2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2014 3:34 AM by escaladieu

Nikon Adobe RGB vs Lightroom Adobe RGB - help me out

escaladieu

As a part of a general color management makeover on my system I've been looking at the softproffing in lightroom. I'm puzzled by the fact that a D800 RAW shot in Adobe RGB (i.e. the color space on the camera is set to Adobe RGB ) shows out of Gamut in Lightroom with a destination color space of Adobe RGB. The picture control in LR is set to that set on the Camera - Neutral. I'm also puzzled by the fact that the Monitor  (also set to Adobe RGB and profiled for Adobe RGB ) shows Gamut warnings as well under soft proofing. I was expecting that a RAW shot in Adobe RGB would not show gamut warnings for the same color space set as a destination.

Where am I going wrong ?

• 1. Re: Nikon Adobe RGB vs Lightroom Adobe RGB - help me out
          DdeGannes Level 5

The color space you have set on the camera has no effect on the raw file that will only affect the jpeg file created by the camera and also the embedded thumbnail. You have to apply the Adobe RGB color space when you export a rendered jpeg or tiff file from Lightroom. The option is chosen in the export dialog box. see the screen capture "file settings".

In addition "Adobe RGB " is a working color space and not a "Monitor Profile" you need to use a hardware device like i1 Eye One to create an appropriate monitor profile.Image00285.jpg

• 2. Re: Nikon Adobe RGB vs Lightroom Adobe RGB - help me out
            escaladieu Level 1

"The color space you have set on the camera has no effect on the raw file that will only affect the jpeg file created by the camera and also the embedded thumbnail."

Ah ! that explains it ! So in lightroom the raw file is in the ProPhoto space and in some cases will exceed the Monitor Gamut. I guess I can test this by shooting a test JPG with Adobe RGB specified & import it to Lightroom to see if the Monitor Gamut is exceeded.

"In addition "Adobe RGB " is a working color space and not a "Monitor Profile" you need to use a hardware device like i1 Eye One to create an appropriate monitor profile."

Thanks, I'm aware of this - I have in fact produced a monitor profile using a Spyder 4 - the Monitor is supposed to cater for Adobe RGB & I have profiled it as such. My confusion arose from thinking that the Nikon would apply the Adobe RGB space to the RAW file.

Many thanks for clearing this up.

J