3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2014 7:27 AM by MW Design

How to make numbered list title placed below the number

ananggadipa Level 1

Hi, this is what I want to try to achieve:

Photo 13-09-14 14.29.42.jpg

How can I do that by paragraph style?

• 1. Re: How to make numbered list title placed below the number
          Migintosh Level 4

I'm using CS5.5, so this may work differently in newer versions. I can't find a way to have it look the way you want automatically. There is a way to insert a tab into the space between the number and the beginning of the text, but I don't see a way to insert a line break. Maybe someone else can tell you how.

If you want, you can do it in a second step with Find/Change. Just enter ^p in the Find field (to look for paragraph returns) and ^p^n in the Change To field (a paragraph return followed by a line break). It will turn this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 3.50.12 AM.png

…into this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 3.50.25 AM.png

Please also notice that it didn't do the first item, because it was not preceded by a paragraph return. You will have to do that one manually by placing the cursor before the first character and using Shift Return. Be careful that you only convert the returns in the list (and not your whole document) by using the Change or Change/Find buttons, and not the Change All.

• 2. Re: How to make numbered list title placed below the number
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Might be better to do this with GREP...

Search for ^. with the find format set for the numbered list's paragraph style, then change to \n$0 and only the numbered paragraphs will change, and you won't need to do anything manually.

• 3. Re: How to make numbered list title placed below the number
              MW Design Level 4

Personally, I would do this in two different paragraph styles.