12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2014 2:23 PM by station_two

Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.

realgarden

Just started using cc on a 27" solid state mac with a second 17" dell monitor and new to both mac and cc (although been on cs4 for many years previously) The main window with the tools has opened up with the topmost bar and side bar with the tools on it - OFF SCREEN, and I cannot drag it back onto the centre of the screen. Quitting, even re starting the mac does not do anything to change this. Also have had this problem with new files - dragged into position where they had to be quit as could not re drag them - but this is the main cc window. It is not appearing on my second screen either.

• 1. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Surly the Mac Unix operating system must have features to move and size windows that are partly off screen even Windows has features like that. Unix is older then Windows.

• 2. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
            realgarden Level 1

Ive turned off the Application window in the windows menu which has solved it - although I'm not sure what the role of an applicatio window is. I now have all floating windows without one main window, not sure what the knock ons of this will be?

• 3. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
              Level 5

You mean Application Frame, not "window".

Ironically enough, that hated feature (hated by dyed-in-the-wool Mac users), was put in there by Adobe for the benefit of recent Windows-to-Mac converts. 

• 4. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                realgarden Level 1

Ok application frame......I guess using windows you never noticed it because it was just like a backdrop to what ever you were working on. Now I have my screensaver as a backdrop to whatever frames I have open, which I guess is workable.

• 5. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                  Level 5

There's no way, no how you can "have (your) screensaver as a backdrop to whatever frames[sic] (you) have open".

When the screensaver runs, you cannot see anything else you may have open.

…and this time you do mean windows, not "frames".  What you open is a window.  The only thing called frame is that abominable Application Frame, which surrounds the open window in order to hide what's behind it.

• 6. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                    realgarden Level 1

Having just moved to mac from windows obviously I have no idea what the difference between a window and a frame is, I would have thought this was obvious. Also maybe I'm talking about a wallpaper rather than a screen saver as being the backdrop to photoshop in the absence of this App frame thing - screen saver/wall paper....another thing I just don't concern myself with - something that is just there and really I never gave a thought to what the hell it is called.

I don't wish to sound rude but are your replies intended to help or just sound pedantic? If you wanted to help you tell me what the Application Frame is or was meant to be and how it is different from a window. So just to clarify - if I open a file with an icon in it, to pull into a design this opens in a 'window'?

I had a nightmare opening new windows, dragging them off the main bar (where all newly opened windows open as what looks like a tab - whatever the 'proper' name for that bar is) so they were a separate 'floating window', then as soon as you click back onto the main design window they disappear, not just behind the active window but right behind the whole photoshop window/app frame or whatever....

• 7. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                      Level 5

One step at a time:

On the Mac, there have always been windows.  That's where Bill Gates got the name when he presented Windows to the MS DOS world of PCs.

The term frame came up for the first (and perhaps only) time when Adobe came up with the hideous Application Frame for the benefit of recent Windows-to-Mac switchers.

A window is different from such an idiosyncratic invention as the Adobe "frame" mainly because the frame covers the whole monitor space, whereas a window can be any size and lets you see what's behind and around it, even in other applications you may have open.

Anything you open is a window.  Only the darned Adobe-invented "Application Frame" is called that.  It's as anti-Mac as it gets.

"Wallpaper" is not a Mac term either.  It's simply called The Desktop, and you can change it in System Preferences, where you can also manage the Screen Saver:

Apple  menu > System Preferences > Desktop & Screensavers

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 11.52.06 AM.png

Finally:

realgarden wrote:

…I don't wish to sound rude but are your replies intended to help or just sound pedantic?…

"I don't wish to be rude" either, so I'll reply in kind:

Are you now deliberately setting out to be a complete jerk?  If so, you have succeeded magnificently. 

I am out of here now.

==================================

Offensive and insulting comment deleted by moderator. Please abide by the community guidelines. And for the record, couching your insult in creative terminology doesn't suffice.

• 8. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                        realgarden Level 1

haha.

Thanks for actually providing some helpful info in your last reply.

I'll report your abusive comments to the adobe folks and hope they may be able to help you manage to resolve your life issues for yours and your loved ones sakes. ciao.

• 9. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                          Level 5

Good.  I'll report your abusive insults too,

• 10. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                            Level 5

…and I'm not in the least concerned about "the Adobe folks".  They always do their job as they see fit, and I gain nothing by being here other than the satisfaction of helping to other users here as I was helped when I first joined over 8 years ago..

You proved yourself to be a very petty and insignificant little person, beside a most inexperienced Mac user.

• 11. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                              realgarden Level 1

Wow. This is amazing....my first experience of this forum.

In your first couple of posts you said nothing helpful. After I prompted you - you did provide some good info, which I acknowledged and am grateful for.

Your comments about whether I was correctly naming a window or a frame whilst referring to a 'hideous application frame' didn't help me at all. How could I have known anything about this 'frame' business - being new to mac? The way you eventually defined windows and frames was great and what I had hoped for with my original question, your initial posts had no explanatory writing and consisted of bolded words assuming what I meant without explaining the meaning of these terms. If you don't know the difference between a frame and a window, don't know what an abominable application frame is and don't know that macs don't have wallpaper, then your comments come across as pedantic and snobby. Its my right to have an opinion on what you say without being told to perform some 'act' on myself. What a strange and playground like thing to say to someone. Yeah I am an inexperienced Mac user - got it out the box a few days ago - does it make you feel important to point out that everyone has to start somewhere?

• 12. Re: Main window with tools is partly off screen so cant see tools - cant be dragged.
                                Level 5

Insulting post with absolutely no merit deleted by moderator. Perhaps it's time for both parties in this squabble to go stand in a corner and think about what they've done. And to force the issue, I'm locking the thread.