8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 4:45 AM by Peter Spier

Devnagri issues

raghugada Level 1

Hi,

1. How to paragraph style across the document (which contains multiple text frames) ?

2. Can we export all the text to RTF (which contains multiple text frames) ?

3. can we save as the indesign doc to word doc ?

4. Does the spell checker works for only unicode fonts or for all types of fonts ?

5. My fonts are in TTF format can we enable spell checker for these types of fonts ?

6. whats the difference between opentype and truetype fonts ?

7.  can we use paragraph style to replace the characters (by using grep style) ?

• 1. Re: Devnagri issues
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

1. Open the Paragraph Styles panel/palette (they've been called panels since about CS4, palettes previously) and the open the panel flyout menu in the upper right corner and choose New Paragraph Style. Define the parameters you need (or you can predefine them by formatting a paragraph and opening the definition dialog). Styles can be applied across an entire document to existing text using Find/Change to identify some unique characteristics in the existing paragraphs that allow you to isolate them, then choose the paragraph style that should be assigned as the Change Format.

2. If you place an active cursor in any story, without making a selection, then choose Export from the File menu you should see a variety of text format options. If no text is selected, the entire story, even if threaded across multiple frames and including overset text, will be included, but you must do this one story at a time. If there is a text selection, only the selected text will be exported.

3. InDesign cannot be saved directly as Word. You may have some success exporting to PDF and saving that as Word in Acrobat, but don't expect a perfect conversion.

4 & 5. Spell checker does not depend on the font. It depends on the language assigned to the text (a Character attribute) and whether there is a dictionary available for the language. Support for Hunspell dictionaries was added in CS6, I believe, so if the language you need is not bundled with ID you may be able to find a Hunspell dictionary that you can install. I believe this is covered in the Help files.

6. OpenType is a "wrapper" format that can contain either Postscript or True-type font outlines and works cross-platform. OpenType fonts can also contain thousands of glyphs, so they are more suitable for complex scripts and can contain glyphs to support many different languages at the same time.

7. GREP styles can only apply character formatting (by applying a defined character style) to matching text. They cannot change the actual text. You can change the font used, for example, but not the character entered.

• 2. Re: Devnagri issues
            Derek Cross Level 6

It's best to stick to Open Type Fonts if you plan to produce any ePubs in the future.

• 3. Re: Devnagri issues
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Some minor notes:

Peter Spier wrote:

3. InDesign cannot be saved directly as Word. You may have some success exporting to PDF and saving that as Word in Acrobat, but don't expect a perfect conversion.

InDesign can export to RTF, which is second best to a native Word .doc or .docx. This RTF can be opened with Word, and will include character and paragraph styles.

4 & 5. Spell checker does not depend on the font. It depends on the language assigned to the text (a Character attribute) and whether there is a dictionary available for the language. Support for Hunspell dictionaries was added in CS6, I believe, so if the language you need is not bundled with ID you may be able to find a Hunspell dictionary that you can install. I believe this is covered in the Help files.

The Spell checker relies for 100% on the fact that a font (be it a Type-1, TTF or OTF font) needs to be properly encoded. It is perfectly possible, for any font type, to display a character "1" as an "A". The spell check does not 'see' how a character is displayed, it only checks the actual contents. Therefore, if you have such a badly encoded font, text that appears visible as "Arg!" will be spell checked as "1rg!". Neither InDesign itself nor the spell checker module can check if a font is "lying" about its encoding; and if you find a font that does, it's best to not use it.

• 4. Re: Devnagri issues

Interesting note about the encoding problems (and they could easily show up in older non-unicode "hacked" fonts for complext scripts), so thanks for sharing that.

I think I covered the export to RTF under point 2. RTF would be one of those format options. One cannot export a .indd document to any text or word-processor accessible format -- only the stories within the file, and I think that's an important distinction here.

• 5. Re: Devnagri issues
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Ah yes, all export options are for plain text only. I never tried the PDF-to-Word route (or hardly ever), can't say anything on how good that is.

I wonder which one of the OP's seven questions was related to the "Devanagari issue" mentioned in the title.

• 6. Re: Devnagri issues

If you've been following along over the last week you may recall this all started with trying to place a Word file, and it cam in missing fonts, while copy/paste from the same Word file worked fine.

• 7. Re: Devnagri issues
                      raghugada Level 1

How can we identify that the font we are using is properly encoded ?

I have placed the sample devnagri font that i am using, try downloading from the link below

http://www.filedropper.com/shre715

I am unable to use the dictionary using this devnagri font

• 8. Re: Devnagri issues

If you open that font in the Glyphs panel you'll see it has only a bit more than 200 characters, and they are mapped to the ASCII Latin positions, so no, this is not a proper Unicode font.