5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 6:01 AM by johnhawk666

Lightroom 5 - Re-installing existing licence to new laptop

parisadele

Hi there

I recently had an accident with my laptop.  It is now dead.  I want to re-install Lightroom 5 which I purchased as a download, I have the licence number.  I have attempted downloading via free trial, as per forum suggestions but this forced me to download Creative Cloud and would not accept my licence number, says it is not applicable that I already have it.  My understanding is that you can install the program onto two computers, as long as they both belong to the same person. I have spent a couple of hours fiddling around and am getting frustrated, can someone offer some advise please.  thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 - Re-installing existing licence to new laptop
          parisadele Level 1

To add to this, I have since read that I need to deactivate the program and reactivate it.  I am unable to do this from the computer, as it is no longer operational.  I have already lost all my settings everything in Lightroom.  For four hours now, I have been trying to glean from the forum how to do this, without having to use up my 2 computer quantity or to simply just load it up to no avail.  The 'contact us' button seems to be broken, it just sends me on a merry journey of more forums, or asks me to exit the browser and log in again and again, I go off on the same journey.  Is it actually possible to reach anyone at Adobe? Four hours seems like a mighty long time to try to work out an answer, it is completely time wasting and extremely frustrating.  I have never quite come across anything like this before.  I would really appreciate some assistance please.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 - Re-installing existing licence to new laptop
            NicHamilton Level 3

This seems to be a fairly frequent problem, it seems to be hard to find the non-CC version for download and the CC version won't work with a non CC license key.

So, here's what I believe you need to do:

1. Uninstall the CC version you've downloaded and installed.
            2. Go to here http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html
            3. That should take you to the country-specific download page.  I know it says updates but if you click on the Windows or Mac version of LR it's actually the whole program
            4. Download and follow the instructions for installation and then enter your serial number when asked to.

Stand-alone LR does not need de-activating, you can install it on your new laptop with the old number without any problems.  I've done it myself in the past as I've moved on to newer PCs.  CC and pre-CC Photoshop does need de-activation but not non CC LR. 

Good luck!

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 - Re-installing existing licence to new laptop
              parisadele Level 1

NicHamilton ... you are my hero!  I can't tell you how frustrated and upset I was getting trying to deal with this.  It worked.  I should have done something useful with the past four hours and waited for a response from you.  I send you multiple virtual kisses across the internet.  Thank you so much.  I don't even know how it has worked, but I have 8000 images sitting there as well and they should be in a separate hard drive. Possibly something to do with the retrieved data from my dead computer.  Thank so much.  This should be a sticky for all to read!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 - Re-installing existing licence to new laptop
                NicHamilton Level 3

You're welcome, glad it worked for you, the Forum's good like that.

The 8,000 images sitting there may be just previews in the catalog so be careful.  Unless you have the original files in the same drive designation and location as on your old machine LR might need you to point at the exact location of the image real files.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 - Re-installing existing licence to new laptop
                  johnhawk666 Level 3

You can install Lr from a perpetual licence on two separate computers, as you previously surmised.

Thanks, NicHamilton for that very useful page, which leads you to a page listing most previous versions of Lr.