9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 9:21 PM by JJMack

Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash

Nothing2NoOne

I've never had a problem with Photoshop until lately. Now every time I start working on an image it will either quit letting me work popping up a simple program error message. Also it will just pop up an exception error and force me to close the program. To top it all off my recovery for my images doesn't work anymore either so i have to restart. I've tried adjusting the RAM allocation, scratch disk, cache levels, etc. The program has become completely useless to me. Can someone please help me out here.

• 1. Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We can't know. You have not provided any detailed system info or crash logs nor do we know your version of PS.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
            Nothing2NoOne Level 1

Right. My apologies. Here are my system specs.

Windows Version=6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Photoshop Version=14.2.1 x64

File Type=Many different formats including JPEG 500x655 72x72dpi 8 bit 137 KB

Sys. Specs.

AMD FX-8350

8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-14900 Unbuffered NON-ECC

Scratch File was on my OS drive which is a 240GB SSD with 121 GB Free space.

Then it was on my D: drive 60 GB SSD with 20 GB Free space.

I now use a dedicated partition on a secondary drive of 350 GB with 349 GB Free space.

GPUs Specs=

DirectX version: 11.0

GPU processor: GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Driver version: 340.52

Direct3D API version: 11

Direct3D feature level: 11_0

CUDA Cores: 1344

Core clock: 967 MHz

Memory data rate: 6008 MHz

Memory interface: 192-bit

Memory bandwidth: 144.19 GB/s

Total available graphics memory: 4096 MB

Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB GDDR5

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 2048 MB

Video BIOS version: 80.04.4B.00.5B

IRQ: 24

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

Device Id: 10DE 1183 841F1043

Part Number: 2004 0001

GPU processor: GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Driver version: 340.52

Direct3D API version: 11

Direct3D feature level: 11_0

CUDA Cores: 1344

Core clock: 967 MHz

Memory data rate: 6008 MHz

Memory interface: 192-bit

Memory bandwidth: 144.19 GB/s

Total available graphics memory: 4096 MB

Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB GDDR5

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 2048 MB

Video BIOS version: 80.04.4B.00.5B

IRQ: 32

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

Device Id: 10DE 1183 841F1043

Part Number: 2004 0001

[Components]

NvGFTrayPluginr.dll 15.3.36.0 NVIDIA GeForce Experience

NvGFTrayPlugin.dll 15.3.36.0 NVIDIA GeForce Experience

nvui.dll 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdsync.exe 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdbat.dll 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvxdapix.dll 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

NVCPL.DLL 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component

nvCplUI.exe 7.8.760.0 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvWSS.dll 6.14.13.4052 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvViTvS.dll 6.14.13.4052 NVIDIA Video Server

NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.13.4052 NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer

NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.13.4052 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application

NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.13.4052 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module

NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA Media Center Library

nvDispS.dll 6.14.13.4052 NVIDIA Display Server

PhysX 09.13.1220 NVIDIA PhysX

NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.13.4052 NVIDIA CUDA 6.5.12 driver

nvGameS.dll 6.14.13.4052 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

I'm not exactly sure how to access the crash reports.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
              Nothing2NoOne Level 1

Can no one help me? I wasn't trying to be rude I was just really irritated from losing my progress again.

• 4. Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
                Level 5

Nothing2NoOne, I've been a Mac user for just about 30 years, and I only used Windows when I was forced to during my employment with the U.S. Judiciary for fifteen years, through the summer of 2005.

From that point of view, I have to say that your computer sounds kind of puny, with insufficient resources.

Starting with RAM, 4 GB won't cut it these days.  The minimum requirements published by Adobe are way too optimistic.  Again these days 8 GB is consider the minimum.  I personally run CS6 with 16 GB and others have 32 GB, 62 GB and even 128 GB install,  I can only drool when I get to work in one of those machines.

20 GB for scratch is very, very little.  I would even call it pathetic.

The rule of thumb I follow to figure out scratch space says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the scratch file exceed 800 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed.

Additionally, if you only have a single HD, i.e. your boot drive, you'd need it to be large enough to accommodate both the swap files of the OS as well as Photoshop's scratch.

You mention that you "had never had a problem with Photoshop until lately".  Has the nature of your work changed lately?  Are you now suddenly working on more substantial files than you were before?

What are your settings in Photoshop Preferences > Performance.  Here are mine as an example, just to make sure we are referencing the same settings:

Ps_13_Prefs_Perform_settings.png

Sorry to tell you, in effect, that your computer sucks, but that's just how I see it. 

• 5. Re: Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
                  Nothing2NoOne Level 1

Wow thanks for your help there buddy. Except if you was really trying to help instead of comparing systems you would of realized that "Starting with RAM, 4 GB won't cut it these days." isn't my issue cause "8 GB is consider the minimum" which I have.

The file i'm working on is 137 KB's

"20 GB for scratch is very, very little.  I would even call it pathetic." I discovered this for myself. That's why I changed from my pathetic scratch to a dedicated partition of 350 GB's. I'm not sure how you thought I might only have one drive when I mentioned 3 in my post. I don't know why you replied to my plea for help but I hope you got something out of it.

Here's my current settings in case you notice something that's causing my issues.

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Re: Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
                    Level 5

Simply disregard my post, if you didn't like it.  You're entitled to your money back: $0.00. 

Guess I misread some of the typographically bunched-up lines in your previous post. Also, quickly glancing at them again, I don't readily see the three drives you mention now.

Usually, I stay away from Windows posts like the plague, but your second post made me think no one had replied or was going to.

The screen shot clearly shows you do have enough scratch space, but from your second post I had gathered you had gone from 121 GB to a mere 20 G:

You wrote:

Scratch File was on my OS drive which is a 240GB SSD with 121 GB Free space.

Then it was on my D: drive 60 GB SSD with 20 GB Free space.

I suppose I just stopped reading (about scratch) after that.

I have to say that it wasn't that easy wading through your idiosyncratic grammar and syntax, as I am not a native English speaker:  "if you was really trying , "…you would of realized…"  [ I "would of"? Really?]

"I don't know why you replied to my plea for help…"

Most probably out of a misguided compassionate impulse.  I regret that now. Sorry.

Anyway, for the sake of thoroughness, I must say that I still consider 8 GB of RAM the current, realistic bare minimum to run Photoshop these days.

• 7. Re: Re: Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
                      Nothing2NoOne Level 1

Well thank you for replying. Yes my grammar is equal to that of a small child. I do apologize but I am not very educated. I've been teaching myself to use Photoshop. I will figure it out eventually.

• 8. Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
                        Level 5

One more thing, as a matter of principle.

Nothing2NoOne wrote:

…you would of realized that "Starting with RAM, 4 GB won't cut it these days." isn't my issue cause "8 GB is consider the minimum" which I have…

"Minimum" means just that: the application will launch and run.  How well it runs is a different matter.

• 9. Re: Photoshop Consistently fills my RAM leading to not being able to save or crash
                          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Nothing2NoOne wrote:

I'm not exactly sure how to access the crash reports.

In your Windows 7 start button search field type "rel". You will see View reliability history near the top of what is found for rel. Click on View reliability history to open it. You will see a panel with date some will will have red X indicating Application failures on the day. Look for days CC 2014 crashed then click on  the CC 2014 failures to see the crash reports.  8GB of RAM if not a lot of ram for Photoshop.  That may cause Photoshop to use lot more  Scratch space.  120GB  free may well  not be enough.  I have see CC 2014 use more.  You also have your primary scratch spade on you system SSD. Photoshop will fill up that disk before looking for additional disk with scratch space.  Windows need free disk space on its system disk to run smoothly. I would suggest getting at lease 8GB more RAM for your machine. View screen capture in new tab or browser window ans scale to actual pixels this site scale upload images poorly.

Capture.jpg