19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 7:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Incompatible Display driver.

Charles26

I am not able to open up a new project in Adobe Premiere Elements 12.  When I try I get  "We have detected and incompatible display driver. To get a better and a faster play back performance, please update your display driver."  I have updated my drivers, uninstalled and re-installed premiere, installed with firewall and anti-virus off, and deleted the bad.txt file.  My Computer meets the system requirements.  What else can I do to get Premiere to work?

• 1. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

charles26

If you are getting that display card error message then the video card/graphics card that your computer uses is our target.

1. How many video cards/graphics cards does your computer use? One or two? Please double check/verify that information Device Manager/Display Adapters.

2. Assuming one card and that it is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card of the manufacturer of the computer, then we are going to delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

For now I am assuming that your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that  you delete. That Premiere Elements Folder probably has some folders besides the BadDrivers.txt file for 12. You only want the BadDrivers.txt file for 12 and nothing in those folders in the Premiere Elements Folder even if one of the folder is named 12.0.

BadDriverstxt.JPG

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
            Charles26 Level 1

ATR,

I have two graphics cards: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and Radeon (TM) HD 7690M.  I have a windows 7 OS.

I followed your intructions and deleted the Bad Drivers.txt fand tried starting a new project in Premiere and right when I did that the BadDriver.txt file immediately came back and the same error message showed up. What else can I do?

• 3. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles26

Thanks for the reply.

There is a lot of history on 2 video cards/graphics cards for the same computer being at the core of the type of problem that you are encountering.

Can you disable the Inter HD Graphics card and just go with the Radeon?

ATR

• 4. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                Charles26 Level 1

I think it is a problem with the two graphics cards but when I try to disable the Intel graphics card my computer crashes and the blue screen comes up. I am disabling it through device manager. Is there another way for my to disable it without crashing my computer?

• 5. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles26

Is your Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit on a HP computer?

If so, it might be best to contact HP to determine if the computer can run with just the Radeon card.

Is your computer a laptop? If so, have you looked at switching the power option from Balanced to High Performance? Does that make

any kind of a difference in the situation?

Another thought might be to contact AMD Radeon to find out if it will give you some input on video card/graphics card setup for your computer.

Disabling a video card/graphics card in Device Manager/Display Adapters/ is the safest way that I have ever used to disable a video card/graphics card.

Please let us know the outcome. I will think about this some more. I am not sure if disabling the Radeon and going with just the Intel might be the answer?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                    Charles26 Level 1

Yes my Premiere is 64 bit on an HP Computer.  So I tried disabling my graphics cards again and it worked this time. The screen looks terrible when i do it but I am able to open a new project. After I did that I tried turning on the graphics card again with my new project open and it worked.  So it looks like for now I am going to have to follow that process to open a new project. Its a very round about way of doing it but at least it is working now. 

I haven't been able to change the power option to "high performance". When I try and click high performance and then "apply" it will go immediately back to "not assigned". Is there anything else I can do?

• 7. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles26

Thanks for the reply.

What video card/graphics card did you disable. Just the Radeon? If not, please try disabling just the Radeon and going with just the Intel Graphics.

But, the following HP documents may suggest some display cards troubleshooting

Graphic Card Issue (Radeon (TM) HD 7690M TX) - HP Support Forum - 3318477

Re: [Incompatibility Issue] Intel HD Graphics 4000 & AMD Rad... - HP Support Forum - 2540769

If other than that, I think your most reliable input would come from HP on how to deal with those two video cards/graphics cards which seem to be common the computers that it manufactures.

Please determine if the following HP document helps with setting the power option.

Managing Power Options (Windows 7 and Vista) | HP® Support

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                        Kayak999

I have this exact same issue with Adobe Premiere Elements 12 that I purchased today.  I have spent the last three hours trying to figure it out.  HP support refers me to Adobe and Adobe support refers me to this forum.

I have an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 (64 bit) with two display drivers:  Intel HD Graphics Family and Radeon HD 7470M.  I have disabled each separately, but each time the screen gos totally out of alignment and it is not usable, so both are enabeled.

I can not locate a baddrivers.txt file anywhere, and have looked in the Premiere Elements folder and searched for it.

I have found many forums discussing this very issue, but there is never a solid answer.  HAs anyone figured out some fairly simple steps to get the software to work?

Thanks for any help.

• 9. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kayak999

If Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, you will find detailed instructions for finding the BadDrivers.txt file and deleting it.

Do you have the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active? Can you find Folder Options in Windows 7 64 bit? If not,

I will post screenshot to help you locate it.

Premiere Elements has not been been faring well with the two video cards/graphics cards scheme. But, you should be

able to disable the Radeon card and just work with the Intel built in card. Did not HP suggest how to do that? Please see links

posted in post numbered 7 of this thread.

What particular Windows Theme are you using for your Windows 7 64 bit computer? If the Windows Basic or High Contrast Theme

switch to the Aero Theme Windows 7.

What is the basic problem - are you greeted with a Display Card Error Message and, if so, what video card does it mention?

I realize that you wrote

I have this exact same issue with Adobe Premiere Elements 12 that I purchased today

but I do not want to take anything for granted and just would like you describe the details of your particular issue.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                            Kayak999 Level 1

Thanks so much for trying to help.  This has been frustrating, and I appreciate your help.

Here's my latest actions:

1.  changed to Aero Windows 7 Theme

2.  confirmed Show hidden files and folders in the control panel, still can not locate BadDrivers.txt

3.  unfortunately HP charges $99 for support, so I tried to ask, but the response was to transfer me to support sales

4.  reviewed post #7 above but not able to follow the entire set of directions, will need to invest somemore time in trying to understand all this

5.  the error message appears when I click to open the Adobe Premiere application.  A pop-up appears that read: "we have detected an incompatible display driver" but does not reference anythign specific. It prevents me from doing anything.

Wish I had just a little better working knowledge of computers.  Thanks for your help.

• 11. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

kayak999

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that the answer is in those video cards/graphics cards. I would like to see the BadDrivers.txt file deleted just to get that factored in or out.

How far do you get in the path that I cited to get to it. Is there any chance that you are missing Program Data and are going to Program Files or

Program Files (x86) to start the path?

We will try to troubleshoot your issue to a successful conclusion, but keep a safety net

1. If you purchased direct from Adobe, you can get your money back within 30 days of purchase (that is the last that I heard on that)

and

2. There is a new version of the program expected to be released by Adobe any day now

So, plan your strategy accordingly.

Please give the BadDrivers.txt file another search.

Please re-read the HP documents from its forum. You might consider posting in its forum regarding what seems to be a popular HP video card/graphic card setup.

We could do an uninstall, free ccleaner run through, followed by disabling Radeon, leaving Intel intact, restarting the computer, and then reinstalling Premiere Elements with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

But, let us see how far we get with the thoughts at the beginning of this post.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                giovannim7647706

I have the same problem today.

HP Pavilion
                                Windows 8.1
                                INTEL HD Graphics 3.0.0 Build 9.17.10.2932

tried to update it but it's the latest version.

• 13. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

giovannim

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit computer)?

Are you getting that display card error even before you import video into the project or are you getting just by opening the

program or one of its projects?

If the message is not associated with the source media, then next step would be deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

Have you done that as described in my post numbered 1? What is described there is for version 12. But it is that

same BadDrivers.txt file in that exact same location which would be your target if you have version 13 instead of 12.

When you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters, what video card/graphics card do you see listed there, only the Intel? Or

does the computer use more than 1 video card/graphics card?

Please supply more details. We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                    giovannim7647706 Level 1

version 10

i got the message upon opening it Then my cpu slowed down.

FFollowed the directions but no avail. No baddrivers file. I only have the Intel hd graphics video driver. Im gonna probably either take it to the computer shop to install a new video driver or buy A new computer.

• 15. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                      giovannim7647706 Level 1

I used Premiere Ekements10 for three years. Worked fine but today, I got that message despite my drivers are up to date.

• 16. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

giovannim

Thanks for the reply. Before you go to the computer shop for a new video card/graphics card, please find the BadDrivers.txt file. It is there.

And, its deletion in cases such as yours has proven a life saver to many with up to date drivers and still display errors. It is worth a try.

Your computer options may be set so that you have hidden files, folders, and drives.

Please check that possibility.

In Windows 8.1, you need first to get to File Explorer. You can do that with the computer keyboard shortcut Windows Key+x.

When the File Explorer opens, click on its View Tab.

In the View Tab area, go to Options on the upper far right.

Click on Options to bring up the Folder Options dialog.

In the Folder Options/View Tab, scroll down to the option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives and make sure that it is selected.

It is good that you did not have a NVIDIA GeForce card. Premiere Elements 10 and NIVIDA GeForce have serious problems. So, please do

not consider a NVIDIA GeForce replacement if you decide to change cards to NVIDIA GeForce and still want to use Premiere Elements 10.

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                          giovannim7647706 Level 1

I tried to find it. No luck.

Guess I am gonna take the computer to the computer shop.

• 18. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                            giovannim7647706 Level 1

EDIT: I FOUND IT! YES!! I deleted it! Its now working!!!

• 19. Re: Incompatible Display driver.
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

giovannim

Major applauding here on your success. Great news. Great job of staying with and finding the BadDrivers.txt file to delete.

I guess you can tell how excited I am about your news.

Thanks for the follow up which is appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR