx Effects/Presets/and one of the PiPs motion presets)

Please review the following,

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Changing effect properties

look at the fx Effects/Presets and some of the 25 or 40% PiP motion presets, and then we can go into the details of

the keyframing via 1 and 2 above. Also, please clarify how you thought that Rotation was part of this...did you envision a spin (one or more times) as the picture moved from one spot to another?

The following is probably more than you want to know but it will give you an idea of what can be done with those PiP presets.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: PiP Presets Animated Photos Effect

Looking forward to your preliminary results and follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: manipulating slides
                PuppyDogMom Level 1

Thank you, ATR. This gives me more information. The PIP options are getting much closer to what I was looking for. I think I need to do some playing with this for awhile. I am used to working with Vegas Movie Studio (Sony product) and that gave me much more independent control over the motion of a picture than what it appears that I can do here. Although perhaps I have just not dug deep enough into the program. Vegas does not make a version for the iMac so I'm having to re-learn everything and that learning curve seems pretty steep for me.

Yes, I am looking for something like a "spin" although perhaps a 1/4 spin would be more accurate. Trying to move a newspaper headline from one side to the middle throughout the duration of the keyframe (I think I'm using that work correctly) and I want that transition to be smooth and precise. Perhaps I won't have the independent control that I'd like to have and will just work with the presets.

I'll keep working with your suggestions. You've been very helpful. I'm sure there's a lot more that I can learn from your help.

Emily

• 5. Re: manipulating slides
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Emily,

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if your "spin" really is accomplished with a "turn". In that case, we might target the Motion Position properties and keyframing it rather than keyframing the Rotation property in the Motion Panel expanded.

Do you have a generic screenshot that you could post showing the starting position of your newspaper headline. The more that you describe of what you want to do makes me envision "crawling" titles effect that you might see at the bottom of a TV newscast. If that is correct, the program's Titler could be used.

What is this newspaper headline - a clip art of sorts of a newspaper headline from a newspaper or a text title that you created in Photoshop/Photoshop Elements or the Premiere Elements Titler?

Please consider. If any problems, I will try to create a few examples of what I think that you are describing for your workflow effect.

Thanks.

ATR