19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 4:51 PM by A.T. Romano

PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner

kiwisenior Level 1

I have a Liteon Blu Ray burner which PrE 12 does not detect when I try and burn a BD disc. However if I select DVD to burn a disc PrE does detect the same burner. I never had this issue in previous versions of PrE.

Any suggestions?

Russell

• 1. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

Unfortunately Premiere Elements (any version) does not have a burn to folder for Blu-ray.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update, using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

Difficult problem which may force you into looking at an external Blu-ray burner for your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 burn to Blu-ray unless you

want to try to replace the Liteon internal for another brand/model internal Blu-ray burner. Can you borrow an external Blu-ray burner from an associate to determine if that route will work for you?

But, let us try two approaches to determine if either will have any impact on this situation....

1. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If "1" does not work, then let us go to

a. Deactivation via Help Menu/Sign Out of an opened project. Close out of there and then....

b. Uninstall via the usual Control Panel/Programs route

c. free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls

d. reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

3. Usual drill...

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed

b. Running program from User Account with Administrative Privileges and Run As Administrator applied to desktop icon of the program

Please review and consider and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
            kiwisenior Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

No joy with option 1, so went with full uninstall, ccleaner and reinstall. Now I have a new problem.

PrE12 won't start. I get an Error: 1 message.

I also get the following message. CAHeadless has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\CAHeadless.cpp.683]

What now ATR?

• 3. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kiwisenior

How far do you get with the Premiere Elements 12 installation - do you get to the Sign In dialog?

If so, can you get beyond that to the Premiere Elements 12 Welcome Screen where you cannot load the program? Or some other?

When does the CAHeadless message enter the scenario?

ATR

• 4. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                kiwisenior Level 1

The message I get is when I double click on the shortcut to Adobe Premier Elements12.exe, is titled "Configuration Error - Please uninstall and reinstall. Error Code: 1" I have now done this 3 times with the same result. The CAHeadless message follows the Config error message.

I have now tried to start PrE12 by going into its folder and clicking on Adobe Premier Elements.exe and this now opes the application directly (following the Sign In dialog) rather than through the Welcome Screen. Having opened it I still cannot detect a burner if I select Blu Ray or AVHCD.

I have version 12.1 and run under Win 7 Pro 64bit. I never had this issue with PrE10, so what has changed? Do other apps such as Nero have any impact?

Russell

• 5. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

Thank for taking a look at the variables in this "Media Is Not Preset" issue.

You wrote

Do other apps such as Nero have any impact?

That is a good question. For years, Nero has been notorious for competition for the burner drivers.

If you have shown that Premiere Elements 12 and 10 burned to Blu-ray in the exact same computer environment with Nero installed have

the "Media Is Not Preset" issue, then it might be interesting to see what happens to that issue when Nero is removed

(regular uninstall+some Nero Clean Tool intervention.) But, Nero is working for you now, so I am not sure if you want

to disturb the status quo to advance this discovery process.

I have Nero 9 (OEM) on my Windows 7 64 bit computer along with Premiere Elements 4 through 12 and have no problems with burn to Blu-ray.

ATR

• 6. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                    kiwisenior Level 1

I have already tried the option of uninstalling Nero 10 although I didn't use the Clean up Tool other than CCleaner.. This made no difference to the issue. I have now reinstalled Nero.

You and obviously many others do not have this issue so my question remains - Why under PrE10 my Liteon BD Burner was detected for Blu Ray and AVHCD settings but not in PrE12, yet in PrE12 it does detect it if I select the DVD output? This is confusing.

If I am correct you are now suggesting that the Liteon Burner is the issue and I may have to replace it. But why?

Also what happened to my reinstall issue and how do I rectify this?

Thanks again

Russell

• 7. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

I thought you were beyond opening the program when I saw

I have now tried to start PrE12 by going into its folder and clicking on Adobe Premier Elements.exe and this now opes the application directly (following the Sign In dialog) rather than through the Welcome Screen. Having opened it I still cannot detect a burner if I select Blu Ray or AVHCD.

You can always create a desktop shortcut for the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and use that to open the program to the workspaces, bypassing the Welcome Screen.

If you are intent on working through the Welcome Screen, what you might explore is opening the program/project via the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. When in the workspace, go to Help Menu/Welcome Screen and determine if you can open the Welcome Screen that way. If you can, go to the Welcome Screen settings icon at the top right of the Welcome Screen and set according....

On Start Always launch

Welcome Screen

or

Organizer

or

Video Editor

Is any of that doable under the circumstances?

Now that you know you can get into the Premiere Elements 12 Editor using Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, please click on the Expert workspace/Organizer Tab (at bottom of workspace). Does the Elements Organizer open or crash? More on that after your result.

You wrote

If I am correct you are now suggesting that the Liteon Burner is the issue and I may have to replace it. But why?

Yes, I know that you have gotten burn to Blu-ray when the Liteon Burner was in a different computer environment. Right now I am

focusing on the Liteon Burner in computer 1 and its environment.

Based on history on this matter, an external Blu-ray burner has been the answer to an internal Blu-ray burner which has problem

a. No burner detected under burn dialog's Burner Location

and/or

b. Status = Media Not Detected

for burn to AVCHD on DVD and/or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

ATR

• 8. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                        kiwisenior Level 1

Organiser does not open by clicking on the icon at bottom of workspace. Selecting Welcome Screen in the Help Menu creates the same Configuration error message I have been getting earlier. There is an obvious disconnect between the two.Should I also reinstall Photoshop Elements / Organiser and if so what impact will that have on my media tags etc?

Interestingly Nero will detect the BD Burner, Windows identifies it in Device manager as an iHBS212 with latest driver and functioning correctly, but here's the interesting bit, Liteon have a firmware utility called "SmartPack" which works with all Liteon Optical drives, and it couldn't detect any drive.

• 9. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 are standalone products, each coming with Elements Organizer 12. When they are installed on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer 12 catalog.

Right now I am "thinking", the CAHeadless.cpp.683 is more often than not seen in Photoshop Elements and its Elements Organizer and the troubleshooting in that case aimed at the Elements Organizer. I am "speculating" that maybe there was a problem in the Elements Organizer 12 installation of your Premiere Elements 12 installation. At this time, I am not too keen on getting a Photoshop Elements 12 and its Elements Organizer 12 involved in this.

Think about

1. Premiere Elements 12 uninstall Control Panel route, free ccleaner run through.

2. Then Local Disk \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe and in the Adobe Folder find the OOBE Folder.

3. Rename the OOBE Folder to OLDOOBE. Close out of there.

4. Reinstall your Premiere Elements 12 with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

On the Elements Organizer 12 front, our toolbox can contain

a. deleting the Elements Organizer 12 settings file (psa.prf)

Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\12.0\Organizer\ and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file which you delete or you rename to psa.prfOLD to disable.

b. creating a new catalog (File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager

c. Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis and disabling all the options under MediaAnalysis

Just some ideas for now.

ATR

• 10. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                            kiwisenior Level 1

Looking at your first suggestion at this stage, there is no OOBE Folder in the location you provided. What does this mean?

• 11. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

You are working on Windows 7 64 bit. Is that correct?

If so, do you work with the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path cited?

ATR

• 12. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                kiwisenior Level 1

Yes and yes.

I have just tried startingPhotoshop and I don't get to the Welcome screen as I get a message that it can't start as there are some missing files. Have restored Windows to the day before I started my first uninstall of PrE but that didn't help.

I will now try a reinstall of PSE as well and that should fix it the CAHeadless issue I believe. I have copied My Catalog folder to Desktop and hope that I can add this back after the reinstall and that will overcome my fear of losing all my tag info??

• 13. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

Keeping a positive thought, but guarded...

Did you check the Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application for any errors or Information there that may relate to one of your events at this time?

ATR

• 14. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                    kiwisenior Level 1

In the last 24 hours I had the following errors which could be relevant (I have ignored those that are not)

7 x VDS Basic Provider error

1923 x CDROM has a bad block

1 x atapi controller error

4 x Application errors - PrE.exe fault in Windows\System\kernelbase.dll

• 15. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Russell

I need to call it a day.

I will check into those errors in the morning.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 16. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                        kiwisenior Level 1

I certainly appreciate your attention to these issues. I can now say that after reinstalling both PrE12 and PSE12 they are running correctly with no error messages.

Just have the original issue where PrE12 cannot detect my optical drive when selecting HD outputs.

• 17. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kiwisenior

Great news of your progress with the installs, but sorry to learn that the Media Not Present still exists for your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 burn to Blu-ray disc on computer 1.

Any chance of you borrowing, if not buying, an external Blu-ray burner to determine if it and Premiere Elements 12/12.1 burn to Blu-ray will work for you on computer 1?

I am starting my day on the late side...lots of catching up to do.

But, I will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follows up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 18. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                            kiwisenior Level 1

I have spent some time reviewing other similar issues to mine and found a recommendation to the following Microsoft link which has partially solved my problem Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs

By changing the registry settings (Resolution 3) I can now burn to both Blu Ray and AVCHD as the media device is now recognized, however I can no longer burn to DVD as the device is not detected (the reverse of before).

I am reluctant to spend more money on purchasing an external USB burner (which may not necessarily solve the problem) nor do I want to have to use 3rd party burning software such as Nero. I believe it is Adobe's responsibility to ensure that PrE12 will match its competitors and provide a solution. I also read somewhere that a fix is being worked on in a future update, not sure if this is correct. Until I resolved my immediate concern, I was prepared to revert back to PrE10 and ask for a refund, but now I am happy to wait for a fix so that I can burn to both DVD and BD.

Thanks for your patience and help so far.

• 19. Re: PRE 12 does not detect my BD burner
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

kiwisenior

Interesting reply.

I am aware the technique for refreshing DVD drivers, but have never used it for burn to Blu-ray issues with a Blu-ray DVD/CD, not DVD/CD, drive was involved.

CD, DVD drive not recognized after Adobe application install | Windows

In reflection, apparently your results supported me not going there for Blu-ray.

I hope you could reverse the situation that you created unless the situation that you created is a priority workaround.

As for the matter. of

I also read somewhere that a fix is being worked on in a future update, not sure if this is correct.

Based on history, it is highly unlikely that Adobe will update a non current version which version 12 will soon be. But, we are not Adobe, and that type of intent and carry out question should be answered only by Adobe.

Caution, when you wrote

Until I resolved my immediate concern, I was prepared to revert back to PrE10 and ask for a refund, but now I am happy to wait for a fix so that I can burn to both DVD and BD.

That type of thinking may backfire on you. If you purchased from Adobe, refund is within 30 days of purchase. If you purchased from other than Adobe direct, then you deal with the reseller according to the reseller's return policy. You may wait yourself out of a refund opportunity and get into other problems when you relate the details of how Premiere Elements 12 burn to Blu-ray et al works on your computer 2 but not 1.

At this point, please consider what is in your best interests of your projects and your time.

ATR