13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 5:52 PM by karenf1

Closing a composition quits AE?

karenf1 Level 1

I'm trying to learn AE - cs5. I'm finding the learning curve bafflingly hard. I've animated in several other programs including Flash / iMovie. I've done hours of the lynda.com AE essentials course - but it seems like such a quirky program.

Question #1. When I click the red circle in the upper right of the window to close a file/project/composition - the entire program quits. Am I doing something wrong? This would be the equivalent of closing a PS or AI file -- and that causing the entire program to quit.

Again - Am I missing something? Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> When I click the red circle in the upper right of the window to close a file/project/composition - the entire program quits.

That is the standard operating system control for quitting an application.

• 2. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

To expand a little on Todd's answer...

Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash allow you to have multiple documents open.

In After Effects the equivalent of a document is a project. You can only have one project open at a time and must always have one project open, even if it's only an empty, unsaved project. Thus, clicking the close button will close the application.

Use the File > Close Project command to close only the open project, or simply open a different project or create a new one.

Within a project you can have multiple compositions, open at the same time if you wish. To close an individual composition, close the Timeline panel for that composition.

This article in Help may be useful for you:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/general-user-interface-items.html

• 3. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
              karenf1 Level 1

Aha! Tim - That solves the mystery! Until now, I've only used programs with multiple documents. I've been using the Adobe suite for a decade + and that just didn't seem consistent. And ... it isn't! Thanks for making that clear. I thought I was going crazy!

• 4. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                karenf1 Level 1

One more question about this. The reason I was trying to shut the program - If I want to start a new PROJECT - and I already am working in AE - my only option offered in the NEW dialog - is New Composition. When I click yes to that it shows in my new composition panel of the current Project. So -- HOW do I start a new, clean, empty project?

• 5. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?

To start a new project, use the File > New > Project command. You can also use File > Close Project to close the current open project and you will be left in a blank, unsaved project.

I understand your confusion moving from the other Adobe creative applications to After Effects. Manipulating video, ie. pixels over time, introduces a different set of problems from working on a static document, thus a different user experience is provided. Hopefully the training materials you're working with are getting you introduced to these concepts.

From the other post you made this morning, it sounds like you'll want to read up on workspaces.

After Effects Help | Workspaces, panels, and viewers

AE Basics 1: Workspaces in Adobe After Effects : Adobe After Effects basics Tutorial

• 6. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                    karenf1 Level 1

Many thanks Tim. Thanks for clarifying that my questions are about the Workspace. AE is such a wide-ranging program that even identifying what's that's confusing me is a job in itself! I'm off to read the tutorials at the links you've provided. Any chance you have a few choice words of wisdom on Timeline / vs Footage Panel. They seem so close in nature that I get confused about what they each do and how to navigate them without feeling like Alice in Wonderland!

• 7. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I very strongly recommend that new users start here and go through the resources in order:

http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

• 8. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                        karenf1 Level 1

Thanks Todd. I will go through these. Those 3 movies you pointed out earlier were really great. Much clearer than the lynda movies as far as the basics were concerned,

• 9. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                          karenf1 Level 1

I'm confused - the movies don't play when I click on them? Am I doing something wrong?

• 10. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?

karenf1 wrote:

Any chance you have a few choice words of wisdom on Timeline / vs Footage Panel. They seem so close in nature that I get confused about what they each do and how to navigate them without feeling like Alice in Wonderland!

They aren't similar.

The Timeline panel is the time layout of your composition. This is where you manage your layers in both time and layer order, as well as change values and set keyframes for layer properties (position, scale, etc.) and effects. It's similar to the Layers panel in Photoshop in some ways, very different in other ways. Much of your work in After Effects will be focused in this panel.

The Footage panel allows you to preview footage you have imported into your project. For example, if you have imported 5 movie files into your project and want to see what is in each of them before you add it to a composition, double-clicking on a movie file in the Project panel will open it in the Footage panel. The Footage panel is similar to the Composition and Layer panels in that it displays pixels and allows you to preview (play) the contents. You won't likely be using this panel very much.

• 11. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                              karenf1 Level 1

It seems that the Footage panel is the "equivalent" of the Event panel in iMovie? Thanks!

• 12. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?

karenf1 wrote:

It seems that the Footage panel is the "equivalent" of the Event panel in iMovie? Thanks!

I couldn't say, I'm not familiar with iMovie and its terminology. Making certain assumptions, that doesn't sound to me like it would be correct.

If you like, think of the Footage panel as a movie player window. It is only used for movies found in the Project panel. And of course this is a simplification; the Footage panel has more capability than simple playback.

• 13. Re: Closing a composition quits AE?
                                  karenf1 Level 1

Tim, I can't thank you enough for your help. I'm going thru some of your suggested links & going thru some videos at lynda.com. And I have no doubt I'll be back here in the forum with more questions. Again, thanks!