6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 7:19 AM by karenf1

Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?

karenf1 Level 1

I'm a basic & new user of AE. I want to make a very simple book trailer for a children's picture book. iMovie was almost good enough. I made my first book trailer with it and it was sufficient:   Butterfly Comes To Town - YouTube

But I want more control over the title placement & the Ken Burns effect. I'm getting the animation part of AE - but not the technical stuff. Could anyone tell me when I open a new composition - what should I choose as a preset in the pulldown menu? I'm confused -- in the forum -- Re: Best and most efficient movie format for website- I read this recommendation: "A common choice these days is H.264."

But I don't see that in the drop down.

• 1. Re: Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, and unless you have some very specific reason for doing otherwise always use a full high definition sized comp. I prefer 29.97 fps. That will do it for your composition.

if you are just getting started with aftereffects take a half an hour and follow all three of these tutorials: How to add effects, motion graphics in After Effects | Adobe After Effects CC tutorials

The last video will show you how to render.

• 2. Re: Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?
            karenf1 Level 1

Thanks so much Rick. Those tutorials look great. But I am in CS5.5. i should have mentioned that. Do you think too much has changed for me to use those tutorials? again, thanks!

• 3. Re: Re: Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?
              karenf1 Level 1

Rick, again, thank you for your help. When I set the preset as you suggest it gives me a measurement of 1440 x 1080. I am creating art files to import. It seems that i should create them at that size. Could you confirm that this is correct?

• 4. Re: Re: Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?
                karenf1 Level 1

I've begun looking at the videos. Here's what's confusing in the first of the videos:

1. No preset is chosen. The narrator closes that window and says: let's start from scratch. I'm confused. What size movie does that create?

2. in that first opening dialog box you can create a new composition -- or -- open a project. That's quite confusing. What's the difference? Why can't I create a project -- or open a composition? I've learned tons of programs successfully - but I am finding AE very baffling. Many thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You picked the wrong preset... look at the PAR.

Use this one:

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 11.03.54 PM.png

An After Effects project is a file that contains references to your source footage and any compositions you created. A composition is what eventually becomes a movie (video). You can have many compositions and many different sources of footage. The footage is never altered in any way, it is just used in a composition. If you move a footage file to another folder, the next time you open AE the footage will be reported as missing, because the Project file does not store footage, it only stores references to the footage. IOW, myCoolFootage.mov is stored on my D drive in the New Projects folder.

Does that help???  Work your way through the Basic Workflow tutorials and you'll get a good start on what's going on. The only thing that has really changed in the last 20 years in AE are the number of features and effects you can use. The operating principal has never changed. Import footage, put the footage in a composition, do something with the footage by applying effects or masks or blend modes and render your composition (your movie).

• 6. Re: Making a book trailer in AE - what format to use?
                    karenf1 Level 1

Rick. Many, many thanks for your patience & generosity. Yes - that clarification was very clear and helpful. I'm going to give these setting a try and go back those the movies you recommended. They were very clear. Re: AE versions - the only thing i see, so far, that is different in cloud AE - is the media encoder for out putting the movies.

I'm going to start a new thread to ask one more question about one thing that's really stumping me. The Layer Timeline window and the Footage(?) window. I hope you'll help me understand it! Again - so many thanks!