6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 1:57 PM by dejahmillena

Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...

Silverchroma Level 1

For some reason my photoshop has started acting up. When I open any tiff files now it won't let me crop it until I unlock the layer. When I unlock the layer it will let me crop it once, but no further. After selecting all I used to be able to nudge in a direction and click crop to crop it... Also it won't let me do the Auto Tone or other commands if the layer is locked...

It used to be that all the photo's used to be imported without being locked and I used to be able to crop and auto tone and everything as I pleased. I don't know what's happened....

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't know what's happened....

Neither do we. You have not provided any system information or other details like color modes, color management settings and whatnot. Either way, the PS forum is the proper place to ask such questions - assuming you actually care to provide some meaningful information.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...
            Silverchroma Level 1

I don't know what to provide? It was working fine before... It didn't use to lock the layer when opening any file, and now it does, it used to let me crop normally, now it won't let me crop at all. Some of the settings got messed up while I was working on a project earlier yesterday. It was a project where I was taking out people from one scene and putting them in another. I played around with layers and other settings. Maybe I hit a wrong command or something but now it defaulted to locking all layers all the time and not letting me do levels or any other things until I unlock every single photo when opening and after that it STILL won't let me crop. When I select and crop it stays the same, doesn't crop the rest of the photo out.

Also when I open it up, it opens it in Layers now, it used to open it in the History tab. All of this is extremely annoying and it happens both in PS 2014 and CC 64 Bit

Is there a way to export a log to all changes I have made, or revert to the way it was before yesterday?

Don't know if it's relevant but I am using a Sony Vaio Z with 97% Adobe RGB on the LED screen, it has 8gb of ram, full quad core i7 t 2.10GHZ, Win 7 64 bit...I don't know how to extract photoshop setting or profiles to show you....

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...
              Silverchroma Level 1

I followed these instructions and everything seems to be back to normal:

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard short cut:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
              • 4. Re: Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...
                coleb97723510 Level 1

3 years later I was having the exact same problem - crop option disappeared and was grayed out in image section.  The Alt Ctrl Shift fix worked for me.  Mylenium comes off like a huge whiner.  There wasn't any system information to be provided the crop option seemed to be flat out glitched; either try to be helpful or get off your high horse.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...
                  RyanBlax Level 1

My crop tool and a few other functions disappeared. This post led me to believe it was a workspace issue, which I reset and all the tools became available once more.

I know it's an old post, but whoever this "MVP" Mylenium guy is... what a pathetic joke and WHATNOT. YOU are the one who does not care to provide meaningful information.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC Acting Up - Won't let me crop - auto tone, etc...
                    dejahmillena Level 1

Honestly, to get around this press the icon in the top left corner, hold it and within those drop-down features, you'll see crop 5 in. x 4 in. , 4 in. x 5 in. etc. Choose one and then change the dimensions in the top bar by typing in a number. Hopefully, this makes sense, I'm willing to elaborate further.