13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 7:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Grainy Video

krodd6

I have PE12 and just bought a new Windows 8 laptop with all the bells ad whistles to better able to work on my videos on PE12.  I have a Sony HD hard drive camcorder and imported my files directly from the memory card and the editing process went great however now that I burned to DVD, the faces look very grainy in the video.  It's a wedding video and mostly around the eyes and mouth you can notice it most.  I set the project settings but with this being my first hard drive project and camcorder, I'm a little confused as to what setting I should have my project set to etc if this is even the case. 

• 1. Re: Grainy Video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do know that a DVD is "about" 1/4 the resolution of High Definition?

Comparison picture of video screen sizes http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1120039

• 2. Re: Grainy Video
            krodd6 Level 1

Yes I do know that. But this isn't the first DVD I've made but it is the first working with this new HD camcorder which takes beautiful video. So I'd appreciate your advice on how to get this to look better. I know I won't ever get the quality of a Hollywood movie but just clearer as far as the graininess goes.

• 3. Re: Grainy Video
              krodd6 Level 1

Also, if this helps, I also notice the graininess even when I preview it on the computer before even burning.

• 4. Re: Grainy Video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

krodd76

We need to go into the project preset and factor in or out that choice related to the problem that is presenting.

1. What is the model/settings of the Sony camera that is recording your video? Is it recording with an interlaced or progressive frame rate....for example, 1080i or 1080p? We are looking for

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Width

Frame Height

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Hopefully we can get that information from the specifications of your camera and your camera recording settings.

2. The project preset needs to be set to match the properties of the source media. When you are using HD interlaced video as the source, its field order Upper Field First is a consideration when the destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD which is interlaced with field order Lower Field First.

Lots to discuss. But first we need the details with which to work.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Grainy Video
                  krodd6 Level 1

Ok, the camera settings are set to HD 1080/60i FH and my video clip properties are image size 1920x1080, frame rate 29.97, source audio format is 48000Hz - compressed stereo, project audio format is 48000Hz - 32 bit floating point - stereo and the pixel aspect ratio is 1.0.  My project settings in this particular project I'm working on is :editing mode HD 1080i, timebase 29.97 frames/second, frame size 1920x1080, pixel aspect ratio is grayed out but says "square pixels 1.0), fields: upper field first, display format 30fps drop-frame timecode.  Hope this helps so you can help me!! 

• 6. Re: Grainy Video
                    krodd6 Level 1

Oh also!!  The file extension it .mts

Type is MPEG Movie

• 7. Re: Grainy Video
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

krodd6

Thanks for the reply with a lot of helpful information.

Looking good for project preset (NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30) being in agreement with your source media 1080 60i (which is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, also known as 60 fields per second).

But the consideration for HD interlaced footage is its field order (Upper Field First) when the destination is DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc (field order = Lower Field First). There are two approaches to work on this field order business

1. Import your video to the Timeline, right click it, and, from the pop up menu, select Field Options, followed by Reverse Field Dominance.

Then move on to the rest of the project, menus, and burn to disc, using they  NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset in the burn dialog.

2. If all you have is that video format on the Timeline, then you might consider setting the project preset manually to

NTSC

Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders

Full HD1080i30

and then import your video into the project. Do not apply Field Option Reverse Field Dominance in this route.

And, continue in the project.

See details in link

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

3. If you get the chance, do a burn to AVCHD on DVD disc (you can do that with a regular DVD/CD burner, using the NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 project preset.

Do not apply Field Options Reverse Field Dominance. I think that you will find an improved end product, of course for the greater

resolution, but also because you will be going from field order Upper Field First to Upper Field First, instead of field order Upper

Field First to Lower Field First.

Any chance you could look at shooting 1080p in order to compare your DVD-VIDEO on DVD end products from 1080p and 1080i footage?

Looking forward to your results - better, same, or worse?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Grainy Video
                        krodd6 Level 1

OK...I did as you explained each way and burned new discs...no changes at all.  I did, however, shoot a test video with my camera now set to 1080/60p PS.  I'm using a Sony NXCAM 30.  Burned a sample disc and MUCH better!!  Now, my question is...I have this wedding that was shot in 1080/60i...now how do I get it to look more like my test shot of 1080/60p?  At least enough to look clearer and not pixelated around the eyes and fine edges.  Thank you so much!

• 9. Re: Grainy Video
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

krodd66

I need to think about this in the morning. But to give me perspective, are you saying using your interlaced source video, that neither the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD nor the burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc gave you good quality video?

If you have not done a burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc, then please do so...

1. project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc with Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080iNTSC Dolby

What does that look like when played back on a player that supports AVCHD format on DVD disc.

2. also look at

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

At the Timeline level, right click the interlaced video, select Field Options, but this time select just Always Deinterlace.

Then Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with presets = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

What does that look like when played back on a computer or TV DVD player?

With regard to the grainy video, please remind me if you are seeing this before and after burn to. I am wondering about

an interlace issue versus a video grain issue and wonder if a 3rd party software like Neat Video Filter would be indicated.

Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Grainy Video
                            krodd6 Level 1

I can't burn this project to AVCHD on DVD as it says the file is too large.  It's a wedding video that is 1 hour long...unless there's a way to compress?  But when I shot samples last night and burned to AVCHD they were great...but this file is too large for that apparently.  When burning the wedding video to DVD-VIDEO on DVD it looks a little better but not too impressed.   And yes this is with the same interlaced video source.  I found that shooting 1080/60p produced much better quality in premiere, however, with this bein a wedding...there's no do-over

• 11. Re: Grainy Video
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

krodd6

Have you tried the burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc using a double layer single sided disc DVD+R DL (8.5 GB/240 minutes)? In reality the 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB).

Just some experimenting...

Project Preset = the same

NTSC

AVCHD

Full 1080i30

No Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace is to be applied.

But, this time, export your Timeline content to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Then, start a new project with the project preset =

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Import the AVCHD.mp4 that you exported in the prior project.

No Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace is to be applied.

But, this time, burn your Timeline content to

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen-_Dolby DVD.

We will be watching for the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Grainy Video
                                krodd6 Level 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are truly a life saver..Lol. I aprreciate your patience and help so much! Burned an AVCHD and it is the most crisp and clean video I've ever had. Thank you again!

• 13. Re: Grainy Video
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

krodd6

Thanks for the update and great news.

Did you use the double layer single sided DVD disc for the AVCHD format on DVD disc or did you manage to get your AVCHD format on DVD disc using the standard DVD disc with the 4.7 GB/120 minutes specifications?

Whatever the case, great news and great follow through to get to success.

Best wishes

ATR